Help bypassing HVC on Controller

scottland

1 µW
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and could possibly use some help.

I started off with a 36v "500W" kit from eBay. It came with a Direct drive hub motor and a 12fet controller. All in all, not too bad for $150. I was using a pair of Ryobi drill batteries to power it at 36v while I built a 48v battery myself. It worked fine at 36v

So I finished building my 48v battery based on 18650s (13s5p), and when I plug it in, it seems like the HVC on the controller is kicking in.

- The little LED lights on the throttle do light up
- Nothing happens when I turn the throttle.
- The caps on the controller are rated at 63v
- It doesn't appear to be the battery BMS, to confirm this, I wired an additional power drill battery in series with my other two drill batteries. The three batteries in series measured 56v in their various states of charge. Same symptoms. I took one back out of series, and the motor spins right up.

So it definitely looks like this controller has a HVC set somewhere between 42v and 54v.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the controller. http://imgur.com/a/p3KYn

Does anyone have idea how to remove the HVC. I'm assuming there's a resister somewhere that's setting the nominal voltage?

Well, I took a blind stab at it, and figured those two little solder pads labeled as "60V" were for something.

I soldered them together, and boom, it works great.

Hopefully this helps out someone who has the same question. I still have to get if the LVC works properly. We'll see

Back