Help! I short circuited my new battery..

I was building a wire for my new battery (this one) and had to do some adjustments on the connector. I forgot to disconnect the wire from the battery which resulted in that the + and - of the battery got short circuited directly to each other. It lasted for about 3-4 seconds.

So now i am afraid that i destroyed it. I measured the voltage directly after and it seemed fine. Then i measured again about 5 minutes later and the battery was dead. Strange.
There is a fuse that is accessible from the outside of the battery, i checked it and it is still ok. The fuse is connected directly on the + from the battery, and it says 25A.

Right now its on the charger, i thought it might help.

Any advice is welcome :cry:

Puh, i found out why the battery was dead. After i checked the fuse, it didn't connect well. So now after adjusting the fuse it works again. Pretty strange that the fuse is still intact after such a major short circuit.

I would still like to hear if anybody has any general info on short circuiting battery. What damage have been done to the battery? Is there any thing have to do now to minimise the damage?

Your a lucky man. You could have found out you had a defective fuse while riding and it could have been a disaster. I too have dead shorted my lifepo4 packs from time to time. It's really not that big of deal provided its a short period. It's one of those thing we old guys do to wakeup in the morning...LOL. I'm guessing you have one of those "high grade" Chinese fuses that blow when/if they feel like it. Ive had Chinese fuses blow way early and like you not at all. So I would highly recommend replacing it with a good quality Buss fuse and be careful in future. Bob

the BMS has short circuit protection i would assume, not something i like to test on all packs i get but when it works as advertised, it is not an issue.. the BMS simply shuts off the power and once the short is cleared it turns back on. ( sometimes you have to hook up the charger for the reset to happen ) .

the over-current setting is lower than the fuse rating, from the looks of it, a good thing as long as it does not cut out on the bike while in use.

Back