Hightekbike Motor Review and comparison

Drunkskunk

100 GW
A few weeks ago I ordered a rear 26" Motor from HBterry of Hightekbikes for the purpose of testing. He had graciously offered to sell 5 kits at a discount to members of this forum, and I am told I was the first.

1 week after placing my order, I got an Email "Dear Customer: We recently experienced a shipping delay with out supplier for the DD kits, Ampedbikes."

?????

I must admit I was a bit puzzled, As I had assumed from Terry's post that this was a unique motor from Hightekbikes.com, but none the less, I was glad for the email, and shortly after I received a shipping notice. The package arrived late yesterday by UPS in good condition. 2 weeks wait, not unreasonable 2 weeks before Christmas.

The motor is well packaged, the accessories were separately boxed and the box was taped down to avoid sliding around. The package was marked R205 -26"

The motor is laser etched with Ampedbike's, not Hitechbike's logo. On my bathroom scale, the motor and rim weigh 15.8lbs. The scale isn't ideal for this weight range, but its exactly what my 9c 9X7 weighs on the same scale. Dimensionally, they measure exactly the same with a tape measure. The spoke flanges are nicely offset so the rim is centered, with no dishing needed. The plugs match in style, color, and gauge with the 9Cs I've had. The rim is a heavy double wall with 12 gauge spokes which were all tight. The rim has rim tape. The first I've seen in a kit, but it's thin stuff.

Hightekbikes.com Claims: "Motor power is 700 watt nominal, 1200 watt peak." I find that seriously odd, as the package and email show this motor was supplied from Ampedbike, and they claim: "brushless motor 500W-750W"

I found the number on the box interesting, but couldn't pin down why, so on a hunch, I decided to check out a motor supplier in china, cnjzdj.com. They offer many custom to order motors in the 500 watt range, and the model number is 205. Curious. If the name Cnjzdj sounds familiar to you, it should. They are also known as Wenling City Nine Continent Motor Manufacture Co., Ltd.
Of course, they do build to custom specs, So if they are the manufacturer, then it is possible the motor is different in some way from those marketed as None Continent motors.

Terry claims this motor is not a 9c, and will produce better torque and efficacy. Even if my suspicions are right about the manufacturer, Terry's claims may well be true, and this motor may be fundamentally different and better than what we know as the 9C. From that perspective, it isn't a 9C. I'm proceeding with an open mind.

Its Raining, a couple degrees above freezing, and Christmas eve. More testing will have to wait. For now, Pic and Links.

http://www.hightekbikes.com/DD-hub-motor-kits.html
http://www.ampedbikes.com/kits.html
http://www.cnjzdj.com/e_product.asp?FType=42

Believe it or not, UPS delivered a box that looks this good!
DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

Big cat Approves of this motor.
DSCF1111.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of the info and testing. :) I wanted to try this motor but could not scrape up enough sponsorship to do it. (I have a local acquaintance that wants to eventually motorize his bike, but wants me to try out stuff first to "perfect" what he'd be getting, after I get him to pick out what he thinks he wants and then buy it, I'll test it and work out the bugs, then set it up for his bike, since he just wants pure plug-and-play, with "lots of power").

I'm not totally sure, but that pic with Big Cat makes the cat look as big as Nana (St. Bernard) or Hachi (St. Germard)!

Getting tired of people searching the supplier of this motor...
Seems to me it's this one:
http://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/product/281778494-0/electric_bicycle_conversion_kit.html
Ampedbikes, Hightekbikes, Cellman, and others in Germany and Austria. Elfkw in Austria was the first to sell them, and managed to keep the secret for a long time. But now on the German Pedelecforum it isn't a secret anymore!

This is all very interesting.
Can you tell me if the spokes are stainless?
The kit I got from Amped-Bikes had plain steel spokes and they rusted quickly!
Also, the rim was entry level, but I think they all are.....

Mundo

I haven't seen any pics inside the Amped Bikes motors yet, so if you're willing to open the motor, I think the stamping of the stator is the easy tell of whether it's a 9C, the MXUS from Changzhou Hua Yu Xin Feng Motor Co., Ltd.. or another design.
The 9C have fat and skinny stamped short spokes, the MXUS are all the same.

Metallover's 9C from e-bikekit

S7302212.jpg

Burtie's MXUS from Cell_man

file.php

Same magnet width as the other? 28mm? It could have stronger magnets I suppose, giving different performance. I think the wattage thing is just how you look at rating it. At 48v using the usual 23 amp controller, you see 1200 watts on a CA briefly on a 9c 2807. The motor rating may be 500 watts, where you can ride without overheating the motor infinitely.

Been wanting to test one myself, but cash poor, lipo rich this season.

Putting one though the exact same hill climb test I've done with other motors would tell all I think. Be REALLY nice if they filled that empty niche in the market, slower windings for dirt and cargo bikes. 2809 and 2810 are currently unavaliable here. Damn I wish I could lay my hands on more 2810's for dirt. I'd even pay for em! :lol:

The small market niche can be good for the smaller retailer.

Edit. Looking at another review, of the Aotema maxi might, I think there may be some confusion about which motor here. The pics show a different motor on that review. But it does look like Amped has a good motor, and it would be great if more winding options were avaliable in non clyte motors.

Interesting pics. I'll open the motor up as soon as the Holiday madness dies down a bit.

I checked out that other companies website. They also refer to their motor as a 205. While looking for a disk brake I remembered that 205mm disks are commonly called 8 inch. It may be that the 205 isn't a model number so much as a size group. I checked MXUS's web site, but they are only currently showing a geared motor. The DD pages are blank.

Someone PM'd me and asked about torque arms. There are tabbed washers, but no torque arms supplied.

The Spokes look Chrome plated, so not likely to be stainless. I'll test one with some salt water to find out for sure. The rim is typical entry level Chinese, But thick, stiff, and straight. Honestly, these common rims from china are better than many of the high end rims we had to deal with 25 years ago.

Big cat is big! But he's only about 20lbs. Its just a weird perspective shot

Well, are you happy with this rear kit? as advertised?

He haven't tell us compare the 9C and 10H motor hub. C'mon show us the cycle analyst stats compare against both 9C 9x7 and 10H.

word EPIC FAIL! I mean, seriously Hightekbike sold few peoples 10H include Maxi-Mighty motor hub and NONE review or shown the CA stats complete info compare to other motor hub.

:( No offense

chroot said:
He haven't tell us compare the 9C and 10H motor hub. C'mon show us the cycle analyst stats compare against both 9C 9x7 and 10H.

word EPIC FAIL! I mean, seriously Hightekbike sold few peoples 10H include Maxi-Mighty motor hub and NONE review or shown the CA stats complete info compare to other motor hub.

:( No offense

You've got to remember, it's January now, and at least a couple of the reviewers, IIRC, live in northerly areas where it is not comfortable (or even safe) to go out in the elements on a bike or is possibly covered with enough snow to prevent good traction to put any real miles on a bike yet. Give them some time, I'm sure we'll hear from them. Remember, they aren't being paid by HTB to do it, so I'm sure we'll get honest appraisals.

Cameron

As you said a couple of the reviewers live up north areas. Why don't Hightebike send 10H to GCinDC instead and Seriously, GCinDC is the one dare ride ANY weather even SNOWING in Washington DC!!! He would be helluva better reviewer if Hightekbike gives discount on 10H for GCinDC. He would have better choice for the review and test it in all kind condition weather.

Kinda, I followed GCinDC's direction and same setup what he has on his kickass ebike setup. Because He commuter ROUND-YEAR bad or good weather. I am follow his step doing same what I am doing on my new ebike for the commuter to work. :D

PS. Oh drunkskunk isnt live northerly area. He live in Dallas, Texas. always HOT or nice weather in winter time. hehe

oldpiper said:
You've got to remember, it's January now, and at least a couple of the reviewers, IIRC, live in northerly areas where it is not comfortable (or even safe) to go out in the elements on a bike or is possibly covered with enough snow to prevent good traction to put any real miles on a bike yet. Give them some time, I'm sure we'll hear from them. Remember, they aren't being paid by HTB to do it, so I'm sure we'll get honest appraisals.

Cameron

RTLSHIP said:
Well, are you happy with this rear kit? as advertised?

Out of the box, its great. But it's still not mounted yet. The holidays and family have been crazy, and I haven't had much shop time.

The motor was delayed. a week before christmas I had time. but by the time it got here, I had family and guests, a road trip, and endless parties and gatherings and the usual Bah Humbug of the season.

And time to think, which is often the start of trouble. I've deviced a dozen ways to improve the test. To that end, I have a new Lynn controller coming, and I may get one of Justin's new data loggers. hard data will be better. which ever motor works out better will be used in my next build.

I understand. By the way, I'm pretty sure the ebiking thing is going to boom again. gas is up to 3.00 + per gallon.
I had a small Lyen 6 FET controller and was pretty happy with it. It was set to tolerate a wide range of voltages, so it worked well.
traded it in for a bigger 12 FET Lyen.
With a stock controller, you are taking chances when you go beyond the recommended voltages. Some vendors will tell
you that the stock controller can run at 36 & 48. I'm semi-skeptical.

I was one of the individuals who purchased the Hightekbikes 10H motor from Terry with the understanding that I would provide some hands on review of the motor. This is a new build, which was originally plan for a daily commute, but my company closed the local office, so I now take a train into Philly. I would love to ride it to the train station, but I am afraid it will not be there when I return. Therefore, for now it will be a weekend rider. I am 58 y.o. and my knees have seen better days and I get carpal tunnel syndrome (numb hands) when I ride, so I have elected to purchase a comfort bike as the donor bike.

I received the rear hub motor on 6 Jan 2011. Drunkskunk did an excellent job of describing the kit with the associated pictures in the beginning of this review. Therefore, I am not going to repeat it here, but to say it looks like a solid, well package, complete kit.
I elected to purchase a Diamondback Wildwood Citi as the comfort donor bike. This is a steel bike. I did not want to have any issues with aluminum frame even though I am installing a rear hub motor. It was also cheaper. The installation of the rear hub motor is easy!!! If you can change a rear flat tire, you can install this hub. It fit perfectly. It uses tab washers for the torque “arm”. The only issue I had was the flat washer between the tab washer and the nut needed to be trimmed on the derailleur side so that it could clear the derailleur. I made a simple bracket to hold the controller where the water bottle holder would be mounted and I added a rear rack for the batteries. The placement of the thumb throttle was problematic because the shifter control on this bike is very wide. It you place the shifter between the thumb throttle and the grip, you cannot reach the throttle. So I placed the shifter on the other side of the thumb throttle, which is awkward and not ideal by any means, and I will have to figure out a better solution in the future. Wiring was strait forward, but I have a lot of extra wire, which I will have to figure out how to trim. In addition, I was surprised the supplied wire from the battery to the controller was thin (about 14 g?).

As for the rear hub motor wheel, it looks very solid and well made. I was a little surprised to see thin phase wires (approximately 14 g), but when I saw the size of the hole in the axle and I cannot imagine getting three 12 g wires into the hub. My main concern with a hub motor is the potential for cogging, which I hate. I frequently ride the bike on paths that do not allow motor bikes, so I wanted to be able to ride the bike without power to the motor and not have any significant extra effort (resistance) when pedaling the bike. So I initially tested the bike with the standard rear wheel and then with the rear hub motor wheel without any power to it. To my great satisfaction, I could not tell the difference between the two wheels. There appeared to be no significant increase in resistance with the hub motor wheel. In fact when I turned on the unit, I could not tell any increase resistance between the power and un-power state. This may support Terry’s claim that there is less drag on the wheel.

I have to admit the test ride was brief, because it is only 28 deg F with 20 mph wind gust and snow/ice cover streets. I only have a set of SLA batteries that are new and provide 39 volts. The total weight of me and the bike with motor and batteries was approximately 250 lbs. I turned the unit on and nothing exploded so that was a good sign. Acceleration was very good and I achieved 22 mph on the flat road. It dropped to about 14 mph on a 10 degree hill with a 20 mph wind gust. The bike shifted fine and the motor was nice and quiet. It was too cold out to do any significant distance at this time. That will have to wait for another day.

Whether this motor is better than the 9c I can’t tell you. Hopefully, Drunkskunk can give you some comparison results, but I think at least three of Terry claims (less drag, no significant buzzing sound, no dishing is required) are correct based upon my initial evaluation. Only distant and Philly roads will tell about the minimizing broken spokes. I do not know about the thicker leads??? It may have given me more torque, if spinning the tires on ice counts. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this motor and the ease of installation and would recommend the motor.

John

jmmorgan, Good review, It sound like same speed at 36v comparison 9C and 10H runs about 22-23mph and except as you mentioned no noise "buzzing", and less dragging. I just finished build 2nd ebike with the 9C 9x7 and I find little buzzing with 20s2p (84v full charged) and no sign of cogging yet.

I am looking forward more review from drunkshunk.

Thanks!

Back