• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

hightekbikes.com kit review- 600 Mile review

:D :D :D just hit 2000 miles on the motor, btw.

I concur with StudEbiker and Dogman, this Aotema kit from HighTekBikes Terry rocks. As a newbie I'm running at 72V/45A and it flies!
Comparison to A2B Ultramotors $3000 36 volt system makes this one way better. Cool as the hub can be, am enjoying it immensely!
Berkeley hills and more, limited only by my battery packs.
-K

Yeah, I hope those forks are stout. Must be a blast though.

Kevo is one of my customers that I have been working with. He is very adventurous to say the least. This is a road bike! I built the motor into a high quality wheel which fortunately was the same size as our 700C wheel so I could reuse the spokes. I highly recommended using torque arms and I believe he ordered some. Hightekbikes has a torque arm under development but it's not available yet. The controller is the new sensorless, high power model from Keywin. It's rated at 72V 45A. It seems to work very good with the Aotema, with the exception of some vibration when accelerating quickly. I only took a quick ride at 72V and was scared to death. It didn't help his brakes were kinda funky. I estimate his bike (700C wheels) will go 40mph. I told him to take it easy on the hills with the fork he has, no sudden jerks or stresses but so far it seems to power up the hills. I will do some more testing on this controller then offer it as an option. I'm still working on the programming, I just received the software and values to program in. I will get all that figured out and post the results soon. The controller has wires for sensors so can be used either way. He moved the LM339 chip from the sensorless daughter board to the main circuit board. The cap is 100V and the mosfets are IRF4310 100V. When I order quantity, It will have the programming port brought out as well as connectors for some of the extra features. I'm also still working on the original controller to make it bullet proof at 48V and other improvements. As I predicted, the Aotema runs at high power without getting hot (ambient temp 25C). At 20 amps, the power will about 1400 watts, at 30A it's over 2000 watts!

this is the front hub motor your selling? does it come with the matching controller? how much for the setup minus batteries?
do you think it would be better to just buy the kit like yourself.?

thanks,
Mike

Sounds good. I may be running my well worn aotema in next years spooky tooth race on a lyens 72v controller. Scare the crap out of me is just what I'm looking for in that race next year. This year I was fraidy cat, and also wanted to see how a stock kit would fare at 48v.

Even stock, I was faster than many of the gas bikes there, and in the main, did not come in quite last. Not bad for a commuter kit!

Back