Hills in europe 48V or 36V Bafang?

opperpanter

100 W
Hello people,

Just joined the forum, and already posting a question in the category "Buying advice"(YEs I am that kind of guy ;).
No seriously, as I am getting more experience, I am hoping to contribute more to the forum :)

Introduction
Due to some medical issues, I can't ride a bike by myself (pedaling is the problem).

This year I decided to convert my bike into an ebike, to see what that could bring me.
So far it's been amazing. I get about 30-35km on throttle alone, so I am getting more excited about ebikes.
It's Gazelle Fuente Xtra, probably very unknown in the US. Just pretty standard touring bike with 3x7sp shimano entry stuff.

I got a 36V250W front hub motor, running at 12Amps max. So more towards a 400W motor.
I have 36V11Ah LiFePo4 battery, built from pouch cells.
I got a special version which does a little more RPM, so I can get 20mph.
I live in the Netherlands were bikes are illegal if they can go above 16mph.
The throttle alone makes them illegal.
Pictures: topic

Bafang BBS02

I have another bike, a Specialized Hardrock Comp mountainbike.
A hub motor would have to be very big to generate enough torque to make it a useful mountainbike with throttle alone.
Since I learned the Bafang midmotor has a throttle, I fell in love with it.

Only question: Am I taking 36V500W or 48V750W?

36V or 48V

36V would give me the benefit to be able to share batteries between bikes :)
Torque amounts are more or less the same I believe?

One goal for the mountainbike (and in the future possibly my tour bike) is to be able to handle some hills.

One dream of mine is to go on a bike holiday from The Netherlands all the way to the mediteranean.
It's about 1300km and you'll have to cross two hilly areas: The Ardennes and The Jura.
I don't have hard statistics, but I have been there before. Climbs are usually not above 10% but can last some kilometers.
Let's say 5km 5% on average.

So the question is, will the 48V750W be a lot better in this terrain compared to the 36V500W?

Top speed is not important, as long as it can do 20mph on the flat.

What speed can I expect on a 5%/10% climb? The ebike simluator doesn't cater for mid motors (yet).

I think I read somewhere that 36V would be more efficient at lower speeds (climbing?).

I could also sell my existing kit, and go 48V on both bikes. Maybe even order two BBSes while I am at it :)
But it's tempting to keep the existing hub motor as a fallback motor, maybe on the bike holidays since I can't pedal myself.

Samsung 29E or Sony Konion V3

I read a lot on this forum, so I known Paul from em3ev is a supplier with good reviews, outstanding reputation.
I fell in love with the 48V750 kit, adding the biggest triangle pack of 24.5Ah based on Samsung INR18650-29E cells.
Quite light for this capacity!

Downside of ordering with Paul is that he lives on the other side of the globe.
Shipping costs are high, and probably 20% of taxes will be added by customs over here in the EU.

So I found schwibsi on the forum here, living in Germany, welding battery packs in whatever size you want (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50015&start=150&hilit=welding).
Only works with Sony cells, mainly the V3. I have yet to get some prices from him, but I already know the capacity / kg will be lower?
On the other side the Sony cells should have a much better cycle life.
As I will only be using my ebike about 3 months per year, I am more interested in calendar life.
Any thoughts on that?

The BBS02 can be ordered in Europe, so that should be fine.

So very long first post, but as you can see I am doubting what route to go.
Because of all the information, it's not (yet) clear to me what would be best.

Let me know your thoughts :)

Thanks!

Back