How deeply will UL 2849 regulate our ebikes in various ways (including repair, modification, etc.)

From what I know UL 2849 certification goes beyond the battery (which is UL 2271) to include all the electrical systems on the bike.

Does UL 2849 pertain to just the electric components? If so, could kits be certified under UL 2849? Or does UL 2849 go beyond the electrical components themselves to also include how safely the electrical components are attached or arranged on the bike? (EDIT: looks like that (and much more) is included ---> UL 2849 Testing and Certification )

Some information from the link found in my edit:

Mechanical Safety Testing: Mechanical tests assess the structural integrity of the eBike's frame, fork, handlebars, and seat, ensuring they can withstand the stresses encountered during normal operation. This includes static load tests, fatigue tests, and impact tests designed to simulate real-world use and abuse scenarios.

Performance Testing: Performance tests verify that the eBike operates as intended under various conditions, including assessments of braking systems, speed controls, and power output. This ensures the eBike provides a safe and predictable riding experience.

Last edited:
I look at it from a maintenance point of view. Local governments might cover repair or modification of ebike batteries, which I think is already the case in NYC, Otherwise, I see no restrictions. When you buy something that meets a UL standard, you're buying something where the manufacturing process and materials have been proven to meet those standards. There's no obligation for you to maintain those standards unless something like the battery is specified.

There are no laws regulating repair of appliances which fall under UL compliance, nor are there laws regarding repair of electrical cars. People are more liable to be killed working on a washing machine or even on an electric car. Probably more fires have been started by clogged dryer ductwork than ebikes.

It's maybe going to be a problem if you if you live in NYC, the highest density part of the USA with the most legitimate thing resembling an 'ebike problem'.

I would start worrying when governments start inspecting bikes and putting license plates on them.
( but this never really stops clever car tuners even today, lol )

NYC could ban unauthorized bike repairs, but you could still DIY and get away with it, and you also have nearby states where it's still commercially allowed.

TBH if i lived in such a freedom hostile environment i'd be running a heavily modified stock bike like the dudes in Europe with 250w power restrictions do.

If you live in a place that doesn't have draconian ebike laws / doesn't care, please enjoy that freedom to the fullest in the now and be responsible with it so that you get to keep it. Get ready to become the clever tuner in the future. But please enjoy your freedom in the now.

Back