How far is your average eboard ride?

nutspecial said:
My neighbor in his 50's rides a boosted and figures 4 mile typical ride @ 20mph 2x a day on average. Just did the third set of belts 2day since feb/march.

Why's he burning through belts?

3 miles day for commute round trip. If I ride around more +-5 - 10 miles.

yeah you shouldnt be running through belts. My belts can easily last 500 to 1000 miles if not more. Your pulley setup is eating the teeth on your belt most likely.

torqueboards said:
3 miles day for commute round trip. If I ride around more +-5 - 10 miles.

yeah you shouldnt be running through belts. My belts can easily last 500 to 1000 miles if not more. Your pulley setup is eating the teeth on your belt most likely.

I'll pass that on. Been tellin him to get on here, cuz he isn't diy that much.

Sounds like most people are happy with 6 mile range then, which is what boosted offers. You really have to be going at it to cover 6 miles in 30 minutes.

Boosted's belts are rated for 200 miles with 200lb rider? Are you joking? $1/mile if it's a $30 replacement cost.

I think 6 miles is lean. Some days ill ride 5 to 8 miles. A good medium is 10 miles.

You can go a day or two riding 5 miles or less without charging.

6 miles youll have to charge everyday. Just my 2c.

For weight sake less miles is fun as long as you have spare batteries.

you can get some idea how far you could go knowing some [Wh] and [km/h]
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58661&start=50&hilit=battery+range

668723esboardevaloct14.jpg

I think below 25kph, Rolling resistance is more significant than aerodynamic resistance,
but there might be other reason for the scattering of the measurements in that speed range

I fall twice at TOP speed, once with a pine cone, once with brake tuning - I always wear glows ...so hands survive, but knees looked like pizzas for few days :twisted: See the same chart with peak measurement from the 12s destroyer of beto_pty:
959161esboardevalnov14.jpg

I know there are several "measuring method" uncertainties in that chart

I've been doing a nice 25km run. Its actually about 12.5 in & 12.5 back to start. Average speed is about 25kms/h So takes about 1hr. About 80% of battery consumed at end.

I've fallen off Kickr before but usually it was during early low speed testing when something was wacky. I'd hate to fall off above 15mph.

What is your average regen current like to brake from 100%-50% speed on flat ground?

What about when you're going down hill trying to hold say 80% full speed?

Weekdays 2km to work and back = 4km. It's only five minutes door to door if I catch the lights. It might actually take longer to drive because I'd have to park.
Weekends I've been limited to the 6km range of my Boosted except for a few times when I stopped at Starbucks to charge up.
Now that I've hacked more batteries onto my Boosted my average is going to go up.

hillzofvalp said:
Pictures of the hack, or it didn't happen. Are you running A123s in parallel for 200Wh?

6km range? I thought it got 8-10km?

The hack.

If it's perfectly flat and you go slowly you could maybe go 10km but you'd have to really crawl along, and push off with your feet any time you stop. 8 km is possible if you go slow. At top speed less than 5km is what you can expect. If there are hills it's 4km or even 3km.

Here's a ride I did the other day and ran the batteries completely flat:
google map

As you can see it's almost flat except for the downhill parts at the beginning. I was not going top speed 90% of the time as I was cruising along the beach cycle path and hoping I could get to Starbucks without running out of juice. I failed. Total distance is 5.3km and I ran out of juice at about 5km.

Up the steep hills around my house I can only go about 2 km. That's like 20 blocks! But I can bomb back down and actually recover a tiny bit of charge.

What you get out of your electric board totally depends on how you ride it, which seems obvious, but the difference might be bigger than a lot of people think.

Here's some numbers from a couple of very different runs on the same path on my current 6S dual drive rig. I'm using MapMyRide, a free app from underarmour.

This is when i went insane and decided to bury the trigger one day to see how fast it would go. I weigh between 155 and 160 pounds on a given day. I did 8.2 miles and ran the pack down completely from 25 volts to 20.
electric-whip-stats-001.png

this is a more typical run when i'm just out cruising around taking in the scenery. Its the same exact path as the previous one, only I did 10.1 miles starting at 25 volts and ended at just under 22 volts instead of of 20, so i definitely could have cruised around for some time longer.
electric-whip-stats-002.png

I could probably get close to 12 miles out of this thing if i didn't get the speed cravings every time i get on it. I'm anxious to see how far i can get on that new space cell with a 10S setup, but I'll be thrilled to see how fast i can go on it.

So, to sum up, typically i ride it for about 10 miles in a very casual mood and still have volts left over. I try to ride every day, but the weekends are the only time I can really give it a good sprint or a good long cruise.

about the belts: i've worn out two since september of last year, but i've lost a couple as well. Its worth spending the often annoying amount of time necessary to get your motors, pulleys, belts, and wheels all lined up perfectly because waiting for belts in the mail is stupid. I've worn the edges of belts and cut grooves in the wheels by not aligning them correctly, stripped them from not being quite tight enough, and lost them because they were just out of alignment enough to skip over the motor pully and roll out over the wheel because something somewhere just wasn't quite tight enough and things got knocked around.

One of the main reasons boosted doesnt ship a larger battery is not the fact you can't take 100Wh on a passenger plane (you can actually take 160Wh according to faa), it because UN regs do not allow shipping >100Wh unless it is is to a hazardous goods location.

This really brings up the question when they will change this stupid regulation to encompass LEV products. Until then, we may be forced to ship 100Wh increments (if you want more range, you run dual kits or carry a spare battery module)

hillzofvalp said:
Sounds like most people are happy with 6 mile range then, which is what boosted offers. You really have to be going at it to cover 6 miles in 30 minutes.

Boosted's belts are rated for 200 miles with 200lb rider? Are you joking? $1/mile if it's a $30 replacement cost.

Sounds about right. Difference is the belt is less then 15$ online. Is all dependent on how you ride though. I can get 200-300 out of my commuter belt. The belts I ran on weekends could last from 1 mile to 100 though. It all depends on the circumstances.

torqueboards said:
6 miles sucks.. You want at least 10 miles.

Boosted has lost so many customers due to their 6 mile issue.

I don't see how the eboard industry can offer anything above 6 miles with out completely disregarding the regulations or make people pick up their product at a hazmat certified recipient. Making packs swappable or the option of running dual packs is really the only other practical option. What are your thoughts?

Back