How far is your average eboard ride?

hillzofvalp said:
torqueboards said:
6 miles sucks.. You want at least 10 miles.

Boosted has lost so many customers due to their 6 mile issue.

I don't see how the eboard industry can offer anything above 6 miles with out completely disregarding the regulations or make people pick up their product at a hazmat certified recipient. Making packs swappable or the option of running dual packs is really the only other practical option. What are your thoughts?

I haven't found out a way just yet but there's got to be. There's tons of companies selling way over 100Wh per pack here in the states.

You can easily buy over 100Wh from HobbyKing with no issues.

But maybe I just haven't done my research fully yet.

hillzofvalp said:
Boosted's belts are rated for 200 miles with 200lb rider? Are you joking? $1/mile if it's a $30 replacement cost.

That would be 15c by my calculation. I weigh 185. I'm not sure if I've gone 200 miles yet but my belts seems fine. I've never tensioned them or anything. I guess I should order a belt replacement kit since some day I will need it.

torqueboards said:
hillzofvalp said:
torqueboards said:
6 miles sucks.. You want at least 10 miles.

Boosted has lost so many customers due to their 6 mile issue.

I don't see how the eboard industry can offer anything above 6 miles with out completely disregarding the regulations or make people pick up their product at a hazmat certified recipient. Making packs swappable or the option of running dual packs is really the only other practical option. What are your thoughts?

I haven't found out a way just yet but there's got to be. There's tons of companies selling way over 100Wh per pack here in the states.

You can easily buy over 100Wh from HobbyKing with no issues.

But maybe I just haven't done my research fully yet.

You can barely even get a battery shipped to your door, i think only one or two companies will deliver them. I'm curious what kind of hoops hobby king and others had to jump through. I planned on making a flight case for my electric longboard and then realized that there was a good chance they wouldn't even put it on the plane because of the battery pack.

agraham said:
hillzofvalp said:
Boosted's belts are rated for 200 miles with 200lb rider? Are you joking? $1/mile if it's a $30 replacement cost.

That would be 15c by my calculation. I weigh 185. I'm not sure if I've gone 200 miles yet but my belts seems fine. I've never tensioned them or anything. I guess I should order a belt replacement kit since some day I will need it.

In my experience, its good to just get extra of everything that wears out or could get lost. Last time i ordered belts i got like four of them instead of just one or two. Good thing, too, because now i'm on my last pair.

Most of my rides are 2-6 miles but I would like 15-20 total miles of range when I ride for fun but its only fun riding with other riders... and none of my friends will ever pay $1500 for a eboard

i have almost 500 miles on my first set of boosted board belts and I have 6 extra belts that cost me $7 each. Not sure what people are doing to only get 200 miles on belts....

I usually ride 5 miles, round trip. Charge the batteries at work, just in case. I have never had any issues receiving batteries. I order a lot from Hobby King and have ordered a couple of 10000mah, 6 cells from China with no issues. Still haven't tried to get one of my boards on a plane. I travel to San Francisco about once a month.

You guys should at least be getting 200 miles bare minimum.

Are you running your belts really loose which is affecting the grab on the teeth and causing the teeth to run over your pulley teeth without gripping. Especially when going downhill. You need all the grip you can get.

My belts are tight so kicking my board with the belts are pretty hard but I don't ride it anyways without electric. If I need too I remove the belts which take about 10 seconds each belt.

My belts usually last about 400-600 miles if not more.

Haven't changed out my belts in the last 5-6 months.

yea i think people are running their belts too loose on the boosted, going downhill while braking and causing their belts to rip...

kimboviper said:
yea i think people are running their belts too loose on the boosted, going downhill while braking and causing their belts to rip...

I noticed a popping feeling when braking really hard. Didn't realize at first it was the belt teeth popping over. I make sure back off when I feel the popping so I don't trash my belts.

Tighten the belts. I literally separated the teeth from the belt lol.. Was too lazy to adjust it and it was like only one hill more going up.

With the belts tight I barely ever have to change the belts. I end up changing my entire setup and/or build a new board before the belts break especially with 15mm belts.

hillzofvalp said:
I'm pretty sure the only way is if you install the packs yourself and put in series. Which companies are you referring to?

Enertion can do it! - 270Wh Custom made Electric Skateboard Battery | Get the S.P.A.C.E Cell Delivery to your door....PLUS free shipping!.

enertion-space-cell-electricskateboard-battery.jpg

I challenge you to outline the legalities of that product. My gut tells me there is something seriously prosecutable with your offering, unless perhaps you are shipping to a hazmat location via ground in UN tested packaging. Or perhaps australia can circumvent the regulations.

He's going to ship from China directly to consumer :mrgreen: ---> I assume...

At least, that's what I would do too. They tend to mislabel battery packages for what they really are and aren't.

Except, nobody would be able to take it on an airplane. Unless they lied about total Wh of the pack which if ignited from a short or malfunction and not mentioned would be 7 or 9 years in prison. Doubt you could play dumb if it ever occurred.

The best bet would be to have modular packs for 100Wh as you mentioned to be legal.

But there's got to be a better way and I haven't done my research fully but some ebike companies are selling 400Wh packs at times -- haven't bought one so I don't know if they are directly from China either.

Most of the ebike stuff is privately shipped to dealers with complete bikes, I would imagine. I'm doing more research on that.

We are going to do 100Wh for our first iteration just to play it safe. There will always be the option of carrying a second battery module or running dual motors.

Back