how much are you saving using your ebike?

LoL...Saving!?!#$?!?@ hehehe...mines a money pit :mrgreen:

KiM

2009 was my first year with a ebike, from april - dec. I put 5000 km. My car cost about 15 cent/ km . to run. So i figure I saved about $ 800.00 CDN last year, If I can do the same this year, I would of saved the cost of the Ebike. in 2 years.

I don't have a car so I take public transit when its "winter" Below -4 Celsius, or with snow on the ground. Round trip to and from work is 6 dollars bus fare. Starting next week (I hope) it will be warm enough to start riding to work...six bucks a day in my pocket for every day i don't take the bus. Electric is included in my rent, and i charge at work for free.

Last year I rode 7 months which works out to about 140 riding days at six bucks a day... comes to 980 dollars a year...If i can stop buying new stuff then the bike would have paid for itself it two years...but of course I keep buying new stuff because that is what we do yes? When i get something new for the bike i always equate it to how many riding days it will take to pay it off...Good thing i am not married.

Still ,the best practical hobby I ever had!

I earn 2200$ in my pocket monthly(additional 600$ goes to taxes), and to explain my savings easely I can add another 10% or 220$ to my paycheck each month taking my ebike instead. Bike is payed of with 7 bucks a day every day.

I save a little more than 2000$ per year
Better health and fitness since I pedal in acceleration and steep hills.

However as some1 said they got injury when biking... not so fun and dangerous. Ive been biking for only two days and seen five deers. I would really do all I could to take safe routes and add protection.

I also have a short commute of about 5 miles and less than about 0,5 mile is shared with cars.

My e-bike isn't built yet, but I do bike 50km a week.
Finished e-bike will be a bought $1500
Bus tickets when the weather is bad (worst case scenario is 1 out of 3 days) $300
Replacement batteries every two years $200 a year
so $2000 for the first year

Cheap motorcycle $1500
insurance $3500
gas $750
maintenance $250

I figure I've saved $4K
Got to love insurance.

Are you trying to say Canadians pay more for gas?
We pay a bought $1.25 a litter, that's $4.70 a gallon.
From what I can find you pay a bought $4 a gallon.

After 3 years, I am over $20k in the hole. We write off the ebikes & development as a company vehicle expense amortized over something like 5 or 7 years, and I do not take the EV tax deduction as of yet. So far the cost has been about the same as owning and upkeep of a truck. It helps that I maintain meticulous records on mileage. The basic savings are in the cost of Fuel, Insurance, and presumably reduced medical costs from increased health. I like the fact that I can maintain & repair nearly every single component – and the work can be accomplished inside a heated living space instead of a bone-chilling garage.

The actual cost of savings is perhaps best calculated as:
  • Fuel: 3,300 eligible business miles/year -> equates to 13.2 miles/day. This value could be higher if I commuted more or traveled farther, however often I work from home. Guessing the average Gasoline is about $3.85/gallon; I haven’t kept an accurate average cos I don’t use fuel or that sort. My last vehicle average 14 mpg. Therefore,
    • 3300/14 = 235.7 gallons; at $3.85 -> Fuel cost $907.50 USD.
    My average electric energy cost to recharge is about $0.25/day at the worst possible rate. Using the calculation that I work 5 days/week for 50 weeks/year = 250 work days ->
    • 250 * $0.25 = $62.50 USD.
      $907.50 - $62.50 = $845 USD savings.
  • Insurance for my vehicle ran about $760/year, however it is now stored for safekeeping, and thus I pay insurance on the stored-vehicle which runs about $30/year. AAA Road Insurance is about $55/year:
    • $760 - $30 + $55 = $785 USD savings.
  • State Fees: I don’t need to smog my vehicle whilst in storage, nor do I need to renew the annual tags:
    • License = $96, Inspection $15/every two years -> $96 + $7.50 = $103.50 USD savings.
Total: 845 + 785 + 103.5 = $1,733.50/year excluding maintenance and Driver’s License renewal.

Now if we divide that into pints @ $6 each (not counting Happy Hour discounts), that’s about 289 wee pints, or 36 gallons, or just a bit over one full barrel and about half my annual consumption. Yeehaw! :twisted:

Totally worth it! KF

Back