How to Connect Voltmeter?

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Thinking of getting a voltmeter to monitor my battery for my new build. Just wondering how to connect. Do I splice into both positive and negative cables from battery that go to controller?

Ok - what controls the amperage to the unit and prevents the fuse from constantly blowing

Got it - device draws the amps from the battery not the other way around...

If it's the type that uses battery power to function, connect it on the controller side so it will be off when you disconnect the battery.

wesnewell said:
If it's the type that uses battery power to function, connect it on the controller side so it will be off when you disconnect the battery.
Good idea - likely changing my connectors so I can splice in the wires at that time - thanks!

Good idea Wes. I did something similar with my cheap china voltmeters. Since I wanted them removable, movable from bike to mower etc, I spliced the voltmeter connections to a short piece of 12 g wire with connectors on both ends. Then when I want to use it, I just plug it in between the controller and the battery.

Many ways to do it, but you definitely want to be able to switch it off or unplug it when not in use.

I completely fail to see the need for a fuse between the voltmeter and the battery, unless it's just to protect against an accidental cut and shorted wire.

Or just don't cut and short the wire, or use wire thin enough to, in effect be a fusible link.

I just didn't see the voltmeter itself needing fuse protection. Fuse the battery mains is not a bad idea, nor is connecting the voltmeter downstream of said fuse. That way the fuse protects all your wiring.

Ok, splitting hairs here, wiring always benefits from fuse protection, that's why it's code for your house wiring for example. But the voltmeter itself should not require a fuse.

Thanks - will look to splice in to the controller side when I change the connectors - now the hard part - how to neatly mount what looks like a "snap into an instrument panel" voltmeter (see pic) onto my handlebars - any ideas?

Attachments

• 1708463105274040_4.jpg
    1708463105274040_4.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 801
I just moved my kit to a new bike and found a good spot. A tie wrap will fit through the snaps on the side of the meter. Tie wrapped it to the front down tube with it resting on the top bar. Put some tape over the leads. Works great. Is out of the way, and easy to see.

Back