How to remotely control pump engine?

PaulM

100 W
I'm looking for an inexpensive reliable way to remotely control a pump engine. It already has it's own manual controller so I just need to interface with it. I'm thinking a radio link with several inputs and outputs, like this: http://www.bwieagle.com/product/1000-wireless-remote-controls/44-40800-dc/

Is there a way to do it with RC components? They seem inexpensive, but I don't need the fancy transmitter, just a couple switches as inputs.

Maximum distance is about 3/4 mile with line of sight, often less but occasionally line of sight is blocked by metal-clad buildings so is a repeater needed?

There is a half dozen ways to do it with rc stuff.

However, RC stuff really is not meant to run 24/7. Also for reliable communications under those conditions it is unlikely 2.4ghz which is cheap and standard will work. So then you have to go to a mhz system at 433 or 72 and that stuff is pricier. Plus its not straightforward to set that up.

You would need a receiver wired to pwm triggered switches, likely then to a relay since you don't specify amperage or voltage requirement for switching. Add a power supply or ubec and your in business. But if the next question is how, then you should really be asking this on rc groups forum.

Not sure how much youll save or how long it will last though.

It runs about 10 hours a day, 6 days a year, so definitely not 24/7.

What is the purpose of the pwm triggered switches, can the receivers not provide simple outputs? Relays and actuators I have no problem with.

I'm not at the "how" stage yet, more "can it work"!!

have wifi available? the RC stuff would work, but isn't going to be reliable. it also needs to stay in constant communication or it goes into safe mode.

Belkin makes a web switch that can be controlled by a simple phone app. All you need is a wifi signal at the switch, then you can run it from anywhere in the world.

Drunkskunk said:
have wifi available? the RC stuff would work, but isn't going to be reliable. it also needs to stay in constant communication or it goes into safe mode.

Belkin makes a web switch that can be controlled by a simple phone app. All you need is a wifi signal at the switch, then you can run it from anywhere in the world.

I figured if RC stuff can fly things worth several thousand, it must be pretty reliable!! The "safe mode" is exactly what I need, provided I can dictate what safe mode entails for the system. It's for pumping manure, so it's actually a legal requirement that the system shut down if communication is lost.

The web switch would only work if it was a momentary contact, but it would get pretty annoying holding the button on the phone all day . . .

No, a web switch would work any way you wanted it to. it can even be automated. Here's an example. http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C043-Belkin/p/P-F7C043/
You could leave it a simple off/on switch, or tie it to IFTTT and set it on a scedual. Or add a Wemo camera and even be able to check it remotely to see if it needs running.

If your farm is run as a business, it would be highly illegal to use the RC frequencies for any business purpose.

Drunkskunk said:
If your farm is run as a business, it would be highly illegal to use the RC frequencies for any business purpose.
I've never heard of this, please elaborate. The farm is a business.

Well now that I'm on a PC, I can see that you're Canadian. In the U.S., The frequencies used for RC are designated for non-commercial use only. Getting caught using them could get your business seized, your profits forfeited, and your butt in jail. It's a lot of risk to take. Canada may have different laws.

Back