How to secure a sprocket on motor shaft

jamesv

1 mW
Hi guys I have another question, I am going to be using a C80100 motor with a 12mm shaft, my question is how do I go about securing the sprocket on the shaft, I will be using around 4KW. I am hoping to use a 9 tooth sprocket from technobots (http://www.technobotsonline.com/sprockets-and-chain/steel-sprockets/tbot-0.5-inch-steel-sprockets.html). Bruno at alien power systems can offer a key in the motor shaft and sprocket but this will be expensive and he does not think the sprocket will be strong enough with the key cut in it. Will two 2mm deep 4mm holes drilled in the shaft for two m4 grub screws be sufficient, and will this weaken the shaft too much?
Thanks
James

jamesv said:
Hi guys I have another question, I am going to be using a C80100 motor with a 12mm shaft, my question is how do I go about securing the sprocket on the shaft, I will be using around 4KW. I am hoping to use a 9 tooth sprocket from technobots (http://www.technobotsonline.com/sprockets-and-chain/steel-sprockets/tbot-0.5-inch-steel-sprockets.html). Bruno at alien power systems can offer a key in the motor shaft and sprocket but this will be expensive and he does not think the sprocket will be strong enough with the key cut in it. Will two 2mm deep 4mm holes drilled in the shaft for two m4 grub screws be sufficient, and will this weaken the shaft too much?
Thanks
James

I normally only use either 1x4mm grub or 1x5mm grub ( dependent on amount of sprocket hub is to thread ) to secure the sprockets to the shaft as long as there is at least 4-5mm of hub on the sprocket left to thread it and a 2-3mm hole into the shaft for the grub to fit into should be fine, always use a good thread lock once you you have the sprocket in the correct place on the shaft.

Thanks gwhy just wanted to make sure that would not weaken the shaft too much. I will go for just the one 5mm grub screw.
Thanks
James

Back