How to Solar Charge an Electric Bicycle

LockH said:
ES "Search found 3 matches: +rectenna"

"Breakthrough optical rectenna turns light directly into usable electricity"
http://inhabitat.com/breakthrough-optical-rectenna-turns-light-directly-into-usable-electricity/

[youtube]kMdYVLtBtoY[/youtube]

firstoptical-537x326.jpg

“We could ultimately make solar cells that are twice as efficient at a cost that is ten times lower, and that is to me an opportunity to change the world in a very big way,” said Baratunde Cola, an associate professor in the George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Tech.

Sounds interesting from a research point of view. Martin Green was laser etching cells back in the 90s to increase the surface area of silicon cells. This sound like an improvement on that using nano tech.
Now, where can I buy one for my ebike? Oh that's right it's research, interesting but not relevant to this thread.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/2/9...solarcity-claims-to-have-built-industrys-most
Elon Musk-backed SolarCity claims to have built industry's most efficient solar panel
By Loren Grush on October 2, 2015
SolarCity — the leading installer of residential solar panels in the US — announced today in Times Square that the company has built the industry's most efficient solar panel, Reuters reports. The panel converts sunlight into electricity with a 22.04 percent efficiency, according to third-party testing from the Renewable Energy Test Center. That's slightly higher than the 21.5 percent efficiency boasted by rival SunPower's X-Series solar panels.

It's not the highest-level efficiency ever produced by a solar cell. The world record for the most efficient conversion of sunlight into energy is 44.7 percent. And companies like Boeing subsidiary Spectrolab make ultra-expensive panels for spacecraft with around 40 percent efficiency. SolarCity says the panels it produces are cheap and are the same size as traditional residential solar panels, but provide 30 to 40 percent more power, according to Mashable. Essentially, the company claims its panels provide the most efficiency for the lowest cost.

SolarCity was co-founded by Tesla and SpaceX founder Elon Musk and is currently run by his cousins Peter and Lyndon Rive. The primary aim of the company has been to provide solar installation technologies, but in June 2014, SolarCity announced plans to build a 1-gigawatt panel manufacturing facility in Buffalo, New York. Currently, the company is making its solar panels at a 100-megawatt pilot facility in Fremont, California until the Buffalo facility opens in 2017. When its complete, the company says the factory will produce up to 10,000 solar panels a day.

Lyndon Rive says that by making its own solar panels, the company will bring down system costs by 15 to 20 cents a watt. However, SolarCity won't make enough panels to meet the country's installation needs, with most of the panels the company installs coming from China.

You got shares in the company? It's a "claim" not a fact. And it's still not relevant to this thread!
Please keep on subject and stop trying to hijack the thread with free advertising for useless solar crap.

volvo-solar-plant-hagerstown.jpg

Seen here "Volvo Goes Solar at Hagerstown (Maryland, USA) Powertrain Plant":
http://www.ttnews.com/articles/basetemplate.aspx?storyid=39598

Includes:
The company erected a canopy of solar panels above its parking lot to generate about 1.3 megawatts, enough power for 200 homes, and protect vehicles from the weather.

:( Were I King, these canopies would instead stretch over roads "to protect vehicles from the weather". Quick question? How many ebikes could "fill up" by recharging from 1.3 megawatts fed into the "grid".

EDIT: Note watt appears to be prime agricultural land next door, as seen before paving over to make a "parking lot"
[youtube]xWwUJH70ubM[/youtube]

Solar charge a li-on battery it's achievable nowadays. Genasun has some cool little gadgets for custom voltages that allows u to have mppt solar safely hooked to li-on or lifepo4.

The main problem is its price, about 300$, that alone, could be more expensive than the solar panel and battery combined ( yes...cheap panels and cheap battery ;). I've been trying to work around this issue, and i came with a couple of cheaper ideas.

- No charging, means that you don't charge your battery on the move, and your battery becomes just a backup of the solar power, That means, that the battery woud kick in, just in those cases of shades, heavy clouds and so. This is the system i've been using so far. A bit primitive, but fairly comfortable, solar would power you most of the time, and i would usually use the battery between the 5 or 15% of the riding time, charging the battery (36v9ah) every 300 kms or so( 2 weeks using it every day...). The system was manually triggered, that means, that i´ve got a switch between battery and solar, when i see i dont have solar juice, i click it, use the battery, and unclick it once i'm done with the shade, tunnel, etc...

It's a bit problematic if have an area with zones of sun and shade, like tree areas, and so, usually u end up going battery through it, but those are not too common, and many times, i don't even use the battery and i just pedal.

But after some time with the manual system, i want to go full automatic (still no "on the move" charging...).

There are some types of solar ups or dc back up systems, but they mostly work on 24v and 48v and there's almost nothing on 36v. Also, i've looking for dual input dc redundant systems, but they're either industrial type, pretty expensive (>500$), or they're mostly focused in AC/DC, when i need DC/DC.

So, where i need help on, it's on finding some type of hybrid ups, or hybrid redundant system working on 36v, DC/DC power balancer, OR diodes, any info on this devices would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the idea of charging the battery, you can't do it, if your drawing power from it, so, in order to charge your battery with solar, you would have to power, both the motor and the battery with solar (power balancing of some sort...), and that, with a pitiful 250w/24v/6A, it's not doable, you barely can ride with it on hills, the only thing you could do, it's charge the battery with a good 4-6 amps meanwhile you pedal or you take a break (in the sun...yes...signed by Cpt.Obvious :).

And for those who think that a microinverter+charger could cut it, sorry to disagree, but that would be a waste of energy, and on solar mobility, you respect every bit of amps you can get, and having multiple devices on the system, just leads to loss of amps, and also, it's bulky, heavy and expensive, it's a no-no.

Sorry for the wall of text :oops:

"Electric bicycle charging station to make US debut"
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2015/10/15/2003630061

The first Taiwan-made solar energy charging station for electric bicycles is to become operational in Liberty State Park in Jersey City, New Jersey, in spring next year, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday.

“From the rooftop solar panels, lithium-ion battery pack to the rubber floor, we gathered 10 Taiwanese companies to build this off-grid eco-friendly power station,” Vice Minister of Economic Affairs Yang Wei-fu (楊偉甫) told a media event at the annual PV Taiwan exhibition in Taipei.

The project came after the ministry last year inked a memorandum of understanding with US bicycle rental company Bike and Roll LLC to build a customized green-energy charging station for electric bicycles, Green Trade Project Office (GTPO) Deputy Director Wen Lih-chyi (溫麗琪) said.

“This is a chance for the nation to promote and integrate Taiwan’s green products and services in overseas markets,” Wen said.

She said the Eco-Power Station is an off-grid system that is entirely powered by solar energy and can operate around the clock without interruption.

The unit, which cost US$100,000 to build, is housed inside a renovated shipping container and its roof is covered with thin-film solar panels, Wen said.

The station can supply power to 10 electric bikes at a time, she added.

Users can easily monitor the station’s supply of electricity through an integrated smart energy management system and cloud-monitoring technology, she said.

While Bike and Roll and the office have not yet agreed on a payment method, the agency plans to charge the firm based on how much electricity it is able to conserve thanks to the Eco-Power Station, Wen said.

Last year, the US was the country with the largest installed solar power capacity, and it boasts great business opportunities for Taiwan’s solar power industry, Wen said, citing Industrial Economics and Knowledge Center statistics.

“The GTPO will continue to work with Bike and Roll to expand our reach in the US,” she said. “The next location we have in mind is Central Park in New York City.”

On top of exploring business opportunities in the US, Wen said she recently visited France to discuss different green energy solutions Taiwanese firms could offer, adding that such facilities do not necessarily have to be charging stations for electric bicycles, as solar energy stations have a variety of possible applications for daily use.

The office can pick the most suitable Taiwanese manufacturers and integrate their products and services to offer the most efficient green energy solutions to meet a client’s requirements, she said.

okay....the more i read endless sphere the more confused i get..so after some reading....

now can i charge my lifepo4 battery with a solar panel and solar charge controller while i am riding the bike and discharing my lifepo4 battery.? that isw the question.

two scenerios..one i run my motor/controler wires into the output of charge controller....(i must not exceed current draw maximum of charge controller or charge controller shuts off...)i hook solar panel to solar charge controller.charge controller goes to input charging port of lifepo4 battery.

second scenerio....i run my motor controler wires directly to my battery output.....i input solar panel to charge controller then to input/charging port of lifepo4.

KarlJ said:
still yet to see anything easier and cheaper than this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcU8Xz4Zh7w

Yeah Karl, that's the way to go for sure. more panels = more amperage too. This method would require manual intervention to adjust voltage as your pack fills I would think though. Of course, you would have to cut it off when full too. For these features, you would need a true MPPT controller.

striider said:
KarlJ said:
still yet to see anything easier and cheaper than this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcU8Xz4Zh7w

Yeah Karl, that's the way to go for sure. more panels = more amperage too. This method would require manual intervention to adjust voltage as your pack fills I would think though. Of course, you would have to cut it off when full too. For these features, you would need a true MPPT controller.
eh. set the voltage to the battery full voltage (or just below it)
as the battery approaches full, it pulls less and less amperage... until they're both about equal voltage.. by that point the amperage is almost zero.

http://sacredsolar.com/index.aspx?menuid=12&type=introduct&lanmuid=26&language=en

this is a panel manufacturer of bendable H.E. panels. The 135W model will fit my personal pope mobile with lots of empty area... [martha s] "it's a good thing" [/martha s]

...now to find a usa source that isn't ebay (the quest begins)

ddk said:
...this is a panel manufacturer of bendable H.E. panels. The 135W model will fit my personal pope mobile with lots of empty area... [martha s] "it's a good thing" [/martha s]
...now to find a usa source that isn't ebay (the quest begins)

Groovy. "...Sacred high efficiency bendable solar module adopts the highest efficiency cell in the world from USA, with efficiency up to 20% or highter,which enable 25-30% higher power generation than the conventional PV modules at the same size. "
2012215135328.jpg

http://www.shendasolar.com/
http://www.alibabasolar.com/

RE: No charging while riding:

My solar charged Terratrike PowerCruiser charged while riding: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62700

But, it was based on an older Bionx system that used 18650 LiMn batteries and had NO BMS at all. I just connected the boost charger from the panels directly to the battery and set the voltage to 4.17V/cell at the battery. When the bike was fully charged, I just rolled it into the garage and the charging stopped. On the road, I rode hard enough that the battery was very slowly depleted -- drawing about 200-250W and charging at 100-140W (from 2 100W Renogy panels).

So that is one approach ... to forego the BMS at least while riding and charging.

I THINK (??) you can get the same effect on a battery WITH BMS by tying the solar charger output into the system on the OUTPUT side of a battery with BMS.

If your BMS has diodes (or equivalent) that prevent back flow into the battery then the solar will provide whatever it can when the motor is in use and will just sit at zero current when the motor is not in use. A BMS that won't allow back feed is also NOT going to support regeneration, so I don't think that kind of BMS can be too common.

If your BMS allows backfeed (e.g. regeneration or regenerative braking) then the only problems should be the high voltage cutoff and the low voltage cutoff. Just add a switch so that you can turn solar charging off when the battery is full or near full. When you are riding, once you draw enough energy from the battery to get down below the high voltage protection circuit, you flip the solar charger switch "on" and let the solar charger feed current into the motor (when the motor is running) or into the battery (when the motor isn't running). I think that the rise and fall of battery voltage due the motor load playing against the solar charging will look just like voltage sag and recovery to the BMS and will be ignored until the (battery/solar) combination actually DOES reach LVC.

I don't have a system to try this on so I would appreciate discussion from those who have actual experience trying this with a battery with BMS.

just catching this thread on-the-fly, didn't had time to read all of it.

From 2006, riding different solar powered trikes and velomobiles.
Solution: a panel, a MPPT and a plug to battery.

Panel: currently Solbian, made at less than 400 km from here, that's important for gray energy, as I want to reduce footprint now, not after 5 years of energy compensation for panel transport.
Find a good panel for boat near your place, anything from 50 W and 1 kg to 150 W / 2 kg is fine, depending on your project.

MPPT: solarconverters has almost anything, at a better price than Genasun, and fully automatic as it only transforms 0-50 V solar in to constant voltage out, to be asked on purpose.
I choose 41.2 V for 10s liMn, 57.4 V for 14s, or whatever you might need.

Efficiency: as panel is flat, day production is lower than on a 20 degrees south oriented roof. Count maximum 5 equivalent full sun hours. A 120 W peak power panel will never give more than 600 Wh/day, around 21 june. Good enough for me, it's around 60 km for free on a fast ebike, I'm happy with it. And it's a sunshade too, allowing me to ride in full sun.

Last project I worked on is a velomobile for a guy making a european roundtrip, see pictures here: http://www.pistesrecyclables.ch

I went to their website and left voicemail....hopefully they will call...no prices on their website...local dealers only..cool..
Bioenno power has a new mppt...
120 watts of pannel...nice how big

"The EVs of the 2015 Solar Decathlon"
http://www.pluginamerica.org/drivers-seat/evs-2015-solar-decathlon

Includes:
The biennual Solar Decathlon returned to Southern California last week, with a twist.

There is a significant difference in the rules this year; a first in the contest’s 13-year history. Teams and their houses can now compete in an electric commuting category by making enough electricity to operate a battery-electric vehicle.

The new contest category is called “Commuting”, and it joins existing categories such as “Market Appeal” and “Affordability”. It is a measured category (rather than juried). Full points (100) are awarded for driving 25 miles or more in two hours or less eight times during the contest week. Reduced points are earned for driving less than the required number of miles. “Commuting” points are awarded throughout the competition.

The car commuting energy is part of the overall house electrical consumption. The house and car together must not exceed 175 kWh of usage throughout the entire competition. Even though the cars could be charged at local public charge stations, for this competition the teams must forego that option, only charging from the house.

A student from the Stevens Institute of Technology SU+RE HOUSE explained that this commuting electricity can represent one-third of the electricity used during the contest. So this has resulted in larger solar arrays this year to make up the difference.

But this extra electricity can have a positive impact on the environment. Richard King, founder and director of the Solar Decathlon, says that two fossil-fuel cars produce as much carbon as an entire house on a yearly basis. So replacing them with something that can drive on solar energy is a no-brainer.

With the addition of electric commuting this year, the Solar Decathlon houses accomplish more than ever before. The Solar Decathlon has long been about net-zero homes. This year it moves beyond to simulate a complete net-zero lifestyle.

The Solar Decathlon is a multi-discipline event. Amid the excitement of building these houses, and the innovative design and ideas contained within them, the car parked next to the house may not get that much attention. But it’s clear that the car makes as much of an impact on the environment as the house itself. So it’s worth shining a spotlight on these vehicles.

A Worthwhile Event

The 2015 Solar Decathlon opens to the public again today after a brief midweek hiatus. The second (and last) weekend will run from Thursday the 15th through Sunday, October 18. It takes place at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California. Please consider attending or rooting these students on in any way you can.

A buck regulator should be enough, if the maximum voltage can be controlled precisely enough to preserve the battery, and if the maximum current for the panel does not exceed what the battery can withstand. The battery will drag the panel voltage down to whatever charging voltage it requires during the main portion of the charge. Some battery management boards could potentially provide this voltage limiting function, in which case an unregulated PV panel of appropriate size would suffice.

As far as commercially viable gen a Sun has one ans looks like minimum voltage is 25 percent nominal voltage. .48 volt battery need 12 volts. Joule thief...robbing amps to get voltage.......but yeah spend 300 bucks on the.charge. controller. ..any voltage sounds possible. ....but seems like not commercially viable.,..'

"Stanford researcher suggests storing solar energy underground for a cloudy day"
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/november/plan-energy-storage-112315.html

Includes:
As a demonstration of some of these technologies, Jacobson points to the Drake Landing Solar Community in Canada, near Calgary. The 52 homes there are heated in winter with solar energy captured and stored underground during the summer. Water warmed to 175 degrees Fahrenheit by the sun is kept in insulated tubing buried under 120 feet of rocks, earth and insulation. The stored warmth is enough to heat the homes in the community through winter, Jacobson said.

So... Money saved in heating costs to power my fleet of EVs. :wink:

"Australian firm brings floating solar plant technology to the U.S."
http://inhabitat.com/australian-firm-brings-floating-solar-plant-technology-to-the-u-s/

Solar technology from Down Under will soon be providing power in California, as the company behind the world’s first-ever floating solar plant just exported its technology to the U.S. CleanTechnica reports that Sydney-based Infratech Industries has sold its floating solar technology to the City of Holtville, an agricultural center in southeast California. The planned 1 megawatt system appealed to the people of Holtville due to its ability to save vital farmland space, while providing clean energy. Holtville’s system will include a total of 3576 solar panels floating on 276 rafts with 12 treatment pumps.

The technology behind Infratech’s solar system was developed by a team of 15 engineers and academics from the Nano Science and Technology Department at Australia’s Flinders University. The company installed its first-ever showcase project earlier this year in Jamestown, South Australia.

All components needed for the project will be made in Australia, a place Infratech CEO, Rajesh Nellore experience similar environmental conditions as those in the Holtville area. “Australia, like Holtville, is an arid area subject to harsh climates and drought,” he notes. “Floating solar and other sustainable initiatives can ensure farmers have access to renewable power and clean water without using valuable land. Holtville and Jamestown are proof points of what is possible when people look to sustainable infrastructure initiatives to power their communities.”

In Holtville, the system will be installed in the city’s new water treatment facility, where predictions show it will produce 20 percent more power than a similar land-based system. Along with power production, the system will also reduce water evaporation and improve water quality by reducing the need for chemical treatment use – through simply shading the surface of the water.

Holtville Mayor James Predmore says adopting the system is a step in the right direction. “Installing Infratech’s floating solar system is the right move for Holtville, and further proves our progressive approach to infrastructure and the environment,” Predmore said. “This move puts us ahead of the rest of the US.”

Cooler is better for PV, just pole mounting them in free air will produce measurable amounts of more power then on a roof, even with an airspace they run hotter on a roof. So yeah, being on or even near water should be better.

Back