HPC Revolution XXX

hi speedmd, you must be somewhere over in Europe! If you look close, you'll notice the caliper can toggle between mm/inch and fraction. I'm in Canada and while we're under the Queen's rule and on the metric system, our biggest trading partner the US is imperial hence our miss-mash of metric/standard dimensions. Since HPC is a US based company they would have sourced this material from local sources and convention has it to refer as 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc. etc. when referring to material stock 3.175mm just wouldn't sound right over in these parts :)

Hi Leelee

Not busting on you for the fractions, but have seen much in the way of substitutions on standard extrusions these days. Many interchange/ equate 3 mm for 0.125" wall stock. Many go as low as .115" or less on wall gauge. Do like the big radius on the inner corners. Two sections put together with slightly shortened leg walls would be killer strong.

Look forward to see vids. of this powered up.

hey no worries speedmd all in good fun! If anyone is interested, HPC had a few photos on their FB page that illustrate the parts before welding, gives an idea of how things go together.

https://www.facebook.com/HPCBikes/photos/pb.518604368157910.-2207520000.1440791744./937880902896919/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/HPCBikes/photos/pb.518604368157910.-2207520000.1440791744./993217110696631/?type=3&theater

Finished milling the LH drop out. The four extra holes are there for disk brake mounting. I had another surprise with frame 2.0, I had originally measured/designed the drop outs based on frame 1.0 and it looks like this new swingarm is 5mm wider. You can see in the one pic the open space at the LH side. I'm lucky because these Pro2 Evo's have a standard off the shelf adapter to convert 150 - 157mm which coincidentally works out to almost the exact spacing I need (one more thing to order and wait for). I'm glad I didn't start the brake mount yet. The axle is a standard 12mm pit bike front axle, looks a bit "agricultural" but it will be fine till I turn a proper replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,710
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,669
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,669
is looks great and i like the components you have chosen

Hi Kiwi,

If I'm not mistaken, 5.7kg with swing arm? It wasn't cheap at $2200 USD, but any downhill frame is in the $2-$3k range. I do have a really good idea of the motor mounts, very symmetrical with no large protrusions to any one side, nicely balanced. Alexey said he'd ship my motor this week so hopefully that gets here soon and I can start fabrication of the mounts. I'm also waiting for real pics of my actual motor, I will post those when I get them.

Nice
You not mucking around mate its going together nicely :D

I may be keen to put one together just have to save some funds.
Keep up the good work :D
Cheers Kiwi

Rear brake mount complete. I have a whole new respect for machinists. The skill and patience need to fabricate anything is simply astonishing. What looks soo simple on paper (CAD) takes quite some time to bring to life. Anyway, cheers to those in the business! Alexey was awesome in that he sent my motor express so it should be here in a week or so! Next are the motor mounts, this is where it gets interesting. Yes I know I need shorter mounting bolts (4), I'll have to turn those down to the correct length.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,535
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,535
HPC should include these parts to the frame. I mean it is not cheap, and than it comes without brake mount and also without the torque arms, right?

nice parts and nice fabrication.
I also have much respect for cnc machinists. Luckily i have a good friend working on one jobwise :)

Hi Madin,

The frame does come with dropouts. HPC was nice enough to actually supply me with two sets. The problem was that they are for hub motors and aren't compatible with std mtb parts.

Leeleeducati said:
Hi Madin,

The frame does come with dropouts. HPC was nice enough to actually supply me with two sets. The problem was that they are for hub motors and aren't compatible with std mtb parts.

hey mate
just curious how much that part cost you? or was it done by a friend?
cheers!

Leeleeducati said:
Hi Madin,

if anyone buying this frame without access to run CNC parts, will you consider to make and sell the parts? Or provide HPC support to make it happen?

would it really not be possible to install a normal bicylce freewheel into the original dropouts? maybe with little modification?

If i look at this big motor i think it even would be better to use a moped freewheel!
typical bicycle hubs have very small spoke hole diameter which means lots of stress in the spokes and i if i'm not wrong at the rim eyelets as well. a larger flange diameter would be much better for torque transmission. however that be i would like to see how much the hope freewheel can take :)

I made those parts myself and no I don't work for HPC so I can't offer their factory support. They make great bikes, complete and ready to ride, that would be the easiest way to get mobile with one of these frames.

I have a mill and lathe I fiddle around with from time to time and it takes me like 10 times more time to make anything than any machinist so I couldn't even begin to estimate what these parts should cost from a true machine shop.

To answer the question about bicycle wheels and the drop outs, no it would be impossible to mount a standard bicycle wheel to the existing drop outs. The frame dropouts are about 185mm wide where a bicycle hub would be mostly 135/142/150 or 157, custom dropouts are a must for this frame. I'm building this as a freeride/downhill bike with the emphasis on climbing. I don't need full max. speed so I'll gear to get up stuff. I'm most certainly sure the 160 is overkill, but the other option looked a bit too small (120 short). I figure with 10-15kw I'm going to break stuff. I figure I'll break parts first, then try solving them with more robust parts. That's how this hobby works :)

As for any other components, it's possible but... I'm in the middle of a move, the house we're building is delayed so I'm in a state of chaos at the moment. My machines had to come apart to get up a flight of stairs from the old house. I built my mill back up manual but the CNC components sit in a box. The lathe is another story, brings a tear to my eye looking at it in pieces on the floor. For the motor mounts I'll will have to assemble the lathe to complete them. Unfortunately I'm looking at probably 2016 before I could make anything in quantity so there's probably many other options for everyone to source parts.

Never in a million years would I have expected this today! It's here and it is truly a thing of beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,365
This too ooozes quality! Alexey used top shelf components, and solid build! The mounting sits on a 90mm NSK 6814Z so you know there won't be any bearing concerns with this one! I'm very pleased with Revolt. Not to mention it took no time to get here. Now to fit it in the frame :)

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,356
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 2,356
I take back the "overkill" comment, having now held the motor and sized it up to the frame it is a perfect balance of size and dimension to the bike.

They're made to order to some extent. I asked for a custom shaft design/dimension and was only charged a very reasonable $15, you can custom configure all kinds of details. But still took less than two weeks from final design to my door. Prices are very reasonable too, compared to say Astro's these are a steal and major robust... I'll post more pics shortly.

Here you go, few more pics. Feels so solid! and if it performs even a fraction of how good it looks this thing will rocket.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 2,325
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,325
Back