Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Hi Jay, has been a long time since I was on ES last so I'm glad to hear you are beating the illness and still riding hard!
Just spent the last 30 mins cruising thru your videos and there is some awesome footage, both on-road and off - but after seeing them I can't help but worry...

A fortnight ago I was on a ride with some mates from Mudgee to Bathurst thru the windy roads of Sofala when I came tailed out and lowsided on a gravelly corner - lay the bike down and slid under an armco at about 50-60kph, the bike dug in and it ejected me down the road. The bitumen tore into the armor on my leather suit, ground down the tips of both boots, gouged the carbon fiber plates in the palms of my gloves and left a massive crack and huge scratches in my helmet.

Although I have ridden like an idiot many times, this time I wasn't - we were just flowing thru the road at the speed limit and shit went wrong, but I got up, walked away and lived to type this post because I was wearing the right protective gear. Needless to say the 500 was destroyed in ten different ways and was written off - you will be pleased to know I am not perturbed accident and will be buying a replacement shortly.

All I can say is - take it easy mate! I don't want you to end up like this

Warning graphic content
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7xOPTBaTbY
I'm sure your bike is much faster than a scooter!

Hey Cam,
Glad to hear you walked away from that one. Sounds nasty! I hope the silver lining is a better bike ? :)
I actually got off pretty light this time too, last time I went over the bars at this speed I broke both wrists. Almost 2 years ago to the day actually!
I guess the angle that I went off and skidding along the road on my hands instead of pounding down in a heap is what saved me.
You're right though, protective gear makes all the difference. I've been looking into kevlar jeans lately and I think it's time to make a purchase. As you say it's one thing to bust up when you're riding dangerously yourself but it's usually the unexpected that takes you out.

Back to riding like this :)

riding-gear.jpg

Oh and sorry hobbit, no gopro footage sadly.

Cam, its always good to hear of a fellow motorcyclist walking away from an accident :)
Accidents aren't always caused by silly riding or other motorists - years ago i witnessed a Ducati rider go down hard around a sweeping bend on a country road outside of Brisbane.
We picked up his bike and went to move it only to find a rock had flicked up and managed to get stuck between his LH front brake calliper and disc rotor, locking up the front wheel which caused the front end wash-out. A very freaky accident indeed... He was bruised and very sore but ok.

+1 to wearing all the right gear all the time, just incase :)

Any updates on the Stealth DB Jay?

Paul :D

P.s. Cam, you mentioned your bike was a 500, not a good old 500 2 stroke RG, RGV or something similar?

The frame looks great. 1000wh inside the frame with a normal triangle look is amazing. Definitely stealth (I'd go with matte black color).

Timma2500 said:
P.s. Cam, you mentioned your bike was a 500, not a good old 500 2 stroke RG, RGV or something similar?
I wish the RGV was on the LAMS list! Nope its just a lowly GS500F - makes about 45hp but still cracks the ton in about 6 seconds (faster than most cars :wink: )

Hyena said:
I've been looking into kevlar jeans lately and I think it's time to make a purchase.
I have a pair of jeans made by Hornee - they are look exactly the same as your white cammo pants. They're quite soft and don't feel as strong as they actually are!
From what I've read, normal jeans will protect youi for about 0.5 seconds of sliding before they start to burn into your skin - whereas kevlar pants last around 6-7 seconds of sliding... you would have to be really hook'n to slid for that long though!

Definately a silver lining with the new bike... Insurance has paid up and my open license ticks over on the 20th so I have my eye on one of these!
scproject-exhaust-for-kawasaki-z_-aa-c_2.jpg

Just a few more (maybe 130 more) horsepower :wink:

Nice new bike. Pity the only electric motor on it is to start it :p

unsane said:
I have a pair of jeans made by Hornee - they are look exactly the same as your white cammo pants. They're quite soft and don't feel as strong as they actually are!
I was watching almost that exact thing on ebay this afternoon, only in green camo and they were just down the road from me too (new but didnt fit the guy) I ended up getting distracted at work and the bloody things sold 30 seconds before I logged back in to check. They went for $55 too :(

Speaking of needing protective riding gear, 2 cars nearly took me out this arvo within 10 minutes. Both only fairly slow but at any speed a 2 tonne car and a soft body don't mix.

[youtube]8UdjJBGiFiU[/youtube]

Timma2500 said:
Any updates on the Stealth DB Jay?
Nah not yet, had a few other projects and jobs on.
But here's a short video showing it after it left you :)

[youtube]b3hgCLdhVG8[/youtube]

Looks like that second one would have got me. Nice heads up riding on your part. I would have bitched at him for crossing a lane of traffic so quickly, and not looking before parking. They seem to have about the same regard for bikers as they do for dogs huh.
Brian L.

Phoebus said:
I am surprised that you don't take the lane!
I'd just come up the inside a row of stopped traffic and could hear the guy right on my tail so didn't want to swing into the lane. Plus in the afternoon on the way home I tend to ride slower as I try to pedal more and just use the motor for what I'd call "heavy assist". So out of courtesy I tend to keep as far left as possible, but yeah, it seems many drivers don't return the courtesy. In the second clip that was actually a bike lane he swerved into. I don't normally pass cars moving quickly if there's an intersection or chance they could move across on me, but that guys move was totally out of the blue. I normally sit off the back quarter of cars so even if they do come across I'd only need light braking to miss them. You need to pull out all stops when a guy suddenly moves across like that though and then jumps on the brakes!

RallySTX said:
I would have bitched at him for crossing a lane of traffic so quickly, and not looking before parking.
Well, I did call him a dickhead right at door level as he was getting out :lol:
Maybe some large metal spring loaded studs in my handlebars would be good for the likes of the first guy. I want the layer of electrons back that that guy stripped off my shoulder :lol:

LOL @ postie - I'm surprised he did a nose dive with all the weight in the back. I think he was the guy that had those spokes I sent you full throttle :p

Hobbit said:
( please,please,please ) there's been a distinct lack of "upskirting" style vids lately, :lol: even with a dirty great scratch on the lens
Here, ya big perve. Sorry, no upskirt shots, she wasnt wearing one :lol:

[youtube]gZ91_9EaRGQ[/youtube]

I would have given her the time honoured exclamation of "Good Arse"

I went past a girl riding a bike in cycling shorts and said it and as I looked back she mouthed "thank you" with a big smile.

Hyena said:
Hobbit said:
( please,please,please ) there's been a distinct lack of "upskirting" style vids lately, :lol: even with a dirty great scratch on the lens
Here, ya big perve. Sorry, no upskirt shots, she wasnt wearing one :lol:

[youtube]gZ91_9EaRGQ[/youtube]

Ooh, that deserves a creepy happy dance right there!

happy-dance-the-colbert-report-9352750-300-229.gif

Justtoby said:
I would have given her the time honoured exclamation of "Good Arse"

I went past a girl riding a bike in cycling shorts and said it and as I looked back she mouthed "thank you" with a big smile.

F'n brilliant, I was too civilised (and married) to think of that =D

Respect for words and not sticks with your close shaves Jay. Great restraint with the GOLFUN. A large dose of pacifism and peace hippy meditation required to not let the riding adrenalin get the better of me. Simon and Garfunkle riding tunes on the bike ghetto blaster and singing "are you going to Scarborough Fair... parsley sage rosemary and thyme..." =P

Hi from Canada Hyena....

I just spent the last 3 days of free time reading through this entire thread. I wanted to say hi and tell you that I relate to your struggle that you went through. I had a shit fight with Leukemia starting when I was 32. It was a 4 year journey to get back to my old self. Masses of chemo and finally a bone marrow transplant and a lot of positive mindset got me through it. You're a trooper and I loved how you shared your story with the friends you have made here on this site. I love your light hearted and interesting videos as well.

Your comments on how chemo kicks the crap out of you really made me remember how it was 8 years ago. I remember when getting off the couch and walking in my yard for 1 minute was a momentous occasion. Loosing the hair was fun all well for me lol. I am a hairy guy head to toe and I had so much chemo that it all fell out. Even the hair in my nose and ears. I was odd looking in the mirror and seeing a pure white hairless entity when I am used to having Chewbacca looking back at me.

Anyway... keep up the positive attitude... it was what got me through it all. I never once packed it in and felt like coasting. Here are some pics... I want to share, too.

When I was diagnosed I got JoJo to keep me company because I new I would have a lot of time on my hands and would want the companionship. He turned into the most loving dog I have ever seen.

This is the day I brought him home.
n670710551_672077_9269.jpg

This is 6 months after bone marrow transplant. I could barely walk for a minute but I made my friends drag me to a sand pit so I could ride my motocross bike. I managed to ride it for a minute then that was it.
n670710551_672078_9475.jpg

Here i am 8 years later with JoJo napping on the couch. He's 100lbs of goofball. The battle is worth it. I have a new look at life now a I'm sure you have too. You're going to be ok I can tell after reading all your posts on your treatment :)
Photo-0023.jpg

Awesome, Another survivors here! so that mean 3 of us been went through the nightmare chemo therapy

Back