Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

ezza said:
Don't want to hi-jack(too much :lol: ), but this is a friend of mine who shot a video of his GF riding her ebike, from his quadcopter. Check out some of his other videos, they are well worth a look. :wink: :wink:

http://vimeo.com/54111900

Eric
That's not a hijack - that's a slap in the face :)

The swimware video is very good 8)

just gotta figure how to get the copter closer and heat up the ride, like this one done w/ a very unsafe gopro mount:
[youtube]XhPfWrAcUqk[/youtube]

ps. just teasing, hy. your stuff is great. i can't believe you took those rocks. hurt my shoulder to watch. keep posting!

I never intended my post to be a slap in the face and I hope it wasn't taken that way. Just wanted to share similar interests. :)

Hi, Happy friday :)
just had a carazy thing happen.. i pluged 2 of 3 the sub paccks in to the charge board and the wires STARTED smoking but i got onto it real quick and unpluged one pack. obvously there was enough voltage diference between some packs/cells to create a very high current down the balance wires. i thought this might be posible but never expected to see smoke. and yes it wasnt plug int series :) i already lerned that lesson and put a note on the board to remind myself. do you know of this happening before? cells were down to 3.75v (on the pack charging atm)

Yup, I've fried a jst connector doing this.... can't remember what the diff was but it wasn't that much! Went bang! and melted the pin and plastic connector..... :shock:

ezza said:
Don't want to hi-jack(too much :lol: ), but this is a friend of mine who shot a video of his GF riding her ebike, from his quadcopter. Check out some of his other videos, they are well worth a look. :wink: :wink:

http://vimeo.com/54111900
Killer angles, I'm jealous. I need to get me some of that goin on on the trails!
Hmm, maybe I should reach out to a sydney based RC club and see if anyone wants to play chasies with my gopro onboard.
Oh and yeah no offense taken by posting the vid! I do try to keep this thread for my own personal builds or related things I'm doing but you could definately argue it's related :) The only slap was that it's so much better than what I've got to play with at the moment. :p

As for the balance tap thing, normally you need a fair imbalance to cause them to smoke up - like one pack flat and the other 3/4 charged. As you might notice with that charger if you have cells that are close to 3v (ideally you dont want to discharge them that low too often) you'll find that within seconds of plugging in the charger at 8 amps they're up around 3.5v and then upwards around 3.8-3.9v where they hang around for a good chunk of the charge. I accidently paralleled 2 packs the other day one that was at 3.85v/cell and another with cells at 4v/cell and it got pretty warm in my hand over a few seconds after which I yanked it. Did you happen to measure the voltages of the other pack ? The cells typically stay really well balanced right until the last 5-10% and if they were at 3.75v that's close to nominal so you'd probably only used around 7ah right ?
Keep an eye on it and maybe check the voltages of each sub pack next time before plugging them all into parallel. It could also be that one of the packs wasnt charged last time you used it (loose connection mid charge maybe ?) so it was more discharged than the others ? You should see 75.2 - 75.6v on a full charge.
Oh and you'll know if they're in series, they won't smoke they'll just instantly vaporise the pins and fuse the plastic casing

Hyena said:
As for the balance tap thing, normally you need a fair imbalance to cause them to smoke up - like one pack flat and the other 3/4 charged. As you might notice with that charger if you have cells that are close to 3v (ideally you dont want to discharge them that low too often) you'll find that within seconds of plugging in the charger at 8 amps they're up around 3.5v and then upwards around 3.8-3.9v where they hang around for a good chunk of the charge. I accidently paralleled 2 packs the other day one that was at 3.85v/cell and another with cells at 4v/cell and it got pretty warm in my hand over a few seconds after which I yanked it. Did you happen to measure the voltages of the other pack ? The cells typically stay really well balanced right until the last 5-10% and if they were at 3.75v that's close to nominal so you'd probably only used around 7ah right ?
Keep an eye on it and maybe check the voltages of each sub pack next time before plugging them all into parallel. It could also be that one of the packs wasnt charged last time you used it (loose connection mid charge maybe ?) so it was more discharged than the others ? You should see 75.2 - 75.6v on a full charge.
Oh and you'll know if they're in series, they won't smoke they'll just instantly vaporise the pins and fuse the plastic casing
I worked out what I did, prety stupid... when i accidently pluged in balance leads in parallel while series anderson plug was in, I burnt a conector on a balance lead and it didnt conect and charge that cell, but i didn't notice because after i disconected the series plug I connected them all in parallel so 2 of the 3 sub packs were on that cell charging but the 3rd blown pin one wasnt conected. (it was the negative pin) . so it gets worse.. went for a ride adjusting the CA and thought it was all good. went home and put it on charge, thats when balance lead started smoking with a second or two, pulled out plug and ran cos i noticed the pack was ballooned (I thought it was going to explode or something). checked voltages and the uncharged cell was at 0.0V!!! NOOO! so I looked at how to salvage the pack but seing as I want it to be reliable etc, going to replace the 2x6s packs i destroyed a cell in each of. costly mistake.

Bummer dude. I try to simplify the wiring as much as possibly but if you want to parallel balance charge there's always the risk of forgetting to unplug the series link plug no mattery how many warning there are :oops:
Anyway from emails it sounds you're on top of it now.

On another note, I got record economy on my commute today. Still riding the fighter because I haven't had time to fix my other rides. I really have to pull the fighter off the road soon, with 7 broken spokes flopping around it's starting to make a racket :lol: Surprisingly (especially considering 4 in a row are broken) it still rides totally smooth and once you're doing more than about 5km/hr you don't notice any wobble or imbalance.

By keeping my speed down, refraining from hard applications of left wrist and pedalling constantly (arrived a little warm but not sweating or puffing) I achieved the following. Take that SamD :p
Who says big heavy motors can't be efficient. And this is on a big heavy offroad bike with knobby tyres too.
I think these figures are similar to what kepler found on his fighter with slicks and BPM motor @ ~1500w so I'm pretty happy with this.
This gives me a theortical max range of 85km which is pretty sweet. I'm not sure I could ride sedately for THAT long though :p

CA-stats.jpg

Hyena said:
This gives me a theortical max range of 85km which is pretty sweet. I'm not sure I could ride sedately for THAT long though :p

Not only theoretical...I did it...several times. I recall making 90km+ once too. :D And that was with about 10km of full power thrashing in the middle.

Think I may have posted about it a while back in the Stealth thread.

When people ask now...as they always do...about the range, I tell them 30km flat out, and 100km taking it real easy. Usually impresses...but little do they know it's 100km at normal bike speeds only. Still, that's pretty good. :)

Cheers

pendragon8000 said:
Hyena said:
I worked out what I did, prety stupid... when i accidently pluged in balance leads in parallel while series anderson plug was in, I burnt a conector on a balance lead and it didnt conect and charge that cell, but i didn't notice because after i disconected the series plug I connected them all in parallel so 2 of the 3 sub packs were on that cell charging but the 3rd blown pin one wasnt conected. (it was the negative pin) . so it gets worse.. went for a ride adjusting the CA and thought it was all good. went home and put it on charge, thats when balance lead started smoking with a second or two, pulled out plug and ran cos i noticed the pack was ballooned (I thought it was going to explode or something). checked voltages and the uncharged cell was at 0.0V!!! NOOO! so I looked at how to salvage the pack but seing as I want it to be reliable etc, going to replace the 2x6s packs i destroyed a cell in each of. costly mistake.

Attachments

• 532192_10152304227135370_961556925_n.jpg
    532192_10152304227135370_961556925_n.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,139
pendragon8000 said:
lol, haha, yep. at least I can laugh now :) I should get nominated for some kind of "worst ebike user error of 2012" or something.

nice effort on the economy tip Hyena.

Mate we all do it. Some more than once. LOL i think ive done it five or more times. The serial to Parrallel is one i always forget to do. And i have it written in all places to remind me LOL.

Just as long as you dont hurt yourself with bad KFF then its just money to replace and no problems :). Only one KFF for me so far. and thats enough! Carbon is hard to scrub off as well

Hyena-

14.8 W/Km Impressive that you can be so controlled LOL. I managed a 18.8 with new motor on my commute to work this morning. Was bloody happy with the overal trip as well. Got on the M5 at the M5 / M7 junction. Was beside a B-double truck. When i exited at Stacey Street the same truck was at the exit as well. The Bike travels much faster up stacey street, so overal my bike commute in peak hour is faster than driving the car!

The regen torque is a lot more on the Crystalyte ive found and it wants to undo the axle nuts so fast. After first test ride was showing the guys are work the regen braking and the wheel dropped out and Severed the wires LOL. So now ive done my first Hall replacement as well. Managed to grab one outta the old motor and have more on the way now as well. Almost got thrown off the back on the way to work today as well. This motor is a beast on torque!

Scruff

bit of the off road session from today. I had the lilt set to 1.1Kw cos it was to twitchy at 3Kw (full power) most of the tracks are technical slowish stuff. I was using the motor to boost me up hills and power out of corners. I was a bit out of practice at first but got back into it ok. sorry the video is dizzying from the handle bar electrical tape mount ;) . did some power wheelies in the car park after i got back to the car, switched it to 2.2KW , pulled the front wheel up no worries remember I got 29 inch wheels to so the way the bike handles is smoother over rough stuff but less efficient at accelerating. thanks again to Hyena for the rad kit, enjoy the video...
[youtube]Iwn_4o4CAOM[/youtube]

pendragon8000 said:
thanks again to Hyena for the rad kit, enjoy the video...
No dramas mate. I've got another bloke interested in converting a 29er (you fashion victims you :p ) so I'll refer him to your thread and videos.
Speaking of which I want to try and keep this thread just for pics and vids of my own personal bikes and projects rather than for everyone else I've made stuff for - if that's cool. I'm subscribed to your thread so I see the vids there when you post them.

Back on topic, I had a great start to the morning today. I have a late work meeting tonight so went in late and decided to go for a quick body surf. Killer way to start the day. Well, if I got up earlier it'd be a good way to start the day, it's a bit cheeky doing it at 9:30 on a week day :p
I'll have to endevour to get up earlier and make it part of my summer routine. More pedalling and a swim every day will be a good way to loose the 5kg of flab I put on over the last 18 months (as I lazily layed around trying to not due from cancer or the treatment :p )

surf-fighter.jpg

Things went pear shaped 15 minute later though on my way to work when the bike lane I was happily pedalling along in (doing around 45km/hr) ended. It wouldn't have been an issue other than the car behind me sped up to beat me to the round about so I wouldn't be in front of him in the road. I went to brake but there was a patch of leaves/slippery shea oak needles right there and the front wheel went from under me. You can see the skid mark in the below pic where it happened. Considering I had a bit of pace up when it happened and there was a car behind me (I ended up on the road half in the left lane) I actually got off pretty light. Most importantly minimal damage to the bike! (scuffed pedal tip and throttle grip) and no significant injuries other than a pretty massively scraped and swollen lower right leg and an oddly placed graze about 2" wide from my hip to my shoulder on my left side. As the wheel went from under me I started to go over the bars but held the grips tight, then somehow during that slow motion crashing event as the bike flipped around I ended up hanging off the back of the bike (basically waterskiing behind it as it crashed to the road) and wound up laying on my back with the bike on top of me (I broke her fall :p )
I know my shins are busted up from the pedals and the bruise on my knee from hitting the bars but I can't work out of the graze up my side is from scraping something on the bars during my temporary trip forward or maybe from dragging along the tip of the seat as I ended up face down dragging off the back :lol:

Fun and games!

stack.jpg

Bummer dude glad no major damage to your good self or bike...

It is amazing the scrapes you can get after a two wheeled bingle... It might seem in slow motion while it is happening but all sorts of wierd contortions can occur during the process...

Bloody roundabouts and being on a bike... If I had a $ for everytime some tool sped up to get to the roundabout first, or even tried to pass me IN the roundabout... I'd have like... 20 bucks or something...

These days I either pull up to get the frockers outta the way or take up the whole lane on approach so they can't do that shizzle. (generally take the lane if I am on a 30kn/h+ vehicle or pull up if I am legal)

Joe

Ouch! Glad to hear it wasn't worse. I hate when people speed up to beat you to the next intersection. Funny thing is where I live, 9 times out of ten I end up back in front of the car that just passed me, because they hit congestion. :roll:

Nice idea with the ride to body surf each morning. I might have to start doing that one.

Dude, that bike ain't going to last long if you lock it up just with a cablelock!

As for the crash, looks like a classic case of bad quality cycling infrastructure (disappearing bike lane, plus crap on road).

I had a roundabout interaction this year (my first crash), basically a car was playing the "I must get ahead of the bike" game (as always), got real close to me as I was approaching the intersection. I thought no problems, I will just ride over this white line. Except it was a stupid raised bit with a painted curb (it was dusk, I was wearing sunnies). The (foreign) dude actually stopped though, I guess he was not sure whether he hit me or not.

Now I just take the lane or slow down a lot to let the car pass first.

Fun and games indeed.

Jay, photos of injuries please. You know the rules! :wink:

I love the look of the fighter, The other photo at the beach is awsome to.
however, actualy LMAO when i looked at the back wheel, look at all the broken spokes! not laughing at you mate, just wtf?! must be a bloody tuff rim.
file.php

Hey Jay,
Does your rear wheel wobble at speed? Looks like your 7+kw 4080 isn't very friendly on 13g spokes. Beutiful pic. How was the water?

Jay, that back wheel is a discrace. :lol: Will need to confiscate that bike from you if you dont do something with it soon. :p

Sounds that was a nasty fall. Glad you didn't do any major damage to yourself.

Back