Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Architectonic said:
Dude, that bike ain't going to last long if you lock it up just with a cablelock!
Yeah I rarely leave it out of my sight so the chain is more just to stop someone walking straight off with it.
If they really wanted it it'd probably be easier to cut through the thin metal seat support with tin snips than use bolt cutters on the chain.
But yeah, it's not like I leave it laying around for hours unattended. And on the odd trips to the shops (big shopping centres or bunnings etc) I wheel it inside the door and chain it to a bin or bench or something.

Spicerack said:
Jay, photos of injuries please. You know the rules! :wink:
They really are trivial, it's mainly brusing and sore rather than significant patches of obvious skin off.

pendragon8000 said:
look at all the broken spokes! not laughing at you mate, just wtf?! must be a bloody tuff rim.
haha yeah it's seen better days. And you can't even see half the broken spokes in that pic because they're resting pretty much in position up against the hub flange.

Glenn_M said:
Mate, seems like everytime you get on a bike these days you come a cropper.
Might be time to put the training wheels back :mrgreen:
haha. hey when was the last that I came off ? I think it was when I was car doored a few months ago, that can't be helped. This is the first time I've dropped the fighter but thankfully no damage.

Rix said:
Hey Jay,
Does your rear wheel wobble at speed? Looks like your 7+kw 4080 isn't very friendly on 13g spokes. Beutiful pic. How was the water?
It has a slight wobble in it if you look down but it's not really noticable when riding - no obvious bob or wobble. I have a 4065 sitting here laced up ready to go on when I get time. My fighter is the only working bike I have at the moment though so I don't want to have it off the road at all until I have something else fixed to ride to work. Like mechanics, it seems typical that I have the most busted up bikes while I spent time fixing up everyone elses!
The water was great, perfect infact. It was about 30 out but we haven't had alot of hot days lately so the water was still nice and cool. I'm definitely making more effort to detour on the way to work. I was a bit sore this morning and have a busy day ahead at work had to give it a miss but will get on it again next week. On that note I just ordered a LCD bacpac for my gopro. This will fix it up so I can use it again (still out of commission from when I fired an arrow through it :lol: ) so nice scenery :wink: vids at the beach should only be a few weeks away.

Kepler said:
Jay, that back wheel is a discrace. :lol: Will need to confiscate that bike from you if you dont do something with it soon. :p
haha

Tis but a few broken spokes... I've had worse :p

HolyGrail017.jpg

Oh and I took it nice and easy today, given all those broken spokes and all :mrgreen:

CA-Stats2.jpg

Surprisingly still pretty economical considering I was sticking the boot in all the way here. Alot of start stop traffic knocked around my average speed but still pretty respectable.

Gotta fix them spokes mate! Before you actually have to.

I finally got the H4065 in the trunk of my car. Where it will sit for a while. Has Kenny sent you any motors with a temp sensor wire at all? How would/have you hooked them up? I imagine any temp gauge would work of Hooked up properly? Please lend me your sage words of advice :D

Yeah my latest batch of H40s I ordered with temp sensors. They're 2K thermistors from memory. I haven't found a circuit yet to make use of them to get an accurate reading on a meter but it'd probably easier to just refit a different type of sensor. A 10k thermistor if you have a V3 CA would be good.

So, I made a little video to count up my broken spokes. The wheel still rolls fine, infact I just got back from an hour trail ride. I finally got around to mounting a fixed light on the bike and have wired it up to the second accessory click on my main key switch. Half turn = bike on, full turn = bike on + headlight on.
It's not overly focused but fine for riding at 40km/hr on pitch black trails. It has quite a bit of spill so I've been running with it on all the time during the day to increase my visibilty (to others) and have found cars take alot more notice of me, so that's good. It has a noticable spot on the ground in front but I've noticed it also illuminates reflective signs way ahead in the distance. For higher speed night riding I have a second light on the bike. I just had to mounted with the supplied rubber loop which was too loose on the thinner top brace of my handlebars but the light output from the 2 was nice. I'll edit a segment of that video later on.

stealth-headlight.jpg

[youtube]BKjT9YEWtL8[/youtube]

Jay, that looks like the light you sold me. They are pretty awesome and yeah I found the same thing with riding with it on during the day, drivers seem to hesitate b4 cutting me off giving enough time to realise I'm going fast. Just wondering if the thermostat in yours cuts off when not moving(no air cooling)?

full-throttle said:
Who built that wheel? What spokes are they? Looks like the spoke heads were not seated properly.
Sapim strong. Though I use that word loosely :p
Wheel was laced properly by glow worm using spokes and washers from JRH (this was before they got their spoke cutter) It WAS ok but I'm sure continuously riding with more and more busted spokes is making the rest worse. I'm tempted to keep riding it until it REALLY needs changing :p But I'll be throwing on a 4065 over the xmas break anyway as my intention for this bike was always more torque and low end pull for offroading. I may even relace the 4080 and put it on my commuter - I'm really digging the effiency I get from this wheel with plenty of pedalling on the fighter. I'm sure the mac wheel I'm rebuilding now will win out for weight saving but it's certainly nice to have the extra power on tap even if I only use it once a week.

Ken, yeah same light, they're pretty good and in hind sight I should have just wired it straight to the aux out on the CA rather than rewiring it into the DC-DC converter inside the frame but meh, it's all neat now and I live having the key switch to operate it. I might hook up a second headlight for additional high brightness needs of a night.
Oh and yeah the thermostat is permanantly in operation - it's a bimetalic disc type so works strictly off the temperature and has no power requirements etc. When it gets too hot it goes open and when it cools the connection snaps back in. Give how these hubs heat up when you stop after a thrashing it often trips for me after I've stopped. Eg I'll be zooming around then come to a road I need to cross or stop at a light and it trips while I'm sitting there still, failing to work when I go to move off again. This was one of my earlier tests with thermostats so it's only a 100oC one - yours and others subsequent are fitted with a 110oC one which gives that little bit of extra overheat without still cutting it so close that it could damage the motor (allowing for it to heat up that little bit more once stopped)
When testing with an actual temp gauge I found that the temp rarely got to 100oC @ 4kw (usually hovered in the 90s) but the extra power on the fighter puts it over if you keep the boot in. And especially regen, I've tripped the 100oC cut out a number of times just with light street riding that certainly shouldn't bother a motor, but with heavy and frequent regen they really heat up.

OH sorry I thought you were talking about the motor. I've never tripped the thermo in the light and I'm not sure the air cooling when moving plays a HUGE role. It's only 12w and fairly well heatsinked with all the fins on the case. Although it uses 4 emitters I reckon my single T6 headlight is as bright and uses around the same amount of power. It has a much smaller case which gets hotter but still isnt an issue.

Here's a quick clip from a ride today. I'm reluctant to post it after Glenn's comments last week :p
I found a new track when out riding today. Naturally I decided to explore it and get on the power. It was tighter than I anticipated and clipped a tree, dropping me and the bike like a sack of shit! No injuries thankfully, it was fairly low speed but the sudden impact bought things to a rapid stop. And to think I'd already chopped 2" off each side of the bars to fit through narrower gaps too!
After riding last night I happened across a new trail. I'm not sure it's totally new but I've never seen it before. I think maybe the bush fire cleared out alot of the undergrowth that was obscuring the entrance to these tracks, or maybe I was always just belting alone the main trails too fast too see them. It's fairly slow rough sorta stuff but I'll upload a clip later if it looks interesting to rewatch.

IN the meantime here's the stack from today - still processing so give it 20 mins if you see this straight away
[youtube]p0IHJYC6Wng [/youtube]

NIght ride vid - varying speeds and trails in this one - from tight twisties to fast open fire trails. I managed to stay up right this time :p
The spot from the second light is a bit bright at times which wasnt particularly the case IRL, it's just how the camera picked it up.

[youtube]23Z_oYtc7dY[/youtube]

Geez, ya neighbours don't mind putting up a light or two for Christmas much do they?
Glad to see you remembered the black round things are the side meant to stay on the ground this time.
Even with those lights, that single track was taken at a speed my balls aren't big enough for. Maybe I'm getting old :cry:

Glenn

Great video :wink:

Amazing how many little rocks the tires throw up. In the headlights they look like little shooting stars. I bet the front side of your bike gets sandblasted over time.

That single track stuff gave me white knuckles just watching. You're much braver than me.

Thanks guys, I'll do another night ride video if there's interest. It's certainly a nice time of year to do it. Hopefully catch some wild life next time too. There's usually a few kangaroos or deer about.

Glenn_M said:
Geez, ya neighbours don't mind putting up a light or two for Christmas much do they?
Hah, you don't know the half of it. I'll go for a ride a few streets up tonight and show you the guys who REALLY like their lights. The places are lit up like vegas.
I'll upload my xmas special tonight, just before santa comes :)

fechter said:
Amazing how many little rocks the tires throw up. In the headlights they look like little shooting stars. I bet the front side of your bike gets sandblasted over time.
Yeah there's one section of the track where I always end up with a mouthful of sand so I knew the tyres were flicking stuff up, but not as much as is highlighted with the headlight.

That single track stuff gave me white knuckles just watching. You're much braver than me.
Yeah I could have been in trouble if I clipped a tree or otherwise came off during that little sprint. Worst of all if I broke the headlight as I fell I'd really be up the creek as it's pitch black in the middle of the bush.
I guess it's one of those cases of being old enough to know better but still young enough to do it anyway :p

Speaking of which, today is the last ride with the H4080 for a while, it's down another 2 spokes and it seems 24 spokes is getting close to the limit of what I can get away with :lol:
It's got a noticable low speed wobble now which funnily enough disappears at high speed still. Centrifugal action keeping it spinning somewhat round I guess. It was fine on my 50km round trip to the surf and exploring this morning but I'll not risk it for much longer - the bike is too heavy to get stranded somewhere. I've got a replacement H4065 here ready to go on, which will be better suited to the offroad nature of the bike. Before I decommission the H4080 though I strapped on a 6S booster pack and took it for a quick sprint. Glancing down at the CA it was hitting 10kw peaks :twisted:
I've got a 300m straight near my house I normally do high speed runs on but ran out of road before I could hit top speed. It was still pulling before I had to bail and hit the brakes so I reckon it'll hit around 95km/hr given enough road. Pretty good for 24" wheels with knobbies and too fast for any sane person to sustain. But with such a high top speed the midrange torque band is great - it pulls like a freight train between 20-70km/hr. With the 65 wind motor it should be perfect for offroading and if I find I need the extra top end I can always throw the 6S booster on. I've wired the bike with a permanent external 50a anderson plug for this purpose. Normally it just has another plug with a loop of 8ga wire in it for running on the internal 18ah 18S battery, but it's a 2 second swap the yank it and plug in the booster when required. And this also doubles as a battery isolator if required.

land-speed-record.jpg

Hi, Jay,
happy to see that you'll soon experiment the HS4065...but I'm wondering the interest to go with the 6s extra pack @ full charge regarding an answer of steam25 whose testing kenny stuffs in China...to share...
personnaly I stand with 20S 16Ah with (30C 5S 8000mAh pack) regarding is experience...(and truying to find the best reliable controller to fit..)

"the Xlyte motors can handle 72-85V but if you go higher they all have the problem of little shorts between the housing and stator. i had the same idea before. i ordered 2pcs of 4050 low speed series high torque. put them in 24" rims and used 100-125V controllers.
torque was ok and speed also but after 5min all motors shortend and i send them back for repair.
they cant stand the high voltage. you can try 100V and if you are lucky the motor hold it. otherwise you spend much time to solder in new FETs in your controllers.
to your main question: "do you think 103.2V is too much for the HS4065 ? "
yes i think so. you can still try it. result with a 100V + controller will give you a shit lot of power and speed. if you like to use regen as well i suggest you to get a 24FET controller. it will help not to die so quickly with regen abuse and could stand some serious amps if you shunt it up later.

my friends bike with 4065 motor and 85V with 11.000-13.000Watts burst is impossible to full throttle from start cause it will end in a backflip even you lean forward as much as ou can. :wink: :mrgreen:

Damn Jay, your 4080 must like 24s with the numbers I saw on your CA. Can't wait to see your 4065 with 24s. Probably just a little more top speed than the 4080 w/18s but tons more torque. Can you say power wheelies :D Will you be using thicker spokes? Can't wait to see you vids with the 4065, especially 2nd person view.

Rick

dan974 said:
to your main question: "do you think 103.2V is too much for the HS4065 ? "
yes i think so.
I never posted that, I think you have the wrong thread.
There's no reason these motors should magically start shorting with an extra 10 volts, I think you or your mate copped some dud motors or something else was wrong. 100+v is out with 4110s and I'm not really keen to go to 4115s. 24S is pushing the limit though and no doubt everything will be happier at a little lower voltage. I know 18S has always been faultless in everything I run. 20S is fine too but I normally stick with 18 due to ease of 3x multiples of 6S rather that 4x5S.

Rix said:
Damn Jay, your 4080 must like 24s with the numbers I saw on your CA. Can't wait to see your 4065 with 24s.
It sucked bulk watts down when I gave it some, I know that!
I'll run the 4065 on the internal 18S pack for now and see how it goes. Should be similar to a stock fighter with a little more top end but a heap more torque.
And yeah thicker spokes this time around. I'm actually trying the stock 12 gauge crystalyte spokes, just because I have them on hand. If they aren't up to the task I'll pull out the drill and go for broke with 10ga.

pendragon8000 said:
That's awesome, 100+v fighter. I was thinking today about how you moded a fighter rather than a bomber and giving that lighter more agile end result while its still an absolute ROCKET is pretty awesome I reakon.
Thanks mate, that was my goal :)

Anyway as promised, the Hyena Industries youtube channel christmas special :p
A quick ebike ride to check out the houses that go all out with their lighting!
(still uploading, give it 40 mins)
So to all the Aussies Merry Christmas!
For everyone else who's a day behind - sorry but I intend to clean out Santa's lithium supplies :mrgreen:

[youtube]-N86vUs0i2Y[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N86vUs0i2Y&feature=youtu.be

Only one more sleep until the quad bike is unleaded, honestly you think it will survive the day unmodified ;P

Hyena,

Any feedback on the 4065? What controller are you using and how many AMP's. I hope to get mine going soon

See the link below to another tread with info and questions about this HUB

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37151&start=45

Cheers
Matt

I haven't had a chance to throw it on yet Matt, my wife is at work so my "holidays" thus far are being spent preventing my 2 little terrorists from burning the house down :|

Before I start pulling the fighter down I wanted to get my other bikes fixed and have just gotten my mac bike built up. I took it for a 30km test run yesterday and it's pretty sweet. The 10t motor has surprisingly good torque considering the lowly 30 amp current limit I'm running on it. It's running 18S lipo like most of my bikes though so somewhat high voltage.
This will be my new commuter bike for work but I'm going to hunt around for a new frame for it. The one I have it on now is heavy and cheap which detracts from the light weight and small size of the mac and 6 fet controller I'm running. For my work commute I could even get away with a 5ah pack which would further bring the weight down but I think I'll stick with a 10ah so I've always got plenty of juice if I want to go somewhere else (which is often the case)

Time to do some editing, last vid for the year up soon :)

Trip to the beach - some deep sandy patches that I managed to plow through but had some hardcore wobbles up at times!

[youtube]665ZL5KKUFI[/youtube]

Nice vid Jay. The other week I blew a controller in heavy sand so I'm riding quite conservative at the moment on my spare controller until I get it repaired. Might try pulling it apart to see what went. Black soot where the phase wires come out.

Back