• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I am freaking paranoid.

Iron Yeti

100 W
So shoot me. I am going to invest in a super kickass electric bike, why not protect the damn thing?
18mm Hardened steel U-Lock for the back tire and frame.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1096
Flex cable for the headset/frame/front tire.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1001&pid=1123
Locking Skewer bolts for the front tire at least. (I have decided to mount my motor on the front hub) I hope these work with E-bikes setups...
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp

Overkill? Maybe. Piece of mind? Yap. :mrgreen:

All useless.
Try this http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/personal-paging-system-set-pps-1.html or this http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY_ID%3A2001376&productId=2001376&catalogId=10111

Lessss said:
3A2001376&productId=2001376&catalogId=10111

Ooo, I like that one. I probably wouldn't use the actual alarm (cause your bike is likely to get knocked around a little in the rack; an alarm would just be annoying), but I like the idea of my keychain letting me know if someone is mucking with my bike. :)

Pager alarms are handy.

Best part is: you can tell if it's your alarm going off, or somebody else's. In a big city, alarms are always being set off.

That alarm is pretty cool.

Btw. The $400.00 bike on Amazon.com selling for $265.00+free shipping only has 6 left and I am missing $55.00 bucks to snatch one up. With my luck they will sell out before I get my next paycheck in a week. :cry:

If you can use a mini-u-lock use a mini because it makes it extremely difficult to leverage a jack inside the lock. Portable jacks can do like 10 tons of force to force a lock open.

Of course this is only a problem if your bike is out in the open for long periods of time.

I've had bikes stolen and the only way I feel safer is to make my bike look like junk or "ghetto".

I'm saving for this one:
http://www.treefortbikes.com/144_333222338548__Pitbull-Mini-LS-U-Lock.html

Why not just use a small portable security camera. Mount it on the handlebars. They make them so small now and have a hand held monitor and you can watch it wherever you go. That is if they can be cordless. Maybe use 2 cell phones somehow.

I wish they just made a ridiculously big U lock. Like something made of hardened steel that was 3/4" thick and weighed 25lbs. Or a chain of similar girth. :?

I have yet to see anything that cannot be cut with a 4 1/2"grinder and a cutoff wheel. How would someone power one? a 80 dollar battery pack with a built in inverter not to mention a portable acetalene torch. You can slow them down but don't let your bike out of your sight if you don't want it to get stolen! Anything can be beaten so keep your eyes open and your bike closeby.

My friend back in California just got his $1700 bike stolen. He had every lock imaginable, but made the mistake of having it on his car. Someone sneaked onto his driveway five minutes after he got home and took it. He was taking a crap when he heard the noise and by the time he got outside it was gone. (they had to carry it because one lock on the bike was not removable... there were witnesses and they have his description... hopefully they will catch him)

Makes me think the idea of cutting off the hands of criminals isn't such a bad idea after all... :evil:

I insured mine. I registered it with the state, got plates, and insured it as a motorcycle/moped. Registration was a one time fee of $18, insurance is about $15 a month. If you are thinking about a $400 lock, it is not so bad. I still lock it and protect it. Unfortunately now it is in pieces so I am paying $15 a month to insure a pile of parts in my garage, but that won't last long.

I feel compelled to once again post my favorite security device ever. As a last ditch effort, I feel that if I can't have it, the thieves should not be able to have it either. Besides, I don't want the advanced technology falling into the wrong hands:

[youtube]71ncK0PZwT8[/youtube]

safe said:
there were witnesses and they have his description... hopefully they will catch him)
They won't catch him because cops give ZERO attention to such theft.
As soon as it's entered into the computer it's forgotten.

Unless there is a breadcrumb trail leading to the theif's door, your friend will never see it.
It's probably been sold as parts by the following day.

This is why I ride a "junker" after the first two thefts.
(Well also that I can't afford a nice bike these days)

I wonder if you could install low-jack on a bicycle... I am just going to mini u-lock the back tire to the rear triangle. Then cable lock the front tire, fork, headset, frame, and back tire to a solid object. I am going with the 3x6 New York Kyrptonite U-Lock, or the 4x8 so I can lock the wheel and rear frame to an immovable object.

Btw, bike I was gonna buy, it sold out. All gone. :cry:

Two things work, and neither of em are locks. Coat the bike in spray adhesive and throw dirt on it, then never wash. And a few of these is pretty effective. With a dog door you can walk through who wants to go in? Nobody.

Attachments

• dogpack.jpg
    dogpack.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,383
I've told this story before so this will be brief. I came home for a quick lunch from the golf course and parked my $1,000.00 Cannondale Hybrid by the elevator in the parking garage of our high end ocean front condo. While I was eating my bride commented that someone must be moving in as a furniture truck from Orlando was parked in the entrance to the garage. Fifteen minutes later, a minute or so after the truck left, I left to to go back to the course and my bike was gone!

I immediately called the gate (gated community) and told them to watch out for the truck and stop it but it had already left so I called the local SO and the Florida Highway Patrol. I even gave them a description of the truck. The Highway Patrol told me they don't chase bicycles, the SO came by a couple of hours later and took a report. Fortunately my homeowners insurance paid for the bike.

Since then I LOCK it every time and no longer live in a condo. I have had a seat and seat post stolen, a light and someone twisted a computer off the handlebars since then, the bike however was locked and secured to something. (since sold that particular bike) Some people are simply shit.

Vendors were in my house resealing some floors last month and stole a prescription of hydracodone from a bathroom drawer. They probably steal bikes when their not stealing hydracodone.

Just slap some shrink wrap on it to make it look like a battery, stick a few dummy wires and "connect" it to the system with a "Warning - High Voltage" sticker on it's side. 8)

I have a semi-hidden kill switch for the power on my bike that I turn off at every stop when I lock.

If someone were to try to ride off, I dare say the load would surprise and slow them down a tad.

Really though, a bike is vulnerable, never ride more than you are willing to lose.

You don't even have to park it to lose it, in the wrong neighborhood you could get "bike-jacked".

mvadventure said:
Vendors were in my house resealing some floors last month and stole a prescription of hydracodone from a bathroom drawer. They probably steal bikes when their not stealing hydracodone.

I don't even let my landlord in my apartment. I'd never let strangers in here.
Did they scope out your HDTV or other items to "come back" for? You never know.

TylerDurden said:
needWheels said:
I've had bikes stolen and the only way I feel safer is to make my bike look like junk or "ghetto".
Dit-to on da ghet-to...

This is my cleverly disguised Optibike:

I'm amazed that gel seat cover is still on there. I've had one stolen off my bike at a store years ago.

needWheels said:
I have a semi-hidden kill switch for the power on my bike that I turn off at every stop when I lock.

If someone were to try to ride off, I dare say the load would surprise and slow them down a tad.

Hey yeah, what about making a resistive braking circuit and having it always on when you leave your bike.

Won't do nuthin' if they have a van or ute or something, but if they try and ride away, they're not going to be going very far.

Heh I was going to suggest a locking solenoid when the battery was off but one bad SLA sag while you are riding and the lockup would probably get you killed, LOL

How about a switch that leaves it in reverse, LOL (brushed can do reverse in theory right?)

I'm not worried about someone throwing it in a van or pickup - good luck with six X 5.5 lbs of SLA in the back.

Oooh I just had an idea. How about an RFID reader that would only unlock the wheel if you were within 10 feet.

You'd carry the rfid on your keychain or something.

needWheels said:
Oooh I just had an idea. How about an RFID reader that would only unlock the wheel if you were within 10 feet.

You'd carry the rfid on your keychain or something.

I thought of something similar, actually. I'd use one of those wheel locks somehow connected up to a solenoid. And you could also rig it up to a keychain transmitter that could unlock/lock it. Someone tries to steal your bike, they get up to speed, and you push the button. Seeing the guy trying to steal my bike doing a faceplant into the concrete would be well worth the broken spoke or two. 8)

Back