i just saw mythbusters and they had an electric bike

Hmm maybe the table provided above refer only to thermal energy within these chemical, where as we're referring to kinetic energy. See how the bang from gasoline yield more heat while hydrogen which look like it's less energy dense from teh table yield bigger bang and less heat. Same goes for the TNT and dynamyte, i don't recall seeing much rock or metal being burn from TNT or dynamite but rather blown up to smithereens from the force

Petrol is pretty hard to beat for calories per pound of mass.

Hydrogen burns hot, yes ... but you only have 2 moles of H in a 1 atmosphere volume to burn.

You can make H2 more dense by using the Sabatier reaction to combine it with CO2 into Methane .... you then have 4 moles of H and 1 mole of C to burn up in that same volume.

To get to Octane, you daisy chain 8 Methane molecules together ... and you get 18 moles of H and 8 moles of C to burn in the same volume of octane vapor.

Translation into english: A Hydrogen Molecule, a Methane Molecule, and a Petrol Vapor Molecule all take up exactly the same amount of volume to store ... you can squeeze in more by making them liquid ... but density is still a problem ... and Gasoline is liquid at room temperature and pressure.

Petrol is not very safe, or all that efficient in an IC engine ... but it is extremely energy dense.

yer like kbarrett says just look at the energy per volume column. if it was ordered like that then hydrogen would be at the bottom. remember hydrogen is lighter than air so its a bit unfair to use per mass of uncompressed gas ....unless your making an airship.

the best way to store hydrogen is by sticking it to carbon.

having said that i think compressed hydrogen is safer than gasoline in a crash. hydrogen goes up but gasoline pools around the car and catches fire.

Tough call on the wreck... gas or 3000psi H2.

Gas could give you some time to get away; any breach of a pressure vessel and a loud noise happens.

I'll stick to WVO... at least I'll smell like somethin good is cooking.

monster said:
there was a tidal force bike in the background. it was in the episode with the steam powered cannon. they seemed to be purposely trying to "accidentally" get it in shot.

i think Jamie is very pro electric because he used a EV motor in on of the other myths. .....me thinks he has a home made electric car!

guys!! watching sme episodes of Mythbusters on the disc channel website, i seen the Jamie's tidalforce ebike ...

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/inde...013704&lineupId=1283221956&titleId=1316297982

Jamie's M5 tour 4 at 4.00min of the video
Doc

Here's another picture from a recent episode, a little better look at his e-bike out in the open during the episode about the confederate steam machine gun. He used his e-bike to find a bullet during a distance test.

Back