I will never buy from BMSBattery again.

To be very specific, in the upper right there is the word cart, assuming you have something in the cart it will say '# products $xxx.xx' beside it. Clicking on the word 'cart' or the icon to it's left will bring you to a specific page. https://www.bmsbattery.com/order This is a link to that page, it is a cart summary page.

Under the "Qty" tab, there is a box with a number in it, with that you can change the number to whatever you want, this will update the total without needing to click the individual add to cart button 9001 times or whatever.

Like was said above, you edit quantity in cart. I agree with you that it is NOT user friendly though. They could do much better on that.

KXrs6dk.png

[edit: i thought that the extra shipping had been removed from the top sellers list, but it looks like people buy more spokes than they spend on extra shipping now. Further proving the point that they aren't hitting everyone with the extra shipping, or at least that the amount is less than the amount of spokes people are buying. I admit I sometimes buy spokes from them, but I'm a wheel builder. I don't think that many people are building their own wheels.]

ZkUzsmH.png

Thanks chaps. Having just ordered a battery I was not looking forward to the postage hike. More for my heads sake than my wallet. You have helped me out no end here. It's stuff like this that niggles the sheet out of me. It's good to talk :)

For the screenshot above I tried to add a million dollars extra shipping to my cart and I got an error "there is not enough in stock". :lol: :lol:

Soj said:
Racer_X said:
You get what you pay for. Next time go with http://www.ebikes.ca/.

WHY? Terrible customer service is what I have experienced from them.

…is what I have heard from exactly one person ever. Ebikes.ca is known as an industry leader in nearly everything, including service. I'm not saying you didn't get bad service (I don't know what happened) but the vast majority of people have great experiences with ebikes.ca. Yes, their prices are higher than others, but it definitely is a 'you get what you pay for' scenario. I use ebikes.ca less now, as it's better for newer guys that need the extra handholding and service/support. I still buy things like lights, torque arms and CA's from them because on that stuff, they still make the best quality products.

If I could make a love baby with ebikes.ca then I would. It would look like me and get under 15 wh/mile.

markz said:
Jason27 said:
I don't understand why people still buy from BMS battery when there are better options out there.

Where are these other better options? Presumably more expensive options.

I think it really depends what one means by "better" and whether we are talking about service or quality of product.

I think we can all agree that BMSbattery's service is paltry. They are hard to deal with, don't always respond quickly and generally it can just be a frustrating experience. Few debate that.

But when it comes to quality, I'd say they are just as good, if not better than a lot of Chinese suppliers, and even on par with US companies (which would make sense, because US companies are just reselling Chinese products).

I've got tens of thousands of miles on many different motors and batteries from BMSbattery. I've also got tens of thousands of miles on motors and batteries from other US and Chinese ebike parts suppliers.

BMSbattery motors have always worked great for me. I've only ever worn out one Q100 motor, and that was after a year of essentially commercial use (built someone a delivery bike that was used every day, all day). The only complaint I had was a Q128 motor that was basically garbage. So that's my only real problem with them on motors.

On batteries I've been very impressed. After dozens of batteries from them, the worst I've beaten up a battery is one of their 24V li-ion packs that is down to 65% capacity after 27 months of hard use. My daily driver ebike has a 48V10AH li-ion that is still giving its rated capacity after 18 months of use.

So yea, if you are a beginner that needs some good support from the company and want to make sure you're protected by a good warranty, there are "better" places than BMSbattery in terms of service (and I'd recommend ebikes.ca as the best place for beginners to buy from). But if you are a hobbyist or ebike builder that just needs good parts at a great price, you'd be hard pressed to find better than BMSbattery.

Where does EM3EV fall into the mix? Read nothing but good things about them, then BMSB is a mixed bag.
Could just buy from ebikes.ca and drop a cool grand, supporting a Canadian business and good support.
The 3 I have had on my list to buy from from the start was always ebikes and em3ev and the mixed reviews on here about bmsb always turned me off, but its cheap, like going to Dollarama and expecting their can opener to last more then 6 months, or expecting that they wont stock shelves during business hours blocking the aisle with boxes, like Walmart. Or assuming the clerk knows what they sell.

Which one is better the em3ev $250 bare hub Mac 500/1000W or the $99 bare hub Q11?

markz said:
Where does EM3EV fall into the mix? Read nothing but good things about them, then BMSB is a mixed bag.
Could just buy from ebikes.ca and drop a cool grand, supporting a Canadian business and good support.
The 3 I have had on my list to buy from from the start was always ebikes and em3ev and the mixed reviews on here about bmsb always turned me off, but its cheap, like going to Dollarama and expecting their can opener to last more then 6 months, or expecting that they wont stock shelves during business hours blocking the aisle with boxes, like Walmart. Or assuming the clerk knows what they sell.

You can go to any two competing big box stores and you won't find all the same stuff at the each places. To illustrate, look at what em3ev.com sells and look at what ebikes.ca sells. Both are ebike(electric bicycle) kits/parts stores, but neither carry almost any of the same stuff, some similar, but not identical stuff and you absolutely couldn't get plenty of the stuff at both places. This story could be told just the same for bmsbattery.com.

Even if ebikes.ca or em3ev.com are the best there is, neither are selling Q100s and related components. To me, it's hard to really compare these three places to one another, I see apple, pear, and orange in my mind.

I've asked both(em3ev.com and ebikes.ca) these places more than once if they are secretly stocking certain types of items or can special order, or even plan to and all I got was basically a no.

If you are looking for small, lightweight, geared hub motors, the number of places to get them are, sadly, not many from what I have seen.

markz said:

Which one is better the em3ev $250 bare hub Mac 500/1000W or the $99 bare hub Q11?

Em3ev also has a great reputation for service and quality. Something of an enigma. American service that happens to be in China.

I don't see buying from BMS like buying a low quality thingamajig at the dollar store. It's more like a store with good stuff at good prices, but no one to help you find anything or answer questions. And no real return policy.

And the Q11 and Mac are both quality motors but they are fundamentally different. Mac is geared and Q11 is direct drive. Both are powerful but the macs gears will eventually wear out. The Q11 could theoretically last a decade as long as you don't get water in it to rust it out or overheat it and destroy the magnets. The Q11 is a 9C clone.

markz said:

They're sticking a well developed, trusted products, but a little prehistoric.. Where's their sine-wave controllers with current control, LCDs and a pedal assist system that you can actually use? Where's their cassette motors? BMSBattery has always had a good range of the latest stuff

You're comparing the wrong two motors. The BMSB equivalent of the MAC is the 48v 500W BPM, which has shown itself to be a fine work-horse. EM3ev's MACs are modified to run more reliably at high currents, so if that's what you want, stick with the MAC, but for lower powers, BMSB have the Bafang CST, which takes some beating. It's smooth, reliable up to 30A and takes cassette gears, so no crappy DNP free-wheels needed.

I just compared a 500w BPM kit from BMSB with the same battery as the equivalent MAC kit from EM3ev, including shipping to the UK. BMSB total is $770, EM£ev is $1130. That's nearly 50% more expensive.

I've never yet had a problem with a BMSB motor, nor have I ever had a problem with a controller or battery from them, though I have heard of problems with controllers. You can buy a lot of nice controllers for the $360 saving! That's why I use BMSB; however, I'm always looking for innovative products and better prices. The Xiongda kits are a steal!

Their customer support is very bad. I asked them many times questions but never got any answer.

Are BMSB shipping with the correct documentation and packing? Or are they trying to not disclose package contents, kinda makes it hard to compare prices with Paul if the later.

t3sla said:
Are BMSB shipping with the correct documentation and packing? Or are they trying to not disclose package contents, kinda makes it hard to compare prices with Paul if the later.

You mean like, is one shipping legally and another shipping illegally? Jason from EBK has made it clear to me that Paul is shipping batteries illegally and thus can charge less for batteries by not paying hazmat fees, etc. BMSBATTERY I'm not sure but I think they are in the same situation. So I guess it's still somewhat comparable in that regard, even if the products aren't the same.

So then after all the shipping BS I get a letter from TNT saying I owe ANOTHER $75 for import fees. Sure thought that was part of the shipping cost, eh TNT?

WTF.

markz said:
Jason27 said:
I don't understand why people still buy from BMS battery when there are better options out there.

Where are these other better options? Presumably more expensive options.

I used greenbikekit because they were able to answer my questions, while BMS gave contradictory answers or just quoted off their web site. Occasionally I would get a question answered from BMS, but it would take days of asking.

Still, after 2 years, GBK is still wiring the throttles wrong so they don't work with their controllers until you switch the wires around. Wonder how many people have gotten stumped with that one!

EM3ev is a good compromise if you need customer service and a reasonable price. If you are the kind of person that has built 20 bikes, you don't need good customer service - you know what you are doing and how to find answers (and kudos to you for being here and sharing your knowledge with us).

friendly1uk said:
Thanks chaps. Having just ordered a battery I was not looking forward to the postage hike.

So far so good. I have heard nothing in 4 weeks.

Oh dear, I have to back pedal. I thought they got my last order right, but nearing completion I find the 260rpm bpm I ordered is code 10. They sent the wrong motor.

My history with them is a $500 order mostly wrong. A $350 order with the wrong motor. A $150 order through their aliexpress shop correct. Waiting now for a $700 order. I don't think I can work with them after this. Even if they get it right, It is still only 50% of the time.

Back