I'm back! and working on a new build! your input desired.

mrgarci1

100 W
Hi all, haven't been around this forum much in, gosh, maybe 5 years. So I'm a little behind on the current best practices and recommended manufacturers - I have some reading to do. That being said, I just acquired this magnificent machine yesterday:

J2oKobp.jpg

It's a Worksman, rated for 500lbs, and I'm going to turn it into a party machine for Tour De Fat and eventually Burning Man.

This is the sound system that's going on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5AEKOI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other accoutrements TBD.

My thought for the electric assist is a 12v or 24v motor on the chain. the safest speed i feel comfortable on this thing is probably 10mph - the steering makes it feel rather dangerous. So high torque low speed is the idea. a single SLA car battery (or 2) would power the motor and also recharge the internal battery of the PA.

This is all in very early design stages. I'd like to keep the bike as "stock" as possible because I think it's beautiful and historic - don't want to mangle it. Any input on what you would do with a similar vehicle is very welcome. Glad to be back!

yuck, why a chain drive? Considering it's the type of drive thats most likely to leave you stuck when it breaks down, do you really want to be forced to pedal that bohemoth when its loaded to capacity? If it were me, I'd put a 9C 2810 motor in the rear. It's a really low wind and thus works at good efficiency at low speeds. 24V on that sucker should get you to around 10 mph.

Another option is a Bafang BPM, which wouldbe torquey but smaller and help better preserve the 'look' of the bike. It's lighter weight probably isn't an advantage to you as it is to other people. Also, the fact that it is geared means it will wear out quicker, especially with that heavy load.

Chain drives have their place. But on this build, it seems like the lack of reliability and the huge stress it will be under will just turn into compounding issues and a headache for you when it fails.

I think it would be neat to weld/bolt that death trap center pivot so that it's completely solid and put some industrial hinges or something on the wheels so the wheels pivot like a car or a tadpole trike.

I have had many a harrowing adventure on my paratoys center pivot quad, and I have come to the conclusion that center pivots are put there by manufacturers that clearly hate you.

Looks like fun to me. You will have to replace the one piece crank to add a chain drive, but a GNG with an extra reduction added to top this thing out at 10-12mph max should work. If it was mine, I would also replace the back hub with a Sturmy Archer 5 speed cargo hub with it's drum brake, then add a 24" rim so you can fit a fatter tire for better traction and better braking.

The 3 and 5 speed hubs are far stronger than the 7 and higher speed hubs. the drum brake will replace that thing's coaster brake that would become non functional with a conventional chain drive.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=41412&category=2713

Here's a thought consistent with your desire to keep the trike stock. Build a bolt on rear rack/motor mount that lets you position the motor over the rear wheel. When you build the rack/mount include a couple of idlers so you can just run a longer chain. The chain would run from the rear hub, to an idler, to the motor, to an idler, to the crank, and back to the rear hub. You will have to remove the stock chain guard, but you can retain the coaster brake.

I expect you don't plan to put a lot of miles on it, but rather use it as a parade/party rig. These were made to be used on flat factory floors, so I would be wary of using it on much of a grade.

yes...fricion drive to rear wheel or a very slow wind geared motor on the rear.

or go rad and pivot the rear wheel, weld up the front and drive the two front wheels...differential power for the steering :shock:

Meh, same chassis as the family cargo bike (bakfiets).

Pop an ezee/BPM/Mac on the back, a prepackaged battery like a bottle battery, and a 15 amp 6 fet controller. It'll haul at single speed. Take the derailleur or internal rear hub and sell/recycle it if it has one.

Samd said:
Meh, same chassis as the family cargo bike (bakfiets).

Pop an ezee/BPM/Mac on the back, a prepackaged battery like a bottle battery, and a 15 amp 6 fet controller. It'll haul at single speed. Take the derailleur or internal rear hub and sell/recycle it if it has one.

Those bottle batteries are usually really low capacity due to their size limitations, and suffer from serious voltage sag. That would be further compounded by the weight and rolling resistance of this behemoth. I think he'd be better off with some SLAs in the front since it's already going to be a heavy ride and the added weight won't matter much. Burning man means lots of sand though, right? I'd choose the rear tire carefully. You'll probably need an aggressive tread but friction drives work better with a smoother street tire. Think about it.

Back