Input requested on newbie build with Trek 820

HAROX said:
I don't mean any disrespect here, however the paths you're referring to, from Chatfield all the way downtown are multi-use, including runners, and AFAIK, all are posted 15mph. I've been using them constantly and see injuries, many from excessive speed. I remember one, a nice person with half her face ripped off. All she could say was "it all happened so fast..." Good thing she was just a block from DGH where I'm sure they stitched her up for all her $$$$$$$.
Good point, I have seen a few 15mph signs, but I was doing about 15mph on my eZip and getting passed by lots of lycras. There are some tighter sections with less visibility where I would definitely slow it down, but in the long straights with no traffic it would be fine to go 20-25mph. I've been on the other side too, so I always slow down when going around non-cyclists. I've taken walks on the trail, with my 4-year-old on his balance bike, and constantly dodged bikes and other traffic (especially on the weekends). We used to live on the High Line Canal Trail and walk our dogs on it every day, always looking over our shoulders and yelling Bike! when we spotted one behind us. I know how hard it is to hear a bike coming up behind you and give people warning.

HAROX said:
Not to completely bust y'r chops at all, however you need to know about riding the TRAIN. You have to get a card. There are tickets involved. Once you get the bicycle card to transport your bike on the train you note, "NO motorized bicycles allowed." Reason, well, start with LIPO and proceed to errant switching, etc. They don't allow any such conveyances b/c, they're dangerous on a train.
In 2007, I wrote for a variance to the powers that be, and they gave me one to use my Ebike. Yes they did! B/c I proved to them that upon loading, the battery itself was NOT anywhere on the bike. It was in a backpack. So, I had to remount it before and after every train trip, away from the property. That works fine if your rig has a removable battery.
Still, with all the inconveniences of a bicycle, 8-15 mph adds up to saving money and time. If you look at the freeway at rush hour you'll see the whole vision of an efficient bustling America going right down the tubes. Progress has fallen in on itself, anytime the whole traffic mass is below 8mph.
So be encouraged. Ebikes can help, but not as much as you would want them to in Denver, in 2012. We still have to share routes with non bikers 24/7. BTW the Bike lanes I understand to be 4X what they were in 2005, 1200 miles and counting, so go get y'r helmet and an energy bar and enjoy.
Hmm, I hadn't seen the note about no motorized bikes on the train. I've been riding the train for 5 years but I hate taking my bike on it because I have to stand and hold it the whole time. I'd rather sit and read a book. That's why I end up driving to the station, riding the train, and then riding the Bcycle at the other end. They added a Bcycle station at the 10th & Osage station now, so I can ride to there instead of Union Station and get a nice 3-mile ride in along the river. But then I get the itch to keep going down the river and skip the train (and the cost) completely.

On bad weather days it would be nice to have the option to bring my ebike on the train though. Maybe I should go back to the stealthier gear motor to avoid scrutiny and then pull the battery out of the triangle bag and stuff it in my shoulder bag before riding the train to comply with the variance you got.

If you decide on a MAC, consider the 10T version which while slower (read safer) on the flats, will have less overheating issues on the long gradual climbs you mention. For your size and weight it may last longer than an 8T which is also an excellent choice. If cellmans lead times are too long for you, the MACs are available at ebikesf.com. As you sound like a strong rider the lighter geared motors will be a strong plus and the freewheeling a better option than the DD (IMO).

A rear Mac, sandwiched between gears on one side, and brake disk on the other is pretty stealthy too, for taking it on that train.

But the idea is to stop taking the train. :mrgreen: By all means, when alone on the path haul ass. But be a gentleman when you come to the crowded part, or can't see what's ahead.

Back