Installed Pre-Charge Resistor

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Well, I guess waiting for my battery is not necessarily a bad thing - I have the time to "do thing right" and accomplish projects on the bike. I installed my Pre-Charge resistor circuit today. First, I cut the 10g positive wire from the battery lead. I then built the resistor circuit using 12g wire, crimp connectors and the resistor. I then wrapped the whole resistor unit in black tape to secure it and prevent the thin resistor wires on each end of the resistor from bending (resistor was snugged up against the crimp connector on both sides and OD of resistor is nearly the same as OD of the crimp connector so all is snug). I then joined the 10g and 12g wires into male/female 5.5mm gold bullet connectors - dipped the wires in flux and quickly found out that this mass of wire and connector wasn't going to get hot enough from my 30w soldering iron! Well, I grabbed my portable map gas torch, dialed the flame in super low and quickly heated the wires and connector to temperature. Solder flowed into the connector real well, let it cool then covered the connector/wire ends in shrink tubing.
Happy how it came out and sure this should do the trick - pic shows black wrapped resistor circuit under the main disconnect for the positive battery circuit.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 451
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 451
What you have should work fine, but for others, you don't need heavy wire for the resistor connection because there won't be hardly any load on it. I think I'm using 20awg and that's overkill.

wesnewell said:
What you have should work fine, but for others, you don't need heavy wire for the resistor connection because there won't be hardly any load on it. I think I'm using 20awg and that's overkill.
Given the size of the resistor wire; I figured that had to be the case - I just had some 12g wire laying around and figured when bent to shape would make for a more sturdy construct to hold/support the resistor assembly when the main positive lead is disconnected... Now all I need is my damn battery to see if this whole thing works!

dnmun said:
seems like it is 7 weeks since you ordered. this is slower than even i had expected.
Actually the longest I have waited for anything via the mail. Sunthing did indicate that it would be 7-8 weeks and that it should arrive end of January/early February. It shipped out of China on 12/9 so actually will be 7 weeks at end of this week...

Back