Installing a torque sensor on my Benelli e-Misano

cubicapple

10 µW
Hi all,

My Benelli e-Misano has a cadence-only PAS. I want to upgrade it to a torque sensor. The bike doesn't have a throttle, uses the Lishui LSW1010-17F controller and the Bafang C965 lcd display.

I have read through the relevant posts here and I understand that my options are the following:
  1. Non-CA:
    • plug the torque/cadence sensor to the existing controller if possible OR
    • replace the controller by the one which supports the torque sensor
  2. CA or like:
    • upgrade to CA or MPe from bikel.pl and use the existing controller if possible OR
    • replace the controller by the one which supports the throttle input
Could you please tell me, regarding these options:
  • can I plug a torque/cadence sensor (e.g. ERider T-17) into my LSW1010-17F controller? Maybe by soldering in some extra wiring?
    230224209_0_m_1180_2000.JPG
  • if yes, do I have to (or ought to) flash the open source firmware?
  • If not, any advise on which one to buy which works with torque sensors?
  • any chance my controller supports the throttle input that I could use with the CA?
  • if not, any advise on which one to buy to use with the CA (I understand it must be a 'dumb' throttle only controller)?
  • does anyone have any experience with MPe from bikel.pl? Can I use it with my exiting Bafang C965 lcd display?
Thanks!

@docw009 -- thank you indeed for pointing me out to the TSDZ2B. I will think of using it to convert another bike laying around.

Speaking of the Benelli upgrade --these $100 here and $100 there are exactly my concern, hence my questions above. Ideally, it should be just $100 for the bottom bracket TS. And, maybe, another $100 for the TS-supporting controller or CA if I can use it with my existing controller.

can I plug a torque/cadence sensor (e.g. ERider T-17) into my LSW1010-17F controller? Maybe by soldering in some extra wiring?
if yes, do I have to (or ought to) flash the open source firmware?
Yes, this will work. You have to solder the wire for the torque signal to 'SP' or 'AD1' on the PCB.
The T17 works with 5V, but I'm not sure if the 5V output of the PAS connector is sufficient for driving the torquesensor. Maybe it is safer to use the 12V from the half bridge drivers as power supply for the torquesensor.
Costs except the sensor: <10$ ;)

regards
stancecoke

Last edited:
Perfect, thank you @stancecoke! Will order the T17, give it a try and report here. But what do you mean by 'safer'? Am I right that 5V can't harm the TS and I can switch to 12V later if needed? Or better to not even try?

Am I right that I don't have to re-flash the firmware to run the TS, but if I do it will give me additional possibilities to customize the controller behaviour?

Another question is about the T17's axle length -- it's 150mm minimum whereas mine is currently about 130 mm. Will it change the chainline? Or the chainring spider will compensate it?

Am I right that I don't have to re-flash the firmware to run the TS
sure you have to flash the EBiCS firmware. The original firmware will not support the torquesensor mode.

Am I right that 5V can't harm the TS
no, but the sensor might draw too much current and the 5V rail will drop voltage too much. The the whole system will get unstable. We had issues with additional power consumers on the 5V supply.

regards
stancecoke

Good day -- now I finally have my ERirder T17 arrived! About to do the re-flashing of the controller with the EBiCS firmware. @stancecoke could you please point me out to the up-to-date procedure? The readme on github is still talking about using an STLink -- but if I understand correctly the right way to do the re-flashing is via the display connector is it? Also, my controller is about 10 years old -- any chance is has a bootloader that supports it? Thanks!

Back