INTENSE Tracer 275 with Tangent Ascent

DH X-Horizon rear derraileur med cage, X9 10speed shifter.
11-36 SRAM 1070 cassette, 38t RaceFace ring.
Motor ratio is 18t-32t
I prefer SRAMs feel, the solid click into each gear is more confident to me....all preference really.
The cables seem to hold their tune longer than Shimano for me, Shimano is more sensitive.

Throttle is way better than a Bafang, no comparison.

Considering moving to a 34-36t ring receiving motor power, to lower cadence and increase torque...not that it needs more. :lol:

Thanks for the info, truly helpful. I'm worried I may have too much low end now. We'll wait and see.

Lowering the cadence from the motor to the cranks is good for making your input more real/useful. But it will mean you will be running in smaller cogs in the back, causing more drivetrain strain/wear. That is why I would prefer a double freewheel on the motor to separate the cranks-to-motor ratio from the motor-to-gears ratio.

http://harriscyclery.net/product/white-industries-dos-eno-16-18-tooth-double-freewheel-1554.htm

Unfortunately the motor-to-gears chainline would not work on your soft-tail.

Good points, part of my considerations.
On that ride in the video, I never got into the smallest five cogs, all my time was in the largest five cogs.
On an average trail ride, I would like to use more of the range...saving the very largest and smallest cogs for minimal use.
Cogs number 3-8 have a better chainline, and I like to stay in that range...maintenance is no issue to me personally.

This is all new to me, I have pedaled for every bit of speed till now.

I will be trying to tune the drive much like I tune my suspension for differing trails.
With suspension the goal is to hit full bottom once or twice on the track you are tuning for.
Dialing in springrates, compression settings,rebound settings, oil viscosities...I'm love this stuff.
That way it is supple as possible and only needs full travel for the worst moment on the particular track.

With gearing I try the same...to find a ratio that I use all of the gears, spreading the wear amongst all the cogs.
On my DH bike, I use Ultegra 11-24 cassettes, because I am never climbing, and need that perfect gear to power ahead at speed.

I'm thinking for future replacements, I may go to a 12-32 cassette for better applicable range...
...or a 6 cog custom cassette with bigger gaps, by taking out every other cog...
...I tended to double shift due to the wide power band of the motor.

Warren said:
Lowering the cadence from the motor to the cranks is good for making your input more real/useful. But it will mean you will be running in smaller cogs in the back, causing more drivetrain strain/wear. That is why I would prefer a double freewheel on the motor to separate the cranks-to-motor ratio from the motor-to-gears ratio.

http://harriscyclery.net/product/white-industries-dos-eno-16-18-tooth-double-freewheel-1554.htm

Unfortunately the motor-to-gears chainline would not work on your soft-tail.

I'm lost. How would one do what you're speaking of? Got a diagram or something?

It looks bangin Leebo! Not bad for noise either imo. If you haven't dirtbiked much it's probably gonna be a completely new experience, cuz that's basically the capability of that bike now :D I've always loved both pedaling gravity and dirbiking, but a powerful ebike is better than either in so many ways.

_____? We don't need no stinkin _____!
(fill in with 'trails' 'gravity' . . . or both)

Have fun, be safe! :D

Leebolectric said:
Good points, part of my considerations.
On that ride in the video, I never got into the smallest five cogs, all my time was in the largest five cogs.
On an average trail ride, I would like to use more of the range...saving the very largest and smallest cogs for minimal use.
Cogs number 3-8 have a better chainline, and I like to stay in that range...maintenance is no issue to me personally.

Allow me to nerd out here, because gearing is my thing, and all you need is a 32T narrow wide.

38T Ring 1-1.06, 2-1.19, 3-1.36, 4-1.58, 5-1.81
32T Ring 1-0.89, 2-1.00, 3-1.14, 4-1.33, 5-1.52, 6-1.68, 7-1.9, 8-2.1 9-2.46, 10-2.91

This would put the 5 gears you use most right in the middle of your gear range, plus give you 2 more slighly lower gears. Your theoretical top speed would drop from 40 MPH to 33.75 MPH

Thanks man, part of the reason Im going with a 32T on mine is because a 38T front X 11T rear X 30" Fat bike tire = 46MPH, and on a fat bike thats death.

The other option being, just slap a 42t wolftooth on, you still have the .90 granny, but you can keep the top speed, and dont need to change the front ring, also its gonna shift all your low gears down a cog until 7th gear.

@Leebolectric could you do a video on asphalt using the faster half of the cassette at 0 to 20-ish MPH? I'd really appreciate it if I can get an idea of the sound in that range, before pulling the trigger. If you can't or just lazy - that's OK. :)

Thanks.

Leebolectric, hey buddy noticed your post over in a NYX thread. Looks like we are in the same town. Nice 1st project. Would love to check out the bike in person some time and hit the trails.

Now that you have had the bike setup for a while what are your thoughts? I'm thinking of switching to either a downhill bike setup, or something in the all mountain to park bike range. I think I might be able to fit the Ascent inside the frame triangle of a Large sized Giant Glory. The main thing I'm unsure of is whether I want an AM bike with less weight, or 8" of downhill bike squish. Last year everything was mainly aluminum, with a big price jump for Carbon, and this year it seems like almost everything but the bottom level bike is carbon. I really wanted a Santa Cruz Bronson, and now they are only available in carbon. I doubt carbon will hold up to me and a tangent.

I love it, just want beefier tires.
I will be building out my Intense 951 also, so will get back in about a month with opinions.
Generally, I prefer lightweight for whipping and flicking the bike around, full downhill bikes handle sluggish.
The new frames are all carbon and 27.5 wheels....and people arent cool if they still ride 26 wheels.
So 26 wheeled bikes are CHEAP on ebay right now...should be options out there.

The Tangent Ascent is set to 60A, you could set it higher potentially. I've been tossing around the idea of doing a custom pack, but I have a soldering iron, and a heat gun, and a multimeter, I would need a spot welder, nickel strips, heat shrink tubing, etc.. Add to that I havent found any BMS's that will do more than 50A continuous.

Take a look at this BMS, 150 A continuous battery Amp .
http://www.batterysupports.com/48v-546v-13s-150a-13x36v-lithium-ion-lipolymer-battery-bms-pcb-p-397.html

Back