• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Interesting trailer

Yea I saw a couple kids riding around our fallfest earlier this month on something similar. Took me a sec to realize " hey that's not a tandem"

I'd put two thinner storage boxes on the sides to lower the high balance of weight. I had a similar idea a while back to make a push trailer out of a 20" BMX (never did it). The BB would be a jackshaft with a TNC motor driving a left-side toothed belt to the BB. I think it would work fine for a trailer or a pusher...

laurie-madefortwo.jpg

It might work if you didn't deviate from a straight line much. Imagine backing the trailer up until its at a 90 degree angle from the bike. Before you get to 90, the forks of the trailer will be horizontal and the trailer will be laid down flat.

I'd love to see a video of that setup in action. :wink:

If you look at the pivot angle on bob trailers you'll find most of them pointed slightly forward at the top. This results in the trailer tilting in the same direction as the tow vehicle during a turn. If your center of gravity is below the axis of rotation of the bob trailer, it will cause the trailer weight to want to twist the tow vehicle to a vertical position.

Also think about what happens on a steep angle driveway or speedbump. You would need some type of provision for the rear bike fork to pivot from the front bike's swing arm. If not, it will eventually come loose.

Back