Votes: 47 43.5%
  • Yes - But I don't have an iPhone

Votes: 27 25.0%
  • Yes - And I'd pay for it

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • No - Waste of time

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
so, completely change the RS232 interface to Canbus? Thats a lot of work and cost. Those wifi to OBD readers aren't cheap either, at least $150 last time I checked, at least for one that works.

sounds like a lot more trouble, especially when Android devices can be programmed to work with either WIFI to serial converters or Bluetooth to serial converters.

Why even bother with a locked down firmware and locked down software crippled platform? (iphone)

Go android. Solves 90% of the problems straight away, and enables compatibility with a larger number of phones, and hundreds more types of phones.

After running android for 6 months, I have to say the OS of the iphone is a lot smoother and bug free. That is reason enough for me to switch back. Plus the audio quality on the iphone is so much better. Even the external speaker is worlds above any other phone I have used.

Now for a device that would just be for interfacing with the CA, the android probably does win hands down. But then I would be carrying my little android and my phone.

Android has more market share, and the obviously superior platform. The iPhone platform is only less buggy if you have an inferior android device. Why bother with apple's app-store and jumping through their hoops?

Steve Jobs hates ebikes, its a fact, email him... :lol:

johnrobholmes said:
After running android for 6 months, I have to say the OS of the iphone is a lot smoother and bug free. That is reason enough for me to switch back. Plus the audio quality on the iphone is so much better. Even the external speaker is worlds above any other phone I have used.

Now for a device that would just be for interfacing with the CA, the android probably does win hands down. But then I would be carrying my little android and my phone.

Bro- The whole point of android is that nobody has you locked into software you don't like.

Mfg's take Android, which is pure and perfect and smooth and a pleasure to use in all respects, and they cobble together some skin to fit over the top of it so their phone looks different. Motorola uses this awful contraption called "Moto-blur". HTC uses "Sense", and others use various other absurdly stupid skins they pollute android with.

BUT! None of this matters, because in 5minutes, you root the phone, format that crap off, and load your favorite flavor of OS. Pure vanilla Android is fantastic. CyanogenMod makes some outstanding tweaked versions that offer way above OEM level reliability/smoothness/performance etc. Along with litterally THOUSANDS of other versions and roms and kernals of Android tweaked for various specific uses. Want super battery life? No problem, get a de-clocking, de-featuring rom. Want to use the phone off-network as a GPS tracker or something? Get a rom that lets you shut down the com radio etc. Want fastest performance, get a rom that overclocks the CPU (my phone runs at 1.16Ghz). Want a ROM suited for smoothest HD video playback through the HDMI port? Get a media-player optimized ROM (and a phone with an HDMI port, like my EVO and DroidX phones).

With apple you have apples idea of how your phone should be. With android, in minutes, you can flash to anything you want to tailor your phone to operate exactly how you want for your needs. Planning on going camping or hiking whatever? Spend 5 minutes to flash to the right kernel for your needs (maybe GPS logger with no WiFi/radio power and a under-clocked CPU with minimum background services?). Plan on giving a presentation from your phone on a projector or HDTV, flash to a media player specialized ROM so calls/texts wont interrupt etc.

There is simply no excuse to not like anything about your androids software. They come from the retailer with a ROM that is always like they took android and scooped a big steamy pile of feces over the top of it. Change that sh*t out to something worthwhile before you even get home from buying the phone. Ryan just got a new Samsung Epic, we had it rooted and hacked and running perfectly with no BS ads and marking firmware apps and stupid sh*t before we even went home. lol

Howdy all,

It's been a while since I've checked in on iOS / CA / eBike Front to see what was not just possible in theory but in practice, spurred by a recent email request from someone for a status update of the project... I decided to do a bit more looking into this.

Don't get too excited at this next bit:

I have a working Arduino Based WIFI connected Webserver which provides the iPhone with a dynamically updated dash board and in the future will allow tuning directly (porting my "mid" controller" from the iPhone associated with the eBike (no support for multiple binding yet...

Wifi seems most reliable, uses less power (combined with Edge as opposed to 3G or 4G which burn power.

My interface isn't anything fancy and I don't want to release it but if there is enough interest, I would make it available either through the iTunes Store or Cydia within a few weeks time.

I don't want anyone to mis-understand, this is not my "mid processor" I'm offering but rather just the portion which takes the cycle analyst TTL level serial output and displays it on an iPhone (even stock without Jailbreak) by use of Wifi add on board I slightly redesigned for lower power consumption.... this provides you the "core" and as of now is exposed as a "Web Service" for those who know what I mean, for those who don't - just suffice it to say it allows access to the data from the CA to any Web Service Consumer or Client (most oo languages support Web Services and Clients with native objects, coding up in TCP is little more than coding HTTP request / resopnse.

While I am busy and as such can't promise a delivery date for an initial beta release (betas will be free until v 1.0, initial buyers will get it for 1.99 then within 30 days it will raise to 4.99 for a lifetime of updates plus core purchase of the verion currently offered.

Once the price goes to 4.99 each licensed copy (one per phone && || eBike, ie... 2 eBikes 1 iPhone requires 2 licenses) will share 30% of the net profits in form of donations to Justin Le (and or any not for profit community based organization, ie a legal entity) to help with the cost of running and maintaining a site / forum so large.

I will read through back posts to see what people want but for Release 0.1.0.XA don't expect miracles or even really much more than a display of console style data coming from the CA (if connected correctly)... not sure if the new CAs have the same TTL level serial output, would be nice if Justin could add a method for serial input of parameters and then a forced reload so that other items could have crack at the food chain of "messages" going around.

Obviously.... A permanent mileage record, ah used if possible, efficiency rate to date, since last charge, average speed, maximum speed, direction of travel, speed current, motor RPM

Any other registered iPhone application developers out there with XCode 4.0.2 SDK willing to target 4.3.3 and share parts of this project (my UI design skill in MacOS is lacking but my backend coding is fine)?? - You would have to be willing to do 50% of the coding to receive 33% of the net profits, the remaining 33% would be for my time... were not talking gold mine here, I don't think but thats how I am going to judge if we should move forward or issue refunds to people who purchase alpha version.

Now if I could just find a Schwinn Stingray Lightning (20"x4.5" Red Alloy Rim) Stock Rear somewhere, I'd ahve the perfect platform for testing my new Nuvinci when it comes.

Regards,
Mike

Sounds great Mike. So will you be providing the Arduino+WiFi hardware as well? How much? Or will people have to piece this together themselves? If so can you share the details on what WiFi module to use.

Since the Arduino+WiFi hardware is likely to run $50-60 minimum, I don't think people will be too worried about $5 for the app.

- Adrian

Right now I'm using various shields - the Wifi Shields are in a box not close enough to reach but when I get somthing more Alpha release ready (for coders and testers only) I will open a google code project for it (or sourceforge, can't ever decide) or maybe just host on my own private server CVS server (or whatever I'm running these days on there).

The components though in designed PCB specific for this application will cost less than she shields I believe, 802.11b/g radios with TTL level serial input and control (TCP or UDP) as well as uart level response gives network IO which is then treated as standard IO....

For logging throw in an SDIO bridge IC and port for 5.00

I found a compatible Wifi Radio (not high power but it's only 2 meters distance at best) 2.4 ghz wireless B/G which goes for about 19.00 each in bulk and comes as basically a daughter assembly with pigtail for various antenna options...

I could be wrong but I think given the SDIO card for logging storage memory doesn't matter... only a single uart is needed to do the network IO and interface with the SDIO IC via i2c... that would mean ATMEGA328-AU is a fine choice at 3.83 in single lots from digikey (hint cheaper anywhere else)...

Custom PCB to house all this and likely a switching power supply for the regulation off the pack and while were at it a 5v charging port for the iPhone - 9.00

These are rough guestimates but probably close, so a total cost of: 37.00 USD to build the module...

This is why I actually favor using a lower end Linksys Mini Router for this - with compatible DD-WRT it should be possible to have the AP act as a client AP to open networks giving your iPhone moments of Broadband from the free wifi as you drive about, at the same time it can act as an Infrastructure AP with security between itself and the iPhone, can collect data via RS232 uart (5v so TTL really but it's there on most) and MB of memory and program storage and scripting languages like perl, php, etc. The end cost would be about the same but I plan to do a custom PCB when it's done and house it in a box simialr to GGoodrums balancer Booster for the Battery Medic.

Regards,
Mike

Way over my head Mike, but glad to hear you are still thinking about this project! I would love to have something on my ipod touch to collect data from my CA or whatever device.

sorry I didn't read all 66 posts, so maybe this has been discussed already.....but android for me please.

maybe Java is the way to go for easy porting?

Looks like someone has already made an ANT+ ebike dash using the iphone.

Check out the article at the bottom of this page:
ANT+ and a smartphone 'e-bike dashboard':
http://www.electricbikemag.co.uk/showStory.php?storynum=91

Back