Is My Regen Working?

geeeyejo1

1 kW
I noticed a few mornings that before I plug in my battery (when pedaling from my car to the train about 50 yards away) that my wattmeter powers up and beeps like when the battery is plugged in. Is this regen from the motor?

geeeyejo1 said:
I noticed a few mornings that before I plug in my battery (when pedaling from my car to the train about 50 yards away) that my wattmeter powers up and beeps like when the battery is plugged in. Is this regen from the motor?
Sounds like it is getting voltage from somewhere...

Does it happen when you pull your break levers?

Also, refresh us on your final wiring scheme/setup for you meter.

:D

Regn is usually controlled by the brake switches, which cut output to the motor and starts the motor in generator mode. The other way is it's controlled by the throttle, which it engages any time you release the throttle. AFAIK, none of the yescomusa kits come with regen even enabled. Easy enough to check when riding. Release your throttle at 20-30mph and if the bike starts braking and voltage goes up then you have the second type. If nothing happens, then slightly pull the brake handles just enough to engage the switch in the brake handle, but not the actual brakes. If you have that type then the bike starts braking and voltage will go up.

Even without significant regen enabled, your moving wheel is still putting some energy into the controller, which your wattmeter is detecting.

Nothing to worry about. Some of my controllers have led's in them indicating on off or problem codes. They light up if you ride with a battery unplugged.

If you were getting significant regen, hoo boy you'd know it when you pedaled with the motor off!!! It would feel like turning a motor with shorted phase wires. You can similate this easy. Unplug the motor from the controller on the phase wires. Then short two of the wires to the motor to each other with something, like a scrap of wire. The motor will be incredibly hard to turn. MOTOR SIDE WIRES. Don't short the controller side!!!

Unplug the controller, and short your phases, and it's going to make it a tough pedal away for a theif. Not likely the tweaker will know the trick yet.

dogman said:
Even without significant regen enabled, your moving wheel is still putting some energy into the controller, which your wattmeter is detecting.
I believe this to be the case - although I can feel some slight drag from the motor, there is nothing that would equate to any significant braking. How does one enable the Regen feature on this controller? Would be nice to have the assist from the rear wheel when slowing down from 30mph!

On the controller I got with mine (an EB215) it was simply a matter of adding a jumper from ground to BK pad inside controller. I have no idea what controller they are using these days. Open it up and take some high quality pictures of both sides and post them and someone might know it or can make some suggestions to test. Might as well find Cruise control and other features you might want while testing. I think most controllers have these features but just aren't enabled as default.

Back