Is Pusher Trailer hitch Regen Safe?

Lemlux

100 W
Would a BOB trailer hitch attached to either a motorized BOB or a motorized bike frame pusher with a 24" hub motor have any performance or stress issues with regen? I would think that the pull on the BOB NUTZ would be less stressful to the bike's rear dropout area than a regen rear bike wheel would be.

Would any other commercially dual mount single wheel hitch handle regen stresses better than the BOB yoke (BOB calls it a fork)?

At the very least I would think that regen in the trailer would reduce, if not eliminate, any fishtailing issues while braking.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about using regen or plug brakes on a BOB trailer. I have experience with several BOB pushers, and even had plug brakes on one for a while. The worst case scenario would be if the wheel locked up. The lock up would only be momentary, since when the wheel quits turning no electricity would be produced, but the cycle could repeat over and over. Anyway, if the braking action is that strong you would want to adjust the resistance.

So my advice is to test it with an unloaded trailer, and if the wheel slides, adjust it. Then when the trailer has a heavy load, it won't be able to put additional strain on the hitch.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. :D

Back