Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Totally legal.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Legal-ish. (pls explain)

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I have a sticker.

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
Sticker on mine says 600W so I has to be legal specially if I keep it at the legal 20MPH limit? I usually keep the speed down so the batts last long enough to get me the 20+ miles there and back. I hate pedaling a 55 LB bike home. So like is there difference between I have a sticker and totaly illegal? Mighty fine line it is? ;^)

Don't forget the 40MPH club stickers I'm sure we can explain them as they are being red by the men in blue.

liveforphysics said:
The law says nothing about what you put into your motor.

It says the motor can't be "rated" for more than 750w continuous output.

Even if you pump 40kw bursts into your motor (as my plasma dicks motor got served), it doesn't change what the continuous rated power is for the motor in any way.

Totally legal then!

Wattage: the peak W is 10x the legal limit of nominal W allowed
Battery Voltage: only 8V above the legal limit.
Max speed: only 2x the max limit
My personal feeling: 20x too weak for my taste :mrgreen:

conclusion: change the law!

In Ontario the laws are thus:
Less then 120 Kg (265 lb)
Less then 500w output power.
No greater then 32 km/h (20mph)

Weight isn't a problem in my opinion.
But output power and top speed are annoying, I can do that speed without power assist (for short distances that is). I average about 18km/h over 40km.

Anything other that and it's legally a "limited speed motorcycle" and needs to me insured, registered and have a valid LSM licence plate.
Also the driver needs an m (motorcycle) license.

Also max speed of an lsm is 70km/h (43mph) after that it's considered a full motorcycle, electric or not.

mine has been illegal since it was 1 hour old...lol
and speaking of legal check out a law dicionary for driver...means hauling passengers or cargo for a fee in commerce
we are traveling unless it can be shown were we lost specifically lost our right to travel then it still exists
no lisence,no regestration=no contract or joinder as the cops like to say...so don't contract and enjoy traveling

Mine is legal till i get a good straight away lol

nope,i see wasp is up on his maritime admiralty laws.excellent.

My bikes will all do 50mph or better, and they are 100% legal as bicycles. Actually I enjoy one added legal benefit that bicycles don't...since mine are motorized and can maintain > 40kph they are ok to take on the few highways where bicycles are prohibited. You better believe that I'm lovin the ebike freedom I enjoy. :mrgreen:

Kevo, that's what the dumb-ass minister of Transport spots instead of actually writing an ebike law in N.B. Canada
http://ebikesoutride.com/LazyMLAs/emailbikes.html

Back