Issue w/ sensorless WE hub "pulsing"/ "locking" under power

mrgarci1

100 W
Hi all, it's been a while since I've been around (mostly because my ebike has been running like a champ for the last year) but now I have a problem and I'm hoping to get some suggestions on possible causes/solutions.

Kit details: WE BL36 sensorless motor, Headway 36v20ah, all WE stock components (controller/throttle)

So a week or so ago, I had just gotten off my bike at home after a normal ride home and decided to go to the mailbox. Turned around and hit the throttle, and the front wheel did this awful shuddering thing - it reminded me of what I've read about broken hall sensors/sensor wires, but my hub is sensorless.

It felt/sounded like some of the magnetic pulses inside the motor were mistimed or misdirected - it seems like it wanted to lock the wheel, or shake it back and forth, even if i was rolling forwards. I put the bike inside and went to ride it to work the next day, no issue. Yesterday, after riding it for another week, it did the shudder at speed, which scared the piss out of me, so I haven't ridden it since. Any ideas on what would cause this behavior? Thanks fellas.

Check your wiring to the motor very carefully it could be an intermittent phase wire diconnection, or it could be low voltage.

Welp thanks for the suggestions so far. It's def not a voltage issue - this AM I took a quick ride and noticed the problem, Vm never dropped below 37.7v

As far as I understand it, it couldn't be a phase wire because I don't have Hall sensors on the motor - please let me know if there are other phase wires I should check.

I'm thinking it could be a throttle issue, but at this point I'm leaning more towards the controller being faulty (which would make sense, it's a WE & I've been riding it literally every day for almost 2 years). I've read some things about MOSFETs causing this type of issue, but I feel like that would only have an impact under heavy load or extended rides - this problem happens at any speed, really unpredictably, and doesn't seem sensitive to vibration or anything like that.

So in short, I'm still pretty confused lol

You'll never guess the source of my problem :oops:

as I was taking the front wheel off, expecting to find a short which had messed up my controller, I unwrapped the electrical tape holding the power cable to the fork to find that the connector had come loose. plugged it back in and she runs better than ever. Lesson learned!

Thanks for the help fellas, chalk this one up to "nut loose behind the keyboard".

Heh Heh, Only had the similar thing happen to me about 10 times. I shoulda said check ALL connections. Weak connection from battery to controller resulted in the same thing as low voltage. Not enough watts going into the motor.

For future reference, the phase wires are the main three power wires to the motor. If I'd said check the power wires, ( meaning from controller to hub) youda misunderstood and checked the wire from battery to controller sooner. :lol:

Glad to hear you sorted it out.

Back