• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Just got my bike.

Iron Yeti

100 W
Most of it was already assembled expect for the handlebars, front wheel, and seat. I called up my local bike shop to ask how much it'd cost for them to look at it and make sure I assembled everything ok and they wanted $54.99. frock that noise. I'd rather fiddle with it for a few days before I shell out that much money.

Seat, rear and front tire are quick release. I have the front disc calipers and the disc mounted but whenever I spin the wheel it scrapes against the disc brake hub. Any links or articles on how to properly install the disc brakes/trim the brake cables and such?

I know with some of our old race motorcycles we would play with the shims (washers) on the brake caliper to get them to line up with the brake rotor perfectly. I also had to do that with the brakes on the pocket bike. Look to see which side is rubbing, and space it in that direction.

Ok. The disc brake hub was grinding against the calipers while I rode so I brought it back here to mess with it. I have been fiddling with the bike all day. Figured out how to adjust the brake calipers. The bolts on them slide about a 1mm either way to allow the brake rotar hub to clear the brake pads. I played with those for about an hour and then called it good enough. The disc brake rotar hub thing still rubs the brake pad a teensy bit after I brake for a few seconds but that'll wear down soon enough.

I tightened the quick release seat thingy so I don't sink on the seat. I adjusted the front suspension so I don't endo when I hit a pothole, they provide me with a nice smooth ride. I had 45 PSI in each tire but I decide to drop them down to 30 PSI because I weigh 170lbs and the ride was too stiff. I also went over the entire bike and made sure everything was nice and tight (Found a few loose hex bolts on the headset, frocking lazy asses...)

I left that little spring on the quick release of the front wheel for shits and giggles. And uh, that's it. The front brakes feel kinda funny, and the brake handle on my left handlebar sticks a little bit.

Going to see my brother tomorrow and he will surely be able to iron out the kinks and make sure I assembled the bike correctly

Other than that I plan to replace the front and rear quick release skewers with pitlock bolts/skewers, the aheadset with a pitlock, my disc brake mounts with pitlock screws, and my seatpost quick release with a pitlock. Then I am going to buy a Kryptonite NY U-Lock, and a cable lock (Any suggestions?). After that I need a cargo rack, and some other knick knacks.

The bike is so much fun to ride. I haven't owned a bike since I was 12 or 13 (21 next month). Ii rides really smooth, feels really sturdy too.

Iron Yeti said:
I had 45 PSI in each tire but I decide to drop them down to 30 PSI because I weigh 170lbs and the ride was too stiff.

Which you'll immediately pump back up to 45 minimum once all the ecrap is installed. :lol: I'm at 55psi and 250-260lbs total all up weight and I still think it's a mushy ride. :wink:

Hm, so I should go back up to 45 PSI. Okay.

I also need to buy a kickstand. The bike didn't come with one and it's leaning against my wall. So I need a helmet, a kickstand, and 2 locks, a patch kit a pump and an emergency toolkit. For now I guess. Then I want to get a seatpost rack, and some pitlock bolts.

I decided since I am building my e-bike in stages that this will allow me to purchase better components since the price will be easy to offset with a few months in between.

My next purchase will be an X-504, a 30A controller, a throttle, and cycle analyst. Probably by next spring I will be able to afford some batteries.

Iron Yeti said:
Hm, so I should go back up to 45 PSI. Okay.

I also need to buy a kickstand. The bike didn't come with one and it's leaning against my wall. So I need a helmet, a kickstand, and 2 locks, a patch kit a pump and an emergency toolkit. For now I guess. Then I want to get a seatpost rack, and some pitlock bolts. . .

Running tires at too low pressure can cause "pinch flats" when hitting a sharp bump. The rim puts two holes in the tube like a snake bite.

You can save money on the Pitlock bolts by simply squeezing some silicone caulk into the hex recesses of the allen bolts. Dig it out with a sharp implement if you need to adjust anything. Otherwise it's enough to stop an opportunistic scum bag who'd steal your saddle or whatever else they can grab.

Ok, I am about to order some things I need for my bike. I need your opinions, preferably before I leave for San Diego in 4 hrs. I need to know what portable air pump to buy. I was up late last night reading reviews but I can't decide which one to use. What air pump do you guys recommend? I was thinking of going with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pump-Innovations-CO2-Ultraflate-Plus/dp/B000AO9TOY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215582335&sr=1-6

One cartridge will fill a mountain bike tire up to 40PSI. So I'd keep 4 cartridges on me if I were to buy one. Should I go with a CO2 air pump? Or a standard pump? Or do they have any combos you guys recommend?

Also, I need a non-full face bike helmet. For now I don't need a full face. So I need a cheap standard bike helmet. Any suggestions?

Here is the stuff I plan to buy.
Kryptonite NY U-Lock
http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-York-Fahgettaboudit-Bike-U-Lock/dp/B000OZ9VLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1214886800&sr=1-2
Kryptonite NY Chain Lock
http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-New-York-Fahgettaboudit-Chain/dp/B000LPEXBQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215580958&sr=1-2
Topeak Alien II Multi tool
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Alien-26-Function-Bicycle-Tool/dp/B000FIE4AE/ref=pd_sim_sg_3
Patch Kit
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Vulcanizing-Patch-Kit/dp/B000JF2ZB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215632330&sr=1-1
Topeak Seatwedge pack.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000ZKAU14/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3SNLLVFZ6ABAC&v=glance

Screw CO2. It's wasteful because you can't recharge the tubes. It also bleeds through the tube walls faster than plain ol' air. It's real expensive when you blow three cartridges just trying to get it set right on the valve and you have to call a taxi for a ride home. The better kind of CO2 inflator takes the threaded cartridges. They're harder to find in an emergency. IMO, a waste of money especially with low pressure, high volume tires. Sure, if you're a skinny roadie or ti-geek you might carry one to impress your friends. . . .and then someday end up borrowing one of their pumps.

Get a floor pump for home. Cheap ones work fine for the pressure in fat tires. Check your tire pressure before every ride by putting your weight down on the handlebar and then the saddle. Note the sidewall deflection and how it compares to a fully inflated tire. It's normal for tires to require topping up ~weekly.

On the road most people recommend the Topeak "Mountain Morph" for high volume tires. It works like a floor pump. Most mini-pumps are a PITA for large volume tires.

I have one of those little pumps you step on. It's great. Very easy to use. Easier than any upright pump I've used, and FAR easier than any hand pump. Got it from Wal-Mart.

Thanks, got the pump. Now, how about a helmet? Recommendations? Also I remember that I need a kickstand, will any old kickstand do?

Get a kickstand like Toshis. The kind that holds up the whole bike instead of just propping it up. I'm getting one myself, since the one I already have is useless with the battery pack on the bike.

I was looking at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Kickstand-Black-Cruiser-Lowrider/dp/B000RH0MFE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215637084&sr=8-5

But I'm not sure how it'd mount to my bike. :|

I have no kickstand mounting plate on my bike, actually. I am going to take a few pictures so I can get the right kickstand.

Zoot Katz said:
Screw CO2.

If I had screwed CO2 I would have had a 2-3hr hike out to civilization on Monday afternoon when I got my 2nd flat. Took 2 12g cartridges to get to 38-40psi, which was enough to get me home. They carts are $2/piece and weigh nothing.

Just saying...

Screw $4 to fill up my tire. I'd rather do it with a hand pump. Mini, no less. :?

Link said:
Screw $4 to fill up my tire. I'd rather do it with a hand pump. Mini, no less. :?

Sure... different strokes for different folks is all. When you're in the middle of the wilderness and being chomped my 100s of potentially West Nile carrying mosquitos and wondering if a grizzly bear, angry moose or elk mom is going to come smack you around inflating your tire in 15 seconds starts to sound worth much more than $4. :mrgreen:

Ok, here is the bottom of my bike where I think the mount should be. What type of hardware/kickstand do I need?

Iron Yeti said:
Ok, here is the bottom of my bike where I think the mount should be. What type of hardware/kickstand do I need?

The thing about buying on line is that you don't know it won't work until you get it. At a bicycle shop they'd know right away.
Most kickstand mounts are fairly universal. There's the bottom piece and the top saddle piece. They bolt together through the space behind the bottom-bracket shell. Some bikes have a plate welded there.
Be careful to not crush the chain stays when tightening the bolt. Keep the bolt tight. Check it regularly

The cheapie kickstands that come on wallbikes often don't work with a big battery pack. I have one on the frame by the crank and another that goes on the rear hub bolt. The rear one works best, but two is really great for me so far. I've had alloy ones just snap on me. Surely they are pretty cheap on ebay, or wallmart. I just get mine off garage sale bikes.

Back