• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

kelly controller 72201 for 5305 max amps?@72v

northstar

100 µW
I am new to this forum and have been doing much ev research. I am working on a heavy hauling trike that I intend to power by human power and 5305 front hub motor with disk brake. My planed traction pack will be 55Ah@72v nom. w/ AGM's. I am building it to have long range-duration capability, as well as, power for pulling load(1000 lbs. gvw) up fairly steep but short distance grades. I also would like to be able to reach flat road speed of at least 35 to 40 mph sometimes, although most use will be at low speed(under 25 mph) and mostly flat. I have looked into controllers: crystalyte 48a@72v,clyte,ecrazy man but think the power requirment may over stress all of these, even with standard mods. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to adapt a kelly 72201 to the 5305, and if yes, then how? I've read volt-amp combo as high as 100v and 125amps working with this motor. The 72201 is 120a cont. 200a max. /w regen. and is made for perm. mag. motors. Many thanks for any help with my design. Weight of unit 185lbs, pack 231lbs, controller,charger,wiring and 12v batt.~50lbs, + payload up to 600lbs. I plan to pedal most of the time and I am gearing with this in mind. I'm 6'6" and will be turning 210mm cranks. I am a strong rider and hope to offset consumption during low demand periods but realize my input percentage is low during the high power operation. I also intend to use in cold weather, under freezing. I have not seen any other craft like this, so all help is great... Thanks all...

pretty sure that the KBL72201 will work just fine with the 5305. from all reports Kelly tech support is very helpfull. email them and ask them for their recomendations.

the nice thing about the Kelly controller is that it can be programmed will all kinds of limits to keep the motor within a safe operating area.

having some experience with front wheel drive on trikes, you may be overlooking a big problem with trikes. on most conventional delta trikes the front wheel is very lightly loaded. with you, the passenger, the huge battery bank, the trailer weight all concentrated on the rear you may not have enough weight on the front tire for any useful traction at all. especially when the weight is transfered farther to the rear when going uphill.

could be a case of no matter how much power you have in that front wheel, it won't do you any good if all that it does is spin the tire. but that can be compensated for in a custom designed/built trike where the weight concentration is moved forward.

i also have some experience using AGM's at sub zero temperatures. in a word they suck once the mercury drops anywhere near freezing. they really, really suck below freezing.

consider using either NiCad or LiFePO4 for cold weather use. at low temperatures they also suffer decreased performance, but not nearly as bad as AGM.

rick

Hi Northstar,
I am also building a delta trike. My goal is for 35mph on level ground and 20mph up a 10% grade with a total weight of 400lbs. I have been testing a Crystalyte 404/408 hub motor in a 20 inch front wheel at 72 volts with the Crystalyte 72 volt 20 amp two speed controller. I have been having controller failures. I may have to go to the 5 series hub motor with a higher capacity controller instead of the 4 series hub motor. Keep me posted on your recomendations.
Thanks
Don Gerhardt

Back