Kelly KBS controller variable regen setup issues

brumbrum

100 kW
Here's the issue..
I can get regen when releasing throttle i.e regen kicks in automatically on closed throttle. This is not ideal for me, but at least it shows regen is working.

I have wired in a thumb throttle via a cable connected to 5v, ground and analogue brake signal wire on controller but got no regen/braking after playing with settings. I have also checked that there is voltage on the wiring.

I have also tried soldering on a SS49E hall sensor to the wires and checked for voltage changes with a magnet placed by it and all signals are correct i.e on the signal wire it goes from 0.85v upto about 3.8v depending on magnet position.... But i still could not get any regen/braking.

I have a hall throttle set up in the kelly user software as 0-5v and all works ok. And i have tried the same setting for the regen.

Here is an image of the setup page from Kellys website(not my own settings) with the written instructions i've tried to follow.
Instruction no.5 does say that a brake switch needs to be on to be able to vary the signal. Is this implying that i need to have an on/off switch to make the hall signal work? Sounds like a very bad way to brake.
x7q6v.jpg

Any help appreciated

From what i know the brake switch needs to be installed as well.
With the variable throttle only it does not work.
Than it goes like this:

You press the brake switch and regen will kick in by the set percentage of "Regen current by brake switch on".
Than while holding the push button you can increase the brake force with the second throttle up to the limit you have set in "Max Regen Current

madin88 said:
From what i know the brake switch needs to be installed as well.
With the variable throttle only it does not work.
Than it goes like this:

You press the brake switch and regen will kick in by the set percentage of "Regen current by brake switch on".
Than while holding the push button you can increase the brake force with the second throttle up to the limit you have set in "Max Regen Current

Thanks! I was stumped by the explanation about having a brake switch too. I guess i will have to grow some extra fingers to execute this on an mx track at speed on my new lmx161.
I may just try a momentary button/switch. It seems i just need to connect two wires for this.

Anyone know what type and size metal connectors these controllers use? I've run out of males :cry:

i've wired up a brake switch and a second throttle to BRK_AN(2)
but sadly the second throttle seems not to do anything.
I was hoping to put a linear hall sensor and magnet on my brake lever.

I've played around with the program settings.

I can get regen with the brake switch which is good.
i can be variable regen but it doesn't seem to use the second throttle on BRK_AN(2)

variable regen seems to use the main throttle which is disapointing.
you pull the brake switch and if hand throttle is on it goes into neutral, then releasing the hand throttle will cause regen. you can modulate the regen with the hand throttle.
if hand throttle was off it will brake when brake switch is pulled.

I think i will go back to simple constant regen with the brake switch. set the brake strength low so it doesn't stop me when rolling down hill, cos Its annoying having to cycle the brake lever.

anyone else had any better results?

I've just ran into this same problem my kls7230s worked withought the brake switch 😠
Being lazy here but what pins does the brake switch have to be on to make the variable braking work?
Or have we established it doesn't 😑

For anyone searching thred for solution managed to get working it working used micro switch for pins 13 and 20 ground in lever.
For throttle brake.. pins 20gnd,
2 brake AN and 4 for 5v

Back