Key Switch for E-Bike

One of my first throttles in 2007 or 2008, was a half twist with key switch and an LED fuel gauge adjustable by using different resistors. Since then I've used motorcycle key switches, smallish, light, cheap, and locks the key in while on. It's not as much for security as it is for safety, so some kid (mine or others) don't turn on my bike and grab a handful of throttle.

While my switch usually handles only 60-120mA to turn the controller brain on, it's capable of plenty of current for other electronics like a DC/DC converter. I'd never run a battery main of even a relatively low power ebike through it though. It's so much more convenient with a battery that stays on board and just turn the controller brain on and off and avoid pre-charge circuitry for the caps because they stay charged. Switching power mains is for old-time brushed systems. Our brushless motors can't run without the controller's brain getting its meager bit of power. Think of battery mains like fuel lines, keep them short and direct as possible, avoiding unnecessary and potentially dangerous routing.

I do like the location of the saddle switch...I've been installing my key switches under the saddle flush with the front for years. It's not super easy to reach while aboard, but the consistency of that placement gives my a fighting chance to reach it in an emergency. A dual failure, a throttle and ebrake cutoff at the same time, would be required to need to hit the key in an emergency, so I'll take those odds, especially compared to the comparatively high risk of failure and/or electrocution by sending pack voltage up to the handlebar or at the extreme front.

I bought a cheap motorcycle alarm to run the switch through. I just wish the anti-theft function of the adaptto controller may work with it.

The idea of the switch in the seat looks nice, but I don't know how good will be as a last resort. When the reflex kick in you may punch yourself in an unpleasant way.

I took a scrap of PVC pipe, turned the inside of one end to fit the keyswitch, turned the outside of the other end to fit the hole in the fork triple clamp, filled the cabled end with epoxy, and voila, a keyswitch:

20150525_172143.jpg

Back