• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Kiwis, step in and discuss your eBike experiences in NZ

KiwiME

1 µW
I've had my eBike now for about 6 months and use it mostly for getting around Hawkes Bay. I bought mine after a friend imported one and demonstrated that it provided excellent local transport.
Since there is no dedicated NZ forum I'm interested in hearing eBike experiences from other Kiwi members, if you wish to share.
I'll pose some questions to keep it organised. Just quote this post, delete all but the questions and write over my answers.

1. Did you buy your bike in NZ or self-import?
Bought in NZ from eBike_direct in Wellington on trademe, about $1500.

2. Hub drive or mid-drive and do you know how the motor rating (watts) and what the system voltage is?
Rear hub Bafang 8fun 36V geared motor which has (what I assume is) a continuous thermal rating of 350W. Not sure of the maximum mechanical output power but the graphics on the bike conveniently say "300W."

3. Is it useful for your needs, especially regarding hills, and how many kms have you done?
Great on the flat but I need to pedal pretty hard to get up hills. 400 km so far ... yes not much but it's a fantastic way to get to/from local pubs which are 3km away.

4. Have you ever been stopped by the cops and why?
No, but a friend has because he was not wearing a helmet. Was quizzed over the power (he said he didn't know) and let go.

5. Do you know the NZ law regarding eBikes and think it is adequate for our environment, should have a higher (or lower) power rating, or needs clarification?
I think it's fine regarding the allowed power output of 300W but impossible to enforce unless the cops carry portable dynamometers.
Would be far easier to simply limit us to a roughly-equivalent, and more-easily assessed 30 km/h.

I live in Upper Hutt and Kapiti. I did buy a volto bike $1800 off trade me ... it was a rear hub 350 watt 35km/hr machine and was great on the flat ... but in Wellington area we have hills... LOTS of hills and without a real sweat up going over 400 metre high Moonshine Hill was a stretch ... doable but not really fun. So I traded in the Volto and bought a second hand merida crossway to convert with a Bafang mid-drive. I tried the BBS02 but if failed after only a few kms. Happily EM2EV refunded me and I got a BBSHD from Ewan at E-Max e-bikes in Australia (Paul/EM2EV didn't want to sell to me as he was grumpy with me :-() I built a 1200 watt hours 14S (52v) battery from cells purchased from Tumich off here.
I've been commuting between Upper Hutt and Porirua as weather permits and done 1,000kms. This bike is brilliant. Completely eliminating the slog of the uphill sections - it is balanced and fun. I put wider tyres on it and a thud-buster suspension seat post and a Brooks Flyer saddle to minimise the discomfort on a 60km round trip. I can average mid 30s kmph over an hour's ride including this 400m high hill - this is cruising at mid 40s kmph and maxing out at ~ mid 60s kmph on the downhills.

Although the bike is not strictly legal, I don't think I will have any issues. I installed brake lights linked to the brake cut-offs and I did take it down to VTNZ to get it registered as a moped... However, there was no one who could do this and the recommendation was "why bother".

350 watt is simply not enough for hilly terrain - probably the law should be a speed limit to 50 kmph then 90% of e-bikers would be happy. Mine is capable of 60kmph on the flat but I rarely use top assist and never use the throttle - where maximum power of the machine can be extracted.

Hi Phil

When you built up that battery did you arc weld it or solder it?

Incidentally, if you register as a moped are you then excluded from using bike tracks? It's a good question.

And are you required to wear a m/cycle helmet instead of a bike helmet.?

BTW - the requirement for bike helmets is a Land Transport requirement (and so is motor power) and as such only applies on the road, but not cycle tracks.

Probably as long as you behave like a grownup neither is a real issue.
rgds

Richard

phild said:
.. merida crossway ... with a Bafang mid-drive...
Found your video ... awesome speed up that road! I should have realized that most members on this forum are going to be riding modified or custom bikes.
The riding environment for me around Napier and Hastings is mostly flat, mixed-use paved footpaths (about 2.5m wide) and dedicated bike paths that are unpaved with a sandy surface and a bit bumpy. My max speed of 30kph (with no headwind) is adequate given there are other riders and pedestrians. I've noticed people, other bikes and drivers are even less aware of my presence than when I'm riding my normal mountain bike so copious use of a bell is required. One reason I like to remain fully "legal" is that I can (mostly) avoid the worry about alcohol limits when returning from an evening out.

When you built up that battery did you arc weld it or solder it?
I know solder is NOT the way to go ... but that's what I did (I have no access to a spot welder). I first built a battery from used/old laptop batteries... but had massive sag and soldering was imperfect so I started again with new cells - I saw on here that others had some success with solder and read about the pit falls ... so was super careful. I have a BMS on it and the 14S balance out nicely as I monitor each cell occasionally. I also monitor every ride with a watt meter so I know what I have used. I've done a couple of 60km trips over the Tararuas (Akatarawa Road) over to Kapiti and never got the battery below 49 volts - it is 8P (112 cells in all) using Samsung 35E 3500mah cells - so theoretically 28 amp hours. However, I've never fully discharged the battery ... as this is bad for it's longevity.

if you register as a moped are you then excluded from using bike tracks?
Don't know but I'd expect so. So unregistered and using a bike track ... doubly naughty!! I've never been stopped and since I respect other users/pedestrians I doubt I ever will be.

are you required to wear a m/cycle helmet instead of a bike helmet.?

I am not sure on the legal situation there.
I messed my face/teeth up in an accident so always use a motor cross MTB helmet anyway. An over the handlebars accident lands one on the face, so a cycle helmet is no protection for one of the most likely types of accident IMHO ... having been there.

Back