KT-LCD1 Controller Error 06

My bike has suddenly developed a 06 error, I understand that the error is "Motor or controller has short circuit Abnormality", but I'm unsure what it actually means and how to fix it.

It can be different things. But you have a short somewhere in the chain from; battery, controller to the motor. If you feel a resistance when the controller is connected to the motor but you have everything turned off one or more MOSFETS are broken. If you disconnect the controller cable to the motor and the resistance is gone then you know for sure.

The biggest problem with fixing a short circuit is that it can be one or more components that are broken. If you determine that the controller is broken the easiest is to buy a new one instead of fixing the existing one.

I didn't mention that the motor was also jolting when I used the throttle. I suspect there may also be a hall sensor broken. Is there a specific type of Hall effect sensor needed for my motor (just a regular kit from ebay), or can I obtain any? Plus, How do I test whether it is a Hall sensor and not a broken cable?

If you're lucky, it's just a faulty motor connection somewhere. Check them all; however, I think it means that the CPU has detected current flowing through the shunt when the mosfets are supposed to be shut, which would mean a blown mosfet or a short on the controller's PCB. You could open the controller and check that the solder hasn't melted on the main tracks/traces between the battery connections and the mosfets (wide tracks/traces).

The Motor doesn't spin smoothly even when there is no power which leads me to suspect a fault in the motor somewhere. I don't understand very much about the electrical or mechanical systems, but could it still be a fault in the controller if the motor still does not spin freely when there is no power at all?

Endless squarer said:
The Motor doesn't spin smoothly even when there is no power which leads me to suspect a fault in the motor somewhere. I don't understand very much about the electrical or mechanical systems, but could it still be a fault in the controller if the motor still does not spin freely when there is no power at all?

If it's a direct drive motor, then the fault is most likely in the controller. Test it by completely disconnecting the motor. If it then spins freely, the problem must be outside the motor. If it's a geared motor that doesn't spin freely in the forward direction, there's a problem in the motor.

Back