KTM conversion ELXC

20240511_202836.jpg
Confirming the battery design with 0.5mm 3040 epoxy glass sheet insulators between cells, thanks @amberwolf 😊.
I've found that most electrical insulation/mechanical padding materials generally have poor thermal conductivity.
I know I'll be dropping the bike when off road and the battery enclosure will likely take some damage being mounted on the sides of the frame. The risk of the aluminium enclosure shorting against the cell terminals or damaging the cells is something that has been on my mind.
To protect against this I've opted to use 2mm thermal pad on each side of the pack to conduct heat away from the cells as well as providing some space to absorb any small dents from damage. I also did some destructive testing of the 3040 epoxy glass sheet to see how it would absorb damage from a cell terminal pressing hard against if that happened in a crash. I expected it to crack like fibreglass but it held up really well to a few solid blows from me hitting it with a hammer. I'll use this above the terminals on the lid of each 14s battery case. I'd recommend this if other members are looking for a strong, thin (0.5mm) insulator.
20240512_175903.jpg

Last edited:
Back