L.A. approve Measure HLA to make room on streets for bikes, buses

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
Rachel Uranga.
By Rachel Uranga
-------------------
Backers of a citizen-sponsored ballot initiative that forces Los Angeles to add hundreds of miles of bike and bus lanes — to make streets safer for pedestrians and bicyclists — declared victory on Wednesday.

Measure HLA was leading by a wide margin, according to semifinal results released by the Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk on Wednesday.

“This says people in Los Angeles want change, they want safer streets, and they want the city to follow through on their promises,” said Michael Schneider, who has led the HLA campaign and is executive director of the advocacy group Streets for All, which conceived the measure.

Measure HLA requires Los Angeles to re-engineer some of the region’s most storied boulevards, reducing traffic lanes, building more space for bicyclists and buses, and providing better protections for pedestrians. It calls for 238 miles of protected bike lanes, hundreds more unprotected lanes and 300 miles of improvements for buses, including designated lanes and signal prioritization for public transit.

The transportation measure essentially compels the city to follow its nearly decade-old Mobility Plan 2035, which was meant to revamp how the city moved by designating specific roads for biking, transit and more foot traffic, but has been largely ignored.

When it was adopted in 2015, the plan marked a departure from how the city viewed street infrastructure that was largely created for cars to one that is multimodal. Transportation planners embraced the concept because such measures tended to make streets safer and reduce traffic speeds while encouraging transit, biking and walking.

Backers sank more than $3 million into HLA and the campaign largely centered on safety, erecting billboards across the city painting a dire picture of vehicle-caused deaths, which outpaced homicides last year.

“This is being watched nationally,” said Marlon Boarnet, director of the METRANS Transportation Consortium at USC. “It’s a signal across the country that people really value streets where, yes, they can drive, but they could also walk, they could also bicycle.”

Until now, Boarnet said, the narrative on so-called road diets in the region has often centered on those who oppose losing traffic lanes to bicyclists or buses. He pointed to places such as Culver City, where the council pared back its plan to eliminate car lanes after an outcry. And in Los Angeles, KeepLAMoving, a top opponent of HLA, helped beat back earlier efforts to reduce car lanes, scoring a victory in 2017 when officials removed bike lanes on the Westside.

“The fight to bring back some common sense to street planning in Los Angeles is not over,” said Christopher LeGras, co-director of KeepLAMoving. He contended that traffic would increase and that local businesses would probably lose parking, and said that the plan lacked a component for community input. The group will continue organizing opposition and is looking at options to slow or stop the measure, he said.

Under HLA, each time city agencies pave or improve one-eighth of a mile (660 feet) of street, they must install elements of its Mobility Plan. And the city must track their progress for the public to see online. If the city doesn’t comply, residents can sue.

The campaign gained the support of half a dozen City Council members, business groups and unions. It faced little financially backed opposition until a month ago, when the city’s firefighters union weighed in against it.

United Firefighters of Los Angeles City Local 112, which represents about 3,400 firefighters, said it spent $250,000 to defeat the measure.

MAR VISTA, CA - SEPTEMBER 29, 2021: A bicyclist rides along a bike lane on Venice Blvd. in Mar Vista. (Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)
California

“It’s unfortunate,” union President Freddy Escobar said. “We got outspent.”

Escobar said the failure of many city leaders to take a stand against the only city measure on the ballot hurt the campaign. Although seven City Council members backed the measure, two of the most powerful elected officials at City Hall — Mayor Karen Bass and Council President Paul Krekorian — did not take a position.

“We knew it was going to be an uphill battle,” he said. “I wish others would have stood with us.”

“And now, unfortunately, the residents of Los Angeles will realize what we have been saying that it’s going to delay response times and not going to help with the traffic.”

City Administrative Officer Matt Szabo released a report a day after the firefighters came out against the plan warning that Measure HLA projects would cost the city $3.1 billion over a decade and would force difficult budget choices in the coming years. Schneider and supporters have said Szabo’s estimates are inflated. Based on similar city projects, he estimates the measure would cost $28.6 million a year over a decade.

Szabo has said that the financial strain could force the city to delay other pavement projects. And some transit advocates worry that the plan does not take into account community needs. There is nothing in the plan that guides how it is implemented and whether neighborhoods with greater needs are prioritized.

Got my vote..... Enthusiastically!

I agree with the concept, maybe not the interpretation nor the process...

Yep, we need bike lanes, there are enough citizens who want to use them, make it possible.

LA has a traffic issue unlike any other, I mean we actually studied this when I was in college. I got my degree in 1990... It has never once reduced, it manages static at the best of times. Getting public transport working again would be a huge boon (LA historically had one of the best light rail systems on the planet, the big 3 auto companies led the charge in destroying them to bring in buses),
LA is also now very much a driving culture (best play on that is in the Moviue "LA Story"So public transport improvements.. awesome, focused on busses??? Uhm, better than nothing. Focused on Cycling. I would normally argue not so much, but haiving lived there. It has something like 330 days of the year where cycling would be good, and the other ones are not impossible, just kind of sucky.

The thing that leaps out at me... Buses and bikes in the same lane? is that what the plan is? SF tried that. Turns out buses are harder on cyclists than the black plague. It began, implemented and ended in under 2 years, and 25 deaths IIRC I know that my adoptive father was in insurance adjusting at the time and lost his bloody mind at the concept. He had been a foot-commuter to SF state.. sometime before I was born. He hated the SF Electric bus system for some reason.

I hope they do realise that there is beneficial travel that does not require IC engines.. or motors of any sort. I just worry that they don't actually you know.. research solutions, instead it seems that a lot of these choices are driven by campaign years.

It's going to be a difficult project even if right decisions have been made now. You can't rely on politicians sticking to decisions of their predecessors especially if reversing the whole thing would get them some popularity. But i agree, mixing buses with bicycles on same lanes is just insane, i mean it's useful in just one case - when you want to prove that buses and bicycles don't make any sense.

Back