Laws for electric vehicles on uk roads

handbaked

100 W
Hi

I know the laws for electric bikes but what are the laws for other, maybe custom electric vehicles without pedals to be used on uk roads?

I understand the vehicle will need an IVA and be issued a registration plate. Is this for any ev that doesn't have pedals no matter what it is or how fast it goes?

Cheers

As far as I'm aware, other than an electric-bicycle, it doesn't matter whether a vehicle is powered by electricity or internal combustion - the rules are the same. I.e. no exemption or laxity for electric vehicles in terms of licencing, construction/use rules.

I was thinking more along the lines of converting a vehicle to make it road legal. specifically a 2 seater golf buggy. It's a big industry in the USA but almost unheard of here. Just trying to think through what would actually be required. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If you are building A 2 wheel vehicle, a 3 wheel vehicle or a 4 wheel vehicle less than 400kg kerb weight (excluding traction batteries) and less than 15Kw motor power then you can register via the MSVA test which is much simpler than IVA, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual for the manual.

If under certain weight/power/speed limits it can be classified as a quadricycle, like the G-wiz. You still need to pass an SVA test, but the requirements might be less. Otherwise AFAIK it's a full-blown SVA like any other car.

Check out what laws apply to a Reliant Robin and build to that standard.

Thanks for the info on sva. I think that will probably suffice. It's not going to be more than a 15kw motor and the speed will be pretty limited. I was thinking exactly the same re: gardeners using the vehicles on the road...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back