Leather and electric bicycles

I like it!!!

i did not forget about rain, the leather is waterproofed. also it is double layered on the top with large flaps . i think it will be as dry or dryer then most battery bags out their. also the battery packs themselfs are sealed in the blue plastic like they shrink wrap on boats. the front tool bag is also made of leather and my tools have not got wet and i ride every day

Sno-seal Bees wax leather waterproofing has been keeping moto riders dry and comfortable for decades. As effective for bags/luggage as it is for shoes/boots and jackets/chaps.

it is not about if leather is waterproof or if the battery bag has a flaps.
I look at the picture of the bag with lock at the top, wires coming out from the top..it means water will enter box along wires sooner or later, silicone seal on wire will break/crack /leather moves around not rigid/.
Leather or not leather battery box should never have wires coming out of battery box from the top, instead they should enter battery box from the bottom with drip loop, what is drip loop?
Reason for all this is the Law of Gravity, why to fight it ?

Have we seen yet how it's mounted on the bike yet? Until then 'best refrain making assumptions about how it may or may not shed water.

miro13car said:
it is not about if leather is waterproof or if the battery bag has a flaps.
I look at the picture of the bag with lock at the top, wires coming out from the top..it means water will enter box along wires sooner or later, silicone seal on wire will break/crack /leather moves around not rigid/.
Leather or not leather battery box should never have wires coming out of battery box from the top, instead they should enter battery box from the bottom with drip loop, what is drip loop?
Reason for all this is the Law of Gravity, why to fight it ?
the wires come out the side of the bag and not the top of the bag below where the end of the flap and latch are. the holes they come out are sealed. the wires were angled downwards out of the bag for an extra measure. also under that flap with the latch their is 2 more flaps over top fo the battery. the strapping system goes around the battery's out the bottom and around the bicycle mount to hold the hole thing to the bike. so battery cannot move around. glad you know know everything about my bag, i worked hard on it and everything is well planned out. in addition it very seldom rains here. i put 6,000 miles on the bike in the last year and have ridden in drizzle 1 time and never a down pour. 90% of our rain is at night. you don't like the bag and i am fine with that but do not try to make me look stupid. that is not appreciated when you have no idea what you are talking about.

decided I needed more storage. I use my electric bike to commute back and forth to work
attachment.php

attachment.php

So why do you photograph bag in upright position in first place, Why not to assume it is placed like that on bike?
SO
Finally show us this battery on picture mounted on your bike so nobody would "assume"

once again, stunning work. what tools do you use to make the bag itself? id like to try making leather bags, but i dont know what i need to start. cant seem to find consistent info. some give lists of expensive specialty tools, others just say a nail or ice pik to make holes and a pair of sissors. after that, things just get more confusing...

what do you use?

muffinman said:
once again, stunning work. what tools do you use to make the bag itself? id like to try making leather bags, but i dont know what i need to start. cant seem to find consistent info. some give lists of expensive specialty tools, others just say a nail or ice pik to make holes and a pair of sissors. after that, things just get more confusing...

what do you use?
bag like that real easy and only a couple tools.
what you would need is leather of course.
to make the holes for sewing a dremel tool with a small drill bit works great
scissors to cut the leather
only 2 stamps the skull ones which are around $3.00 each,
the 2 skull snaps which are $2.39 each.
alphabet set and I think they are around $25.00
then thread to sew and the stain is an antique tan

its really can be very cheap to do depending what you would like. the other bags I used a lot of tools on, I wanted this one to be simple and fast to make and did it in an afternoon

where do you buy your leather and snaps? and thread? is there a certain kind you prefer? any good, reputable online sources? also, is the stain nessesary or just decorative? i was thinking of beeswax sealer for additional waterproofing. i dont plan on riding in the rain, but if i get caught in it, it will have to survive.
to me, the stamping is an extra, while nice, something i dont need to do. function comes first for me.
i hope you dont mind all the questions, your work is simply inspiring.
last thought: has the battery bag had its first baptism in rain? how did that go?

actually natural leather looks great. all tools the leather and everything else i get on ebay. nothing is available on the island. the leather to use is called veg tan or tooling leather which is very pliable when wet,. the tools are craftools by tandy leather. here is a link to their site. free videos all sorts of things. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com i would also check the phone book and see if their is a tandy leather store close to you, they have classes and are usually pretty helpful and will demonstrate things for you, i live on an island so forced to do everything mail.

The fingers said:
I like the skull and crossbones and skull snaps warning prying fingers to keep out or die. :twisted:
how much current do you think we could run through them? and would they melt? or electrocute the thef- uh, i mean, victim?

Back