Left side drive brake options?

Let's remember, left side drive is not a problem, it is brake options when using a left sider drive that is the issue.

My recumbent has rim brakes on the rear, so no problem there. But, I prefer disc brakes. At speed my rim brakes stink. :D

My mountain bike has disc brakes front and rear. I have a machineshop. So, for me, it is not a problem. But, I am trying to figure out the least painful left side brake option for those without access to a shop.

Matt

The Grubee hub has potential, if the drum flange can serve as a mount for a disk. Creating a tapped 1x35tpi CCW disk adapter could be a chore.

If you guys could mount an adapter on the left side, it would be great if the sprocket bolt diameter was standardized so that one persons solution could work across a large spectrum of bikes. Is there a place that sells the sprockets you guys want to use with a standard BCD for all their sprockets?

I'm tossing around some possibilities....

recumpence said:
Hey Guys,

In an attempt to keep from clogging up the drive system thread, I figured I would start a new thread about options for braking while using the disc brake flange as a sprocket mount.

Here is one possibility. I opened up my Avid caliper to the max and it fits (with room to spare) around this #25 sprocket! So, I could use a "Sprotor" (sprocket/rotor) arrangement if I am willing to run a #25 chain. I am not sure that small chain will be enough. But, if I go with a large enough sprocket, the chain loading will be lower and the "Rotor" will be larger for better braking. So, maybe a 8 inch Sprotor?

The chain does have to go around the caliper.

Lube is not a big deal as you can use many different types of dry lube. Also, if minimal normal oil is used, it does not move from the teeth down the sprocket face.

The pads contact the disc just below the teeth. So, this would, in theory, work fine.

Oh, heat is not much of an issue on bike disc brakes unless high speed and long braking distances are encountered.

I think it could work. Again, I am concerned about #25 chain strangth.

I guess some testing is in order!

Let's remember, left side drive is not a problem, it is brake options when using a left sider drive that is the issue.

My recumbent has rim brakes on the rear, so no problem there. But, I prefer disc brakes. At speed my rim brakes stink. :D

My mountain bike has disc brakes front and rear. I have a machineshop. So, for me, it is not a problem. But, I am trying to figure out the least painful left side brake option for those without access to a shop.

Matt

Hi Matt,

High speed riders are exactly the target audience here.

If you really believe this is completely safe or if you really believe this is completely safe with some care (careful lubrication for example) and you want to do this on your own bike I think your judgement is good enough to do it.

If you want to sell it as a product I think (with all due respect) thats a really bad idea. Seems like a classic product for a potential product liability lawsuit.

Hangdog,

I am looking to use my Alfine for just that purpose, left had drive with my current cyclone motor setup. Do you know a good source for conversion/adaptor kit to enable me to put a sprocket onto that spline for the Alfine.

Thanks for any advice.

^^^Looks just fine...^^^

$40 seems reasonable to me, for a machined adapter with little or no runout. I don't think I could make one as good myself for much less.

Kings Sales & Service vid on the tophat:
[youtube]InNOcW2M_iE[/youtube]

You'll have to check your frame to see if you can run a 6" disc rotor that close to the chainstays. Most frames give you a little room but I suspect that one may run close, particularly on frames that aren't intended for 2.5" tires. The chainstay tubes may taper in too quickly and foul the rotor. Another issue you'll have to address is the shimming of the caliper. Depending on your brake caliper mounts on the frame, there may be clearance issues because you'll need to move the caliper the same distance outwards, (same as the width of the tophat adapter) which is quite a way for some caliper brackets.

jensonusa.com is another good source for centrelock to IS adapters.

I have the Alfine on my red bike, but it's been given me some shifting problems. There's often a 'lag' in shifting where I'll click to a new gear then then moment(s) later it will make the change. I've got both the twist and trigger shifter and they behave the same. I've made sure the adjustment lines match upon the middle gear. Perhaps a gear flush is what's needed...

I've considered the left side gear/disc options on my dh team thread.
file.php

Specifically: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6475&p=103934&hilit=top+hat#p103934

I think the best option is leaving the disc and caliper and caliper mount system 'as is' and functional for bikes that come disc equipped. I'd like to see the sprocket or pulley assembly designed around the existing disc system.

That "Top Hat" is an excellent find! How does one align the disk and caliper to make up for the extra material behind the disk? Could you just use spacers on the axle?

I found this image of a left side sprocket on a Nexus 8sp internal hub. It looks interesting. On that, I want to explore the possibility of electronic shifting for the Nexus hub. The cable needs to move 5.5mm for each shift. The RC community must have something to effect those shifts with a servo or micro solenoid thingy. If anyone has any ideas can you share or direct me to a thread or forum.
oilednexus.jpg

hubstripping is a good site. I see you were checking the url too Miles :D

That hub does not look like it will be on a wheel at all. Mid drive of some fashion i suspect. Not a bad plan at all.

Alfine on a DH bike (not mid drive, but could have been...):
img0200fv9.jpg

The beginnings of a Alfine mid drive here with photos (now abandoned AFAIK):
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3074831#post3074831

Back