LG Pouch Cell - 6s build

gobi

10 kW
I bought some of LG pouch cells to build a 6s, low amp battery.

Pros:
Small, light for amount of energy each cell has.

Cons:
For now, only con I see is that the positive bus bar/ends are shorter and totally shite.

Step1:
I rolled the dents and bends with the butt of a screw driver to flatten the bus bars.

I see most of them have glue residue from the insulating tape they were shipped in.

Question: Can I use alcohol to clean the surfaces?

Attachments

• lg_pouch_3.jpg
    lg_pouch_3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 215
  • lg_pouch_2.jpg
    lg_pouch_2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 215
  • lg_pouch_1.jpg
    lg_pouch_1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 215
gobi said:

yes certainly you can with no damage.

I've found alcohol doesn't cut much of the adhesive residue on some of the pouch/cylindrical cells. I mostly use lacquer thinner these days and if it's really stubborn then I use MEK which is a step stronger than the lacquer thinner.

WD 40 is very effective as an adhesive remover.
Then remove the oil with isopropyl alcohol.

DogDipstick said:
gobi said:

yes certainly you can with no damage.

Gotcha, I went back and read some of your pouch cell build threads to brush up.
Thinking of using rivets, heading to lowes at night to pick up the stuff.

Diggs said:
I've found alcohol doesn't cut much of the adhesive residue on some of the pouch/cylindrical cells. I mostly use lacquer thinner these days and if it's really stubborn then I use MEK which is a step stronger than the lacquer thinner.

MEK, I had to look that up, Methyl ethyl ketone, flame on, lol, I don't have any on hand, I will look at my stash, I might has some lacquer thinner.

PaPaSteve said:
WD 40 is very effective as an adhesive remover.
Then remove the oil with isopropyl alcohol.
I might have to use WD, if I can't find any lacquer.

Thanks everyone!

Both are common in hardware stores and even Walmart. Admittedly MEK is a bit out of the ordinary and safety warnings apply, but lacquer thinner is pretty common and easily removes adhesives, felt tip pen writings, unwanted paint (be careful with wanted paint), etc. Although WD40 does have good cleaning capability, I'd stay away from it around electronics as it leaves a residue.

Back