LiFePo4 BMS Options

Old_Scoot

100 mW
I've been off the boards for almost a year (just enjoying my e-bike).

Anyway, the Signal Lab BMS I was using on my 16S Headway pack died. I'm riding bareback for now while I look for a replacement. What are people using these days for packs like this?

I'm not really sure what happened. There are no visible signs of damage on the board. The BMS cut power to the controller during a short ride with a full charge. The board shows one red LED. I will post some pics tonight.

I am using "Mini BMS" http://www.cleanpowerauto.com/MiniBMS.html, The Centralized version. It is a little pricey but it works very well and it is shipped from somewhere in the US. They answered all my question very promptly.

my bike has a relatively large pack 100v x 16ah headway so I detach the bms while I ride and only use it to plug into when charging. The BMS will turn off the charger when hvc has been reached. I believe it has 1amp shunting capacity, (but don't quote me on this). I have been using this BMS with 2 48volt CC CV DC power supplies wired in series that I bought off ebay. it has been 6 months now and my cells are balanced within + - 0.01 v of each other.

When I say that I don't ride with the BMS attached that is not to say that I couldn't, it is just that I have a large bank and I monitor the overall voltage with a cycle analyst. My mileage around town isn't enough to bother with attaching the BMS. However for long trips I would defiantly attach it (as well as the charger) in which case my pack would be monitored and I can plug into any 120v outlet to power up. the BMS sounds an alarm when LVC is reached.

another nice thing about this unit is that it is expandable. In my case when I first built the bike I was running 72v but then I decided to up to 100v (since I just had the batteries sitting around), I only had to wire in a small shunt in the board to make it configured to 30s instead of 22s. The company also tells me that instead of a shunt I could wire in a simple toggle switch that could allow me to monitor between 22s and 30s (or any other configuration). This was something I was considering because the way the bike is built I could take off the extra 8s and use 22s when I take the train to different cities (with only 22s it will pass the weight requirements for bicycle for the train company (i.e max 72lb) otherwise I wouldn't be able to take the bike on the train.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I tested each cell with a handheld multimeter and they all test fine. The pack is well balanced. I checked and doubled checked the continuity of the balance leds with an ohm meter between the cell terminal and the JST connector and they were fine. So the cells are all fine as are the balance leads. It pretty much has to be the BMS. The one thing I didn't try was completely disconnecting the BMS and reconnecting it.

dfar, that looks like a great BMS solution but is a bit pricey for my application. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet rig though!

I have been using the 50 amp BMS from Headway Headquarters. It seems to work well, all the cells are well balanced. But I have only been using it a short time, so I don't have a long history to report.
Rich

Well, I found the problem when I took the pictures. It really looks like physical damage, I'm just not sure how the heck that happened. One SMD is completely missing, another is hanging on by a thread. Looks to me like they were physically torn from the circuit board. No signs of arcing or burning that I can see.

Back side with damage:
http://www.truenorthyoga.com/uploads/103_2845.JPG

Front side looks fine:
http://www.truenorthyoga.com/uploads/103_2849.JPG

Think this can be repaired given that the solder pads are missing?

Yeah, I didn't see it until I took the picture and enlarged it on the computer. My eyes aren't that sharp anymore, lol. Now that I know it is there, I can see it with the naked eye. I can solder, but not sure I can do that fine work. Would definitely need to find a good strong magnifier.

Yeah, it sure looks like mechanical damage. There is even a scratch on the board where it dragged across something. I'm sure I did that at some point. Thanks for the kind offer on the parts but I can probably reuse the existing resistor as it appears to be in one piece. If you think it will work without the cap I will just give it a try that way. Thanks for you help, gotta love these forums!

I recently got my 20-cell BMS connected, bought from Cell-Man last year, and it's working great on 30AH HiPowers.
One cell stays a bit high at 3.8x V but all others are solid at 3.6V at charger cut-off; I suspect the cell rather than the BMS??
Shunt current max is a mere 80ma, so get dem cells well-balanced beforehand.

I think this BMS was around $60

I imagine he has access to other cell-count BMS

I believe I heard this may be a Headway BMS???

Back