LightningRods mid drive kit

LightningRods said:
It's just a little hole. You'll hardly notice it.

That's what my surgeon said! :lol: I kid. Drill away.

...and bring on the power! In the meantime, we need to find a controller with wheelie control. ;)

Back in the old days luxury cars were intentionally made heavy because it improved the ride. The builders weren't exactly sure why, they just observed that the heavy cars were smoother on the road and didn't react to every little bump like lighter cars. Then European engineers finally figured out that it wasn't the mass of the car that gave a good ride, it was the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight. A light car with really lightweight wheels and suspension could have a ride as good or better than a big tank with steel wheels and I beam suspension. 20 lbs of mid drive does not affect the handling of the bike like 20 lbs of wheel weight. And any time you're talking about the weight of a hub motor kit, you have to consider all of the extra batteries that are required to give the same performance and range as a mid drive.

I'll go into polar moment of inertia and how that affects the bikes's handling another time.

No the dropout widths of the Raptor swingarm are 150mm and 165mm. I wrote the factory about offering 135mm and 170mm but they didn't respond. We can make one of the less common hub sizes close to 150 or 165 work.

I was thinking about the motor in swingarm method for some time, do you think even a smallblock + the minimum of the belt reduction (axle, sprocket and uretan-pully + 2 bearings) would be to much weight for that?
I have seen some nice builds with this method (without two reductions, just direct from motor to wheel) here on ES.

maybe if the motors weight is near the swingarm-pivot. It would not effect the suspesion that much like a hubmototr, where the weight is at the end of the swingarm.?

I'm sure that leverage enters into the effect of weight on the swingarm. The closer to the pivot point the better. The closer to the axle the worse the effect of the weight becomes.

You would be looking at a custom swingarm that is minimum 5" longer to accommodate the diameter or either the small block or big block motor. Once you have extended the swingarm and moved the rear wheel out of the way, why not attach the mid drive to the main bike frame in the new space? It would not take up any more room and would completely eliminate the unsprung weight problem.

The big drawback to this approach is that you would have to develop a custom extended swingarm for every type of bike that you want to install this type of drive on. If your plan was to choose one bike frame and go with that particular one I think it's a viable idea.

I'm still working on ways to front mount the motor on full suspension bikes and transfer the power back to an output sprocket near the swingarm pivot. I think that two stages of reduction are needed. Otherwise you end up with a 12T driver sprocket and a 96T driven sprocket for one stage of reduction.

I'm always kind to my suppliers. I'm smart enough to know that if I act like a jerk, I'll either get bad service or no service. It's not like throwing a tantrum in a restaurant

And What is his attitude for the customers of his Lightning Rod Business? Flippant at best. Expect Bait and Switch Tactics. You will be promised a short delivery date only to find the delivery date has been pushed into the future. What is Mike Bachus doing? Working on someone else's project he claims. It seems he cannot deliver on time.

And how do I know? He took 5 months to get the SM Block out to me [you know $400 down and 6 weeks then the rest of the $$] and now he cannot supply the some broken parts for his product [at 178 miles of use] that he claims are in his LR parts store. Customer Service? You're kidding.

Fortunately Mike this is not your restaurant but it is a like a public booth where we can discuss relevant problems arising with purchasing and using your products and let other potential buyers become critically aware of how they can expect your shop? to procrastinate/forestall/censor on their investments.

I have criticized Luna Cycle Products on sites at EV and elsewhere but they have never told me to remove the text if I want to purchase a product/part from them like Michael Bachus has done.

I have 9 ebikes: Mike has sold me noisiest machine of the lot. I wear ear plug when riding this. So can you buy this back?

Welcome to the Michael Bachus internet bullying of Dirty Dingus McGee!

cheekybloke,

No, I have not finished making my point, and I am sorry to hear you cannot empathise with me, yet you like the internet freedom to speak you mind.

Dear dingus mcgee, I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your LR drive. Since it is so loud that you must wear earplugs, I suspect something must be wrong with it. Fortunately, you posted that you have nine ebikes, so you have a backup for this unfortunate situation. I have an LR small-block kit, and mine has a noise under full throttle that is not objectionable at all, so I am disappointed that that your kit has some undiagnosed issue.

Fortunately, these kits are in enough demand that I suspect you would have no problems selling it (should you choose to take that avenue). A minor mis-adjustment by the person who installed it can cause problems, so it may be useful to ask for some assistance from someone who is more mechanically inclined. I mean this as no insult to your mechanical abilities, but clearly something "more" seems to be required here.

I hope those new members will take note that in spite of the posted dis-satisfaction, the drive in question is definitely "not for sale" (as of yet), so I suspect that there is still some perceived value in this drive. A drive for which I have personal verifiable experience with...

Should it suddenly go "up for sale", I would view it as a "win/win" situation. Someone who is unhappy is shed of it, and someone who actually wants it gets one. We shall see what happens next.

spinningmagnets,

thanks for the thoughtful and considerate reply.

I have in quiver a Luna Cyclone 3000 and it is whisper quiet. I got it this quiet by testing various bike chains. I have attempted some tuning adjustments of the Small Block's drive but there are not very many distinctly different chain makings in 219 GoKart chain as there are in bike chains. I may have sensitive ears. Any suggestions are welcome. BTW: the 219 Kart chain on ebay is about half the price of what Bachus asks[$40]

I bought the Small Block under the assumption that parts would be available and I had no idea this bike mid drive maker cannot accept pertinent criticism. Such deficiencies in character are worth knowing in any business deal -- hence my posting.

Seriously, I am not without a gates 5MR-535-25 belt as they are for sale at Biedlers see http://www.biedlers-belts.com/gates-5mr-535-25-belt.html for a mere $18.63 as opposed to $40.00 from Lightning Rod.

On this site, I ask LR to either produce or refund over the long delay [ he also said that post had to be removed] and someone posted that the LR mid drive is well worth the wait. I beg to differ as the punctual investment of $$ and returns means something in my life. The Cyclone 3000 build seems to have yielded a much finer product at 40% of the cost and no headaches from a Sensitive New Age Male?

It is nice to keep something like the LR SM BK around so as your friends can make the better hands on choice by riding both it and the C-3000.

Hello,

I'm on downtime waiting to hear back from Mike about parts including a new motor. From what I see here, he has been busy creating some nice stuff, so I'm trying to be patient.

The motor I need to replace (because I seriously weakened the magnets and lost power) started making noise from the spindle bearing. It clearly needs grease. I was wondering how others are greasing the motor bearing?

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

They're sealed bearings. I have replacement bearings that are not expensive. E-mail me if you want one.

Motor shipments have been shut down because of political conferences in Beijing. The government has decided that magnets in the mail are dangerous for some reason. I'm still waiting for the green light from my supplier.

LightningRods said:
Chris,

They're sealed bearings. I have replacement bearings that are not expensive. E-mail me if you want one.

Motor shipments have been shut down because of political conferences in Beijing. The government has decided that magnets in the mail are dangerous for some reason. I'm still waiting for the green light from my supplier.

Thanks Mike. I hope they end their talks soon. The motor is weakened so I'm not sure it's worth it or if it can be rebuilt. How difficult is bearing replacement?

Last week I was told "next week" so that should mean now. They're 16 hours ahead so it's almost start of business Wednesday there. I'm going to check in with them again.

DingusMcGee said:
spinningmagnets,

BTW: the 219 Kart chain on ebay is about half the price of what Bachus asks[$40]
I've never heard Mike suggest that he is some kind of discount barn. He is an inventor, not Walmart. Congrats on the cheap find, I can mail you a trophy.

DingusMcGee said:
I bought the Small Block under the assumption that parts would be available and I had no idea this bike mid drive maker cannot accept pertinent criticism. Such deficiencies in character are worth knowing in any business deal -- hence my posting.

Well, we all know about assumptions and their consequences: assuming makes you look like an ass to me. A bit of empathy might qualm your frustration. Try and imagine yourself in his position (really you should try it). If you believe he can invent, test, build, market, support, and ship a carefully crafted item in the time it takes you to receive a happy meal at your local drive through, you should try a little harder to put yourself in his shoes.

DingusMcGee said:
Seriously, I am not without a gates 5MR-535-25 belt as they are for sale at Biedlers see http://www.biedlers-belts.com/gates-5mr-535-25-belt.html for a mere $18.63 as opposed to $40.00 from Lightning Rod.
Seriously, since the advent of google, it's not very awe-worthy to find a good deal from an internet vendor.

DingusMcGee said:
On this site, I ask LR to either produce or refund over the long delay [ he also said that post had to be removed] and someone posted that the LR mid drive is well worth the wait. I beg to differ as the punctual investment of $$ and returns means something in my life.
You seem impatient to me. I waited over 9 months to get my L/R kit. Sometimes communications with Mike were a bit dodgy, but I understand his current situation. He has a potent work ethic, the flip side of which is: he bites off more than he can chew. Give the guy a break. If you really want a one-off high quality item, incorporate an uncomfortable wait time into your 'investment.' There are worse things...

DingusMcGee said:
The Cyclone 3000 build seems to have yielded a much finer product at 40% of the cost and no headaches from a Sensitive New Age Male?

Sensitive New Age Male? You mean someone who whines and complains about not getting his toys right away? I can only assume you're referring to yourself here. Lighten up, you've got 8 other e-bikes. Go ride one.

DingusMcGee said:
It is nice to keep something like the LR SM BK around so as your friends can make the better hands on choice by riding both it and the C-3000.
Given that you're posting this in the L/R thread, this statement really shows how petty and small minded you are. Stop trolling and go design, test, and build your own mid drive kit. Then offer it for sale. Hire an employee, work non-stop to satisfy demanding customers, innovate some more, and fill as many orders as possible to support your lifestyle. After that, come back here and trash whatever mid drive kit you like. Until then, no one will take you seriously. K thx.

To DingusMcGee

Mike has always been fair and responded to my emails. When a bolt came off of my LR kit. He responded right away. Sent me the item. All I did was pay for shipping.

Did I pay half up front and waited and waited? Yes.

An inventor is always at the mercy of those shops who also promise and don't deliver. If he is continuously reinventing his creation there will always be delays that are out of his control.

In my experience when I had to sell my LR kit, I had an interested buyer in 2 weeks. Why did I sell mine? Because in NYC where I live I could not have such a beautiful looking kit parked in the street all day and not worry that someone would try to damage it because they couldn't steal it. I went with a BBS02 and disconnect everything when I go into my building to work.

Also, my experience when running into problems, I could go to this forum and ask questions and would get my answers right away. John Bozi, r3volved, and others that I cannot remember offhand.

Even when you purchase the vehicle of your dreams there will always be hiccups. Hope all goes well for you in the near future.

Hello everyone,

Gathering up parts for Luna #9 LRBB :D

[strike]I need to know what the battery box inside dimensions are please.... Thx in advance--[/strike]

And has anyone put moto tires and wheels on a Luna yet???? ---I would love to have some input on that before I go and order some today.... Goathead proof is what i need!

I[strike]would rather not build the wheel with a dish----if that is possible----- HELP :cry: ..... plan on using the Rohloff hub[/strike]
A[strike]ny ideas on the best battery pack that will fit the Luna box---- 48v perhaps 20ah??? --- maybe i could run a 48v x 20ah and if there is enough room left over add a small spare in for limping home in case i run out of juice----[/strike]
and on that note-----what about solar charging while the bike is sitting and i am prospecting???? Ideas???

Domino throttle??? Heard about it but really dont know if it is worth it..

My 62nd birthday was Monday so this is my bday present to me....lol

Thanks for any help --

And Mike --dont lose any sleep over the detractor---- you cant fix them like you can a motor----- :lol:

Here's my two cents on Mike and Lightning Rods:

I started looking for a more efficient and quiet hunting vehicle around this time last year. I contacted Mike about putting his Small Block on my HardRock. I told him that I was also talking to Eric about the Luna frame. Mike's immediate response was to tell me that he was planning a Big Block drive for the Luna frame. He told me that it was going to take some time to test and build- which was common sense to me. High end customized products take time.

I waited for about 10 months for the R&D of the Luna drive to be perfected. I contacted Mike several times about the progress of the drive and he was always responded promptly. He updated me whenever he found an upgrade needed to be made and kept me informed of the progress. I really appreciate his attention to detail and his refusal to just throw something together and ship it out. He cares about the quality of the product he makes.

I've done some very limited test rides on the completed Luna bike and I've been very pleased so far. It was well worth the wait! I will not hesitate to do business with Mike in the future because I know he produces quality stuff and stands behind it.

Jeremy

pkirkll said:
Hello everyone,

Gathering up parts for Luna #9 LRBB :D

I need to know what the battery box inside dimensions are please.... Thx in advance--

And has anyone put moto tires and wheels on a Luna yet???? ---I would love to have some input on that before I go and order some today.... Goathead proof is what i need!

I would rather not build the wheel with a dish----if that is possible----- HELP :cry: ..... plan on using the Rohloff hub

Any ideas on the best battery pack that will fit the Luna box---- 48v perhaps 20ah??? --- maybe i could run a 48v x 20ah and if there is enough room left over add a small spare in for limping home in case i run out of juice----

and on that note-----what about solar charging while the bike is sitting and i am prospecting???? Ideas???

Domino throttle??? Heard about it but really dont know if it is worth it..

My 62nd birthday was Monday so this is my bday present to me....lol

Thanks for any help --

And Mike --dont lose any sleep over the detractor---- you cant fix them like you can a motor----- :lol:

I'm using a 52v 20ah from Luna. It easily fits the battery box (but you have to trim off at least one of the middle tabs that is used to mount the cover). I also used pieces of an old 1/2" thick foam sleeping pad to cushion the battery and keep it from rattling around in the box.

I'm afraid you may have an issue with pedal strike if you go to motto wheels. Eric warned me about that when I inquired.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy---
Mike is doing a great job!

Questions for you---- What wheels and tires are you using? --

Will they be ok from goatheads???

Do you have them where you are?

Did you have to build your rear wheel with a dish to make the chainline work?

I will be prospecting with mine and need stealth sometimes.... definitely need to get up hills and i think the rohloff will help me there....

Your bike is crazy looking!!!
i borrowed some of your pics and put them on my FB page to show people what i was getting--they all loved it!

I hope you didnt mind...... You have a winner there....
paul

I'm using a 52v 20ah from Luna. It easily fits the battery box (but you have to trim off at least one of the middle tabs that is used to mount the cover). I also used pieces of an old 1/2" thick foam sleeping pad to cushion the battery and keep it from rattling around in the box.

I'm afraid you may have an issue with pedal strike if you go to motto wheels. Eric warned me about that when I inquired.

Jeremy[/quote]

pedal strike-----??? why would moto wheels and tires cause a pedal strike? ------Do you mean striking the ground?

obviously i havent ridden bikes in some time--

Last thing i rode was a trike, and pedal strike there was when i hit my shin with the bearclaw pedals! during a crosschain at a red light!!--- yeeeeouch

The Luna longtail fatbike is configured to stand level when using 26-inch fat rims with 4-inch wide/tall tires (which has a similar outside diameter compared to a stock 29'r wheel). The most common moto rims used on ebikes so far are 17-inch and 19-inch. It is possible to get a taller moto rim and tire, but I don't know which would work best. If you use a wheel and tire that is smaller than the stock Luna wheels, then the pedals will spin very close to the ground, and when leaning into a turn, they might hit the ground.

I was going to go to a 26" x 2.12" Schwalbe "Big Ben" tire on the Luna. It's thick cased, tough, and speed rated to 50 km/hr. The stock Luna 4" tires should not be used for speeds above 20-25 mph.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_ben

Back