Lipo Video

etard

100 kW
Here's an interesting video of a Lipo battery being overcharged. This guy has all sort of hacks, I highly recommend subscribing to him.

Could not embed it for some reason, oh yeah, less than stellar computer skills. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4&NR=1

Yawn.

Ever (accidentally) reversed the polarity of a 300V 20,000uf electrolytic? (at 300V). Makes that look like a candle.

Break the rules, get the consequenses.

heathyoung said:
Well YAH, World Class Yahn... Watt he said? My YT Comment:
"Wow... this is such old news... Hopefully viewers in 2010 will wonder why the earth hasn't burnt to a crisp since this was posted? Still, fun for historical interests..."
LOKc

I would disagree on the 'world's most dangerous battery' point. First of all, it's just a cell, not a battery... It's not even the most dangerous chemistry. check out nail penetration on a LiCo cell versus a LiPo. Ill take the LiPo hands down. There are many tradeoffs and no obvious winner (when it comes to safety).

While he is somewhat of a Dramamine quern about it, I have never seen one overcharged so it was engaging to me. If anybody has a better video, please post. What I would actually like to see is one overcharged next to other batterie to see what effects this has on a whole pack of these cells.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/8vdOC8dN3_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/youtube]

This is a nail penetration of a lipo pack. It obviously should be taken seriously. But if you compare this with a LiCo 18650, you're in MUCH better shape:D If you search for that on youtube you won't find it, and theres good reason. Those videos are kept private for a reason :twisted:

Edit: not sure why The video won't embed properly sorry...

grindz145 said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/8vdOC8dN3_I&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/youtube]

This is a nail penetration of a lipo pack. It obviously should be taken seriously. But if you compare this with a LiCo 18650, you're in MUCH better shape:D If you search for that on youtube you won't find it, and theres good reason. Those videos are kept private for a reason :twisted:

Edit: not sure why The video won't embed properly sorry...

That is something to add to my list of cells to destroy on video this weekend. :) I've got loads of fresh 18650 to sacrifice. :)
I must admit though, I've seen them go "bang" and rupture the case like a firecracker, but I've never personally seen an 18650 blow flames yet, so it will be fun pushing them until they do. :)

I've got bunches of 5Ah LiPo cells. I've got a LiPo 17" macbook pro battery that puffed. I've got loads of 18650s. More headways cells to test, including over-volting until they do something (hopefully). It would be fun to get a big TS cell and just keep creeping up the voltage until something inside there breaks down through the separator, and it finds itself rapidly discharging internally. :) Going to do some tests dragging LiPo cells against the pavement until something happens as well. Hopefully that will give us an idea of what to expect in a major wreck with an unprotected pack, and hopefully it will be exciting. :)

Going to be filming with an EOS 5D full 1080P SLR camera, so it should make for some pretty good video quality. :)

I thing we should examin WHY the neil test on LiPO dont make it catch fire... and WHY overcharging it make it catch fire??

I know that what make these flames is the inflamable toxic gas that ignite... but WHY the neil dont make it to ignite and that the overcharge make it to ignite!

I guess that it's the way the pressure build up inside?.. the separator that break in a different way?

Any idea?

Can we make a nail test that ignite the cells and end into flammes?

Doc

Doctorbass said:
I thing we should examin WHY the neil test on LiPO dont make it catch fire...
Doc

Most nail-test videos on LiPo do explode into flames.

This reminds me of another test to try. Heating up a fully charged cell with a heat-gun until something happens. I can try it with a headways cell and a LiPo cell. :)

I get that puncturing a cell is not good, but, is puncturing it with a conductor (metal nail) worse than just puncture? I have dropped my LiPos, a friend has tried hard to overcharge till they burn without luck. While I definitely wouldn't want smoking gasses like in that video venting anywhere near me, I'm not too seriously concerned. Anything with decent energy density (except us animals) seems prone to some risk.

I can said something about it , I flown my rc airplane with lipo and I crash 2 time on frozen my lake .

the first crash due to a bad servo the plane goind at maybe 40mph when she it the ice with 6 inch of water at the top and hit hard the ice and made a puncture and change is form and still working the next day but the damaged cell can only charge at 3|4 of is capacity but now she's dead after fews fligth

I had mine burst in flames. But it was bound to burst into flames after the way I treated it..

3S1P lipo, hooked up to 4 of fully charged 55Ah SLA.. thats 48 V vs the 12.3V of the pack... I guess just before the flame burst, if every cell was considered same, they were getting 16V each..

I shot the video, but I cant upload.. since the experiment was done "inside" my school, without the authority knowing.. Even though my supervisor was with me during the experiment, after the explosive outcome, we decided it would be best not to upload it.. Since already one my video (me going 50km/h+ through the hallways, and then another video of going 80+kmph, caused a big stirr in my department :twisted: ) ... the video of me going 50 is still there, not the 80, that had to be removed..

The pack I used was 4S1P 5Ah 20C lipo from Hobbyking that was purchase on December, but was accidentally dropped(resulting in damage of one cell).. when trying to desolder the single cell , I made a mess of the pack.

The very next day I saw a video of Travis or someone cutting through a headway cell on youtube. Then I thought.. "hmm! maybe its not the overcharging that kills it, maybe its the AMOUNT and SEVERITY of overcharging that kills it". Lets say, the cells had (lets assume due to heat and fluffing) internal resistance of 50mohm.. 3 cells result in 150mOhm.. that would result in 240Amp charging current.. But then again, in real life, one cell had more resistance than the others. I^2*R meant more power went towards cell heating..

So charging each cell to three times their rated voltage ensured proper destruction.

I'm going to do another video, but this time with 6 SLA.. :twisted: and 2S :p!.. And this time HD video, OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL obviously :p

Back