LiPO Virgins Take a Look...

I was directed to this thread on RC Groups
as i have just obtained a Turnigy CA-120 motor as per this gentlemen has used to convert his ultralight to electric, this
however isn't why i made this thread. I was extremely impressed by this chaps battery setup, ZiPPY LiPo
packs to be precise, a shit load of them, attached to the wings of his ultra light...

Open%20Batts%20and%20Motors.jpg

Open%20Batts%20-%20CLOSE.jpg

Batts%20in%20wing.jpg

SoooOOO....Next time your worried about the dozen LiPO packs strapped to your e-bike or LiPo burning
your house down and raping all the babies when you charge them :roll: Think back about this
brave chap, fearless or stupid? you be the judge, either way he has more balls than anyone here when
it comes to using LiPO ...IMHO.

KiM

AJ, I read his thread this morning, and he actually did a failure analysis of that section of the wing. He felt he could return home if the cells went up and took the skin with it. He said he had "experienced" flying with either the top or bottom (I forgot which) skin missing on that part of the cord before. So brave, yes; foolish, not so much! Still a brave guy to strap it on and go flying. Great project.

Damn that's a lotta LiPo on that wing.

Moose, one has to wonder how well the wing's structure will withstand a plasma fire though. My money is on Not very well. lol :lol:

Can you elaborate a bit on the pictures?

I just see a bunch of battery strap to a plane. I know I'm missing the context so a bit of help would be appreciated.

qtipslea said:
Can you elaborate a bit on the pictures?

I just see a bunch of battery strap to a plane. I know I'm missing the context so a bit of help would be appreciated.

If you need an explanation....you ain't been here long enough :p ...go read some threads on LiPO
in the battery section of this forum and read the fuss some members here make over LiPO, its about at the stage on ES
people think LiPO will explode and take half your house out if you look at them wrong...Yes they
deserve respect as ALL batteries do, its just got to a point its laughable IMO

@YPedaL MaN... :mrgreen: you would have to be in a fireproof suit to get
within 60 foot of the plane don't be telling us you would rub your nose in them :mrgreen: Now,
wheres that picture of YPedaLMAN all dressed up to puncture ONE piddly 4v LiPO cell
in a premade concrete/brick enclosure HAHAA ...put your nose in them and sniff indeed Gaston.. :mrgreen: :p

KiM

Funny, I'm getting mental images of ol Ypedalman "motorboating" those packs of LiPo. :lol:

I'm going to start making LiPo cribs for babies. It helps prevent bed wetting. :)

Lot of naked packs does make me cringe just a bit. But at least that airplane won't just fall over by itself and puncture the packs. If he buries the nose of that thing in the dirt, a lipo fire is the least of his worries. I definitely see how he couldn't afford a heavy box for the batteries.

As for a potential fire, well, I bet he prefilights that thing a lot better than I preflight my bike. They won't go up for no reason. If he gets a puffy hot one, it's nicely seperated from the others. The presumably paralelled other 3 packs may get ruined with an overdischarge, but likely not actually get very hot.

Wish my racing battery stash looked like that.

If you look close enough, the packs do not seem to be sitting on anything structural.
The main wing spar is forward of the packs and they seem to be on their own structure, that is behind the spar.
As mentioned he has flown it without the skin on that section.

He ( hopefully ) will be be moving forward...so if the packs did start to burn, then they are goign to drop burning stuff down and backwards...In to the tail planc maybe? not sure what is back behind there.

But it looks like the wingspar would be safe even if they did burn

On one hand, I hear how safe lipo is.

On the other, I hear how well the aircraft is prepared, in the event the packs explode.

My .02 from the crib. :p

If it was so darn safe the guy wouldn't have placed them there and needed to do an analysis of how the plane would fly without that section of wing skin. Had that analysis gone different, I guarantee the mounting would have been different, probably some kind of quick release lipo bomb kinda deal.

As long as it has the best price/performance ratio, I'll continue to use these RC Lipo packs, but that's my personal decision. I won't expose my kids or others to that risk though, because they aren't armed with adequate info to make a decision. Something happens while riding, just stop and get off. Something happens while charging, take a shovel and toss it out in the yard. It's only the unattended event, however rare, that is my real concern. That's why my lipo is on bikes outdoors where an event can't burn the house down, or stored in a manner and location that a spontaneous combustion cannot cause serious damage. I'm not the least bit worried about an explosion, because I don't seal my lipo up tightly in any kind of metal container.

Luke, please send me a few of those cribs for hacking. :mrgreen:

Ypedal said:
Well.. here is a snapshot of my dining room covered in lipo..

that's a total of 20 packs of various capacities and cell counts being bulk charged with not a single BMS in sight...

A safety nazi. i am not.. :eek:

This pic has sent my WAF meter to overload :mrgreen:
***« WAF : wife acceptance factor »

Still trying to work out the control surfaces, only one virtical rear stab mmmmmm

TylerDurden said:
On one hand, I hear how safe lipo is.

On the other, I hear how well the aircraft is prepared, in the event the packs explode.

My .02 from the crib. :p

Once I witnessed my Lipo batteries from an RC car go up in flames in my carpet at home by my desk (luckily I was there), I'm a bit freaked out by them. $50 charger was purchased with the packs from a local RC dealer too! Ugh.

handcarve1 - the joystick works a pushrod up the tube that angles up to support the wing - I reckon there's ailerons out there....
Those pictures look stunning - anyone know how many watts you need to fly a micr & therefore how long it'll stay up?

I read the thread - 3kW and 1.9hrs. Worth reading the thread, the guy is (for want of a better word) awesome! He designed the original plane for 2stroke motors years ago & has flown it as an electric seaplane & an amphibian.

I don't know, I have overcharged mine to 4.3V...Over discharged them to 2.7 and they still just keep on tickin, Hell, I still get the full 10AH out of them! LOL! I LOVE me some LiPo!!

that dude has done real good, he is also the designer of that lazair plane decades ago, he rewound those tunigy 120 motors with 1.5 times the copper then bought bigger joby motors for it -i bought his rewound 120's later on.
seems like he knows what he's doing. :wink:

He's def got me wanting to fly.

Back