• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Lipo vs acid lead

thanks guys !!

So i was running 2 enerwatt lead acid 12v battery plug in series to get 24V.
Battery was rated at 12 Ah each.

If i take 6s lipo 12Ah (2x6000 mah) to power the same ebike, what kind of improvement
i can expect in speed and run time ???

In regard to run time - one 6S 6000mAh will deliver about what your 12Ah labeled capacity SLA delivers.

Speed may be slightly less at the beginning of your ride but RC Lipo won't sag as much and will exhibit more linear voltage/speed drop over the course of discharge.

Due to less sag the system will simply feel more "perky" until empty.

Rc Lipo also charges much faster if you have the equipment to do so....

Not a ton of improvement in speed, but some. Particularly, better leaving a stop sign, and better up a steep hill.

You will double your range with 12 ah of lithium of any kind. You will see a big increase even if you just use 10 ah. Figure on getting real world use of 80% of the stated size.

Do this for sure, because your batteries will last so much longer if you really only use about 80% of the capacity, so a 10 ah pack will get you 8 ah of usable battery and still be treating it very nice.

Read up about the RC lico chemisty batteries if you are planning on using them. As I always say, don't store them or charge them in a place you wouldn't build a fire. You might look at lithium manganese, there are several types which are less likely to cause a fire now. They are just as small and light as lico, or even smaller.

Back