LMX 64 : Freeride Ebike with dual drive and torque sensor

Yes we use SKF bearings in the motor and pivot for the 64 to make sure it lasts a long time.
Here a vlog with some production updates and details, wrapped in riding footage and audio :
[youtube]In73zfpHj4k[/youtube]

You are killing us with these videos :D
The waiting time is unbearable :mrgreen:

But seriously.. I really appriciate that you are taking the time to get all the details right..
When i see your attention to the small details, I know i chose the right bike!

Awsome video BTW

its the same but smaller smaller size rotor , otherwise will be overkill in power and heavy

Everyday I open this thread and think very hard about needing both kidneys. This is simply the ultimate factory ebike to my mind.

Thanks Adam. Will it be possible to go pas only or throttle only? Like configuring the power delivery options in the control unit on the handlebar?

I was thinking along the same line, with PAS only you would surely smash into something, but was wondering if you could do Torque assist only, no throttle or brake cutouts just to reduce wiring and make it look more inconspicuous..

Can someone explain to me, how the dual drive system of LMX is better or different than a bike with Schlumpf high speed drive (like for example HPC Revolution bike). Obviously a bike with Schlumpf is not dual in a sense of two separate chain drives, but what about longevity, power delivery, reliability etc.?

mxs said:
Can someone explain to me, how the dual drive system of LMX is better or different than a bike with Schlumpf high speed drive (like for example HPC Revolution bike). Obviously a bike with Schlumpf is not dual in a sense of two separate chain drives, but what about longevity, power delivery, reliability etc.?

Schlumpf speed drive replaces a bikes bottom bracket and offers an overdrive pedal gear ratio for pedaling at higher motored speeds and is used on some high power hub motor bikes such as stealth fighter, etc.. LMX uses derailleur and multi speed cassette for closely spaced pedal gear ratios needed for mountain bike trail riding.. the advantage of lmx dual drive is that motor power will not wear on the pedal drive since they are separate.. isn't hpc revolution still hub drive, so really no comparison to mid drive for off road trail riding..

The Revolution bikes are mid drive. Maybe in the past they used to be hub drive, I am not sure ...

Have a look here .... https://hpcbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/revolution-m

From efficiency standpoint, wouldn't the losses on the Schlumpf be notably lower? I mean when I talked to people who make Kuberg Freerider, they spoke at length how a wrongly tensed chain can easily rob you of power. So I am thinking two chain drives must be paying efficiency price somewhere? Also, nobody else has done this sort of dual drive eMTB, at least to my knowledge. If the LMX guys figured something others have not, this could easily explain that and it would be great for them obviously.

I am just trying to figure out, if both bike could be had for the same money, which system wins?

mxs said:
The Revolution bikes are mid drive. Maybe in the past they used to be hub drive, I am not sure ...

Have a look here .... https://hpcbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/revolution-m

From efficiency standpoint, wouldn't the losses on the Schlumpf be notably lower? I mean when I talked to people who make Kuberg Freerider, they spoke at length how a wrongly tensed chain can easily rob you of power. So I am thinking two chain drives must be paying efficiency price somewhere? Also, nobody else has done this sort of dual drive eMTB, at least to my knowledge. If the LMX guys figured something others have not, this could easily explain that and it would be great for them obviously.

I am just trying to figure out, if both bike could be had for the same money, which system wins?

LMX has done something new that's why they have a patent on their dual drive rear hub.. (there is an Italian company and others now copying LMX dual drive design but not sure if they use lmx rear hub for motor side freewheeling or not..)

also hpc mid drive does not use schlumpf (because the motor is now located there) and hpc uses bafang mid motor lol.. so with hpc you can get hub drive with schlumpf or mid drive with bafang motor and no schlumpf.. schlumpf also has losses but I think you may be missing that schlumpf is for a bikes pedal drive only, and has nothing to do with the motor drive.. most mid drive emtbs use low power through the bicycle pedal drive train so that if you run higher power it will drastically increase drive train wear.. LMX solved this problem with their dual drive system by separating the pedal and motor drive trains..

I wouldn't take the HPC over the LMX even if the cost was the same.
Trying to push a very heavy bike using a powerful serial mid-drive makes for a chain breaker, that Banfang unit was never designed for those big enduro style frames. My Downhill Cyclone build is fun but hard on components (unless you are very gentle) and you can do very little actual pedalling.

A decent sized motor can easily operate up to fast ebike speeds up the steepest grades using just one gear, your legs simply don't have that kind of RPM range. Going to a dual chainline allows you to pick the cadence.
Also you can shift under full motor power, you only make that mistake once with a serial drive.

Progress ongoing on the preordered bikes, The CNC headtube parts will be there Thursday so we can weld the front frames.

We improved our anodizing setup, so we will try to anodise details parts like the suspension flip chip and the derailleur hanger.

Some have asked about mudguards for the back wheel, those will be included by default :

IMG_20190305_154407_compressed2.jpg

I have used Schlumpf's since 2001 and had all three versions over that time span. I don't use the Mtn. Drive anymore but still have the Speed and High Speed drive in service both having many miles on them both as pedal only and on my eRoad bikes. They are built for the long haul for sure.

I use front hub motors exclusively so as this quote suggests: "Also you can shift under full motor power, you only make that mistake once with a serial drive." By isolating the motor from the human drive you can shift as you would normally no matter what the motor is doing. I find this a smart way to go and in the end gives me the most natural feeling of riding a pedal type bike and provides long term drive train reliability.

The LMX looks like a quality effort and kudos to the people involved.

bzhwindtalker said:
Progress ongoing on the preordered bikes, The CNC headtube parts will be there Thursday so we can weld the front frames.

We improved our anodizing setup, so we will try to anodise details parts like the suspension flip chip and the derailleur hanger.

Some have asked about mudguards for the back wheel, those will be included by default :

IMG_20190305_154407_compressed2.jpg

IMG_20190305_154422_compressed2.jpg
Awesome! I need a mud guard so this is great for me. I would like a longer one, but I can make an extension probably using my 3D printer. :D

Any word on the possibility of extra mount points for a second battery?

Cheers

Glad to see some updates on the LMX64. The weather here is crap but I don't care, I'm eager to get my new 64 and go trail riding :)
Good to hear about the head stock and the mud guard. In the meantime, more videos please!! :bigthumb:

It's so amazing to see a couple of young guys doing pretty much everything in house and not having to rely on the far east for anything. True Endless Sphere guru's.

Beautiful work!
How will you treat the unpainted, raw alu frame?

I love that you are taking time for details like mudgurad and anodized bits and pieces.
That head tube is NICE!!!!

I came here looking for more video logs but nothing new yet :( LMX, if you got the time between not building bikes, please go for a spin in the woods (preferable with the camera :) )

Back