Long E-bike trip - 35 miles up into Rocky foothills

It was a hot day in Fort Collins and I wanted to do something fun... so I decided to take a long-ish trip on my electric bicycle. I packed some water, charged the e-bike battery pack to close-to-full, I added new batteries to my GPS and reset the trip statistics and headed out.

I kept the pace fairly light (it was around 100F/37C in the shade) and followed mostly along Fort Collins excellent bicycle trail system. There are several "No motor vehicles" signs along the trails, but I was riding at about 10-15mph and decided that no one would care that I had a little motor assistance. Besides, there weren't many out bicycling around noon on a somewhat humid 100F day.

I pedaled pretty much the whole time - in fact, I would probably say that I did about half the work on the trip - although in the steeper sections, the motor helped more. IT was definitely nice having electric assist though. Among other things, it was really hot... I wouldn't have considered such a long trip on a day like today on my road bike (I'm a hot weather wimp).

I followed the river once I headed north out of town and discovered where everyone in the city was... sitting in rafts, inner-tubes, kayaks, canoes and just swimming in the river. I could have ridden across the river on my (70lbs) bike without getting wet just crossing on all the floatational devices out there today. Apparently the thing to do on a hot July Sunday in Fort Collins is to sit on an inner-tube and float down the Cache la Poudre river through town. I never knew.

The map shows my route - the purple was the trip there, then I went back a different way indicated in red. I got lost a couple of times (no maps on my GPS) and I stopped at a coffee shop for iced coffee at one point so there's a couple of side-trips.

I took a picture at the lake at the turn-around point of the trip - up at the top of the map, at Watson Lake near Bellvue, Colorado . If I'd been thinking, I'd have made a photo diary of the trip... but I'm one of those people who forgets they have a camera unless they see something really cool... like the lake at the turn-around.

The details (from Garmin Foretrex 101 GPS):
Max. speed: 29.8mph (I cut loose on a road at one point to keep up with traffic).
Trip odometer: 35.0 miles
Moving avg. speed: 13.2mph
Moving time: 2hrs. 39min.

Battery details:
Start resting voltage: 50.02V (50.2V would be full...)
End resting voltage: 44.72V (~36V would be totally empty)
Total charge back in the battery: 12.23Ah

Temperature:
Ambient air temperature: 99.1F/37.3C
Battery temp at turn-around: 100.6F/38.1C (measured from a probe in center of pack)
Motor case temp at turn-around: warm to the touch - around ambient

Attachments

• IMG_1388_m.JPG
    IMG_1388_m.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,227
That's a 'bute... :wink:

Did the breeze from riding help keep you cool?

A river running through it, what a beautiful view! Too bad your bike doesn't float, so you could tread the cool waters too.

That's the nice thing about the Colorado front range. There are some sweet roads around Ft. Collins and Boulder where you really feel like you're "out in the countryside" From my house in Denver though it would probably take several hours to even get to that point. Still, I have the Cherry Creek, Platte River, and High Line Canal all within a close distance to my house and all connected to one another. That would actually be a pretty impressive loop of probably 80 miles.

Good to see that the controller didn't overheat.

35 miles is a good bike trip. Much more than that and the seat starts to ache.

How much reserve do you think you had left in it? how many miles?

Hello :)
Nice view.
"Cache la Poudre River" is a funny name (although not funny at the origin I suppose) that sounds french.
I like "long" trips with quiet speed too, but here it's not easy because I live in a hilly area, so the motor and battery are tired soon !
I have already burned 1 Goldenmotor and 1 NiMH battery after a couple of weeks of use.
I am waiting for a replacement motor. Please Mr Golden, be fast, I NEED to ride !

TylerDurden said:
That's a 'bute... :wink: Did the breeze from riding help keep you cool?
<laugh> Puns should be be a bannable offense. ;) No, it didn't help all that much. I think I was pedalling too much.
eehlert said:
Good to see that the controller didn't overheat.
You know, I didn't even think of that. Yeah, I didn't seem to have problems with anything overheating.
E=IR said:
How much reserve do you think you had left in it? how many miles?
It appears that I had approximately 33% left (12Ah used out of 18Ah) based on what I put back in. I don't think that I would want to cut it that close on these cells... cobalt lithium cells don't like to be fully drained. So I could probably drain out the full 18Ah once, but I'd pay for it by reducing the capacity of the pack permanently. But I'd still bet that I could have gone another 15% - maybe another 4-5 miles - without any problems.
tifalou said:
Cache la Poudre River" is a funny name (although not funny at the origin I suppose) that sounds french.
Yeah, it is a French name. The French buried a bunch of gunpowder on the banks of the river - hence the name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_La_Poudre_River
Most people here just call it "the Poudre" or the Poudre River.

It appears that I had approximately 33% left (12Ah used out of 18Ah) based on what I put back in.

Do you recall the cell or pack voltage at the end of your ride?

xyster said:
It appears that I had approximately 33% left (12Ah used out of 18Ah) based on what I put back in.

Do you recall the cell or pack voltage at the end of your ride?

Yes. It's in the top post. 44.72V resting. I also checked the two 6S packs as well - one was 22.48V, the other 22.24V.

patrick_mahoney said:
Yes. It's in the top post. 44.72V resting. I also checked the two 6S packs as well - one was 22.48V, the other 22.24V.

Thanks. So right about the 3.70 volt per cell level -- just above where I got into trouble.

Back